Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 05:12 PM
LFF LFF started this thread

18 posts, read 118,691 times

Advertisements

Hello Baltimore!

We are moving to Baltimore (from Capitol Hill) and are looking for a house to buy. I don't need to be advised to move elsewhere (I do appreciate the sentiment though. FWIW, Capitol Hill has worse crime than any of the neighborhoods I've looked at in Baltimore!) as we're set on the move.

After several trips to the city to look at neighborhoods, I really like Federal Hill. We're looking for something semi-gentrified and semi-yuppie. We'd like restaurants, bars, and shops that are within walking distance. Federal Hill has these things but price is an issue ($400,000 max) and you don't get much for your dollar there ... and parking looks like a nightmare! We've also been to Union Square, which I liked as a neighborhood, but really didn't have the restaurant/shopping aspect at all. There are some other neighborhoods we liked but are beyond our willingness to commute. We need to stay near I-95/295.

Does anyone have anything that may help to contribute about Union Square or other neighborhoods? What's the deal with Catonsville and Ridgely's Delight? Ellicott City would be another option but we really would like a neighborhood with a lot of semi-yuppie activities.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 03:53 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,598,386 times
Well, it's a buyers market. If you are set on Federal Hill do some more shopping and I think you may get what you want. Just like DC, Baltimore has parking issues in every neighborhood. The other areas you mentioned are fine also. Two other thoughts: a good friend of mine moved to Catonsville years ago and is now a bit disgruntled with that decision. It could just be her and the particular area she is in. You may find a bigger home for less money in Patterson Park area. There are a couple of big places along Baltimore Street for sale.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:54 AM

315 posts, read 1,300,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFF View Post
Hello Baltimore!
We are moving to Baltimore (from Capitol Hill) and are looking for a house to buy. I don't need to be advised to move elsewhere (I do appreciate the sentiment though. FWIW, Capitol Hill has worse crime than any of the neighborhoods I've looked at in Baltimore!) as we're set on the move.
Not going to try and change your mind as you say the decision has already been made. But, as a point of clarification, I work and socialize on Capitol Hill and have for nearly 20 years, I also live in Baltimore, and can tell you unequivocally the crime anywhere in Baltimore is worse than Capitol Hill. Your perception of the crime in Baltimore may not be realistic because, as you say, you are only just looking at neighborhoods. Be prepared for a dose of reality once you move. I wish you good luck-you'll need it.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:39 AM

689 posts, read 3,216,347 times
I lived on Capitol Hill and it was a nightmare. Living in Pigtown, I haven't experienced near the amount of crime and I find the people here to be a lot friendlier.

Ridgely's Delight is a lovely little neighborhood near mine, and if I didn't live here -- I'd probably live there. You would be very close to Federal Hill, downtown, the stadiums, and 95/295.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:33 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,448,499 times
Of all the Baltimore suburbs, Catonsville comes closest to the feel of a small town. It has a wide mix of housing stock, from great Victorian houses to handsome 1920s colonials of the kind you find in Chevy Chase, but at 1/4th the price, and 1950s ranches and split levels. The main street in Catonsville has a mix of businesses, and while not glamorous, is busy enough.

It's not an urban area, and if you want the rowhouse feel, you may want to look in Bolton Hill. There are a few rowhouses available in the low 400s.
boltonhill.org > index

Large three-four story 19th century townhouses for the gentry. It's similar in architecture to Union Square, but has much more of a neighborhood feel (and safer). MICA is located in Bolton Hill. There are only two eateries in the neighborhood (both very good), but Mount Vernon is only a ten minute walk away.

Bolton Hill is just off Martin Luther King Boulevard, and a hop, jump, skip to I-95. Or you could walk to Penn Station and take the train.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawlmer View Post
Not going to try and change your mind as you say the decision has already been made. But, as a point of clarification, I work and socialize on Capitol Hill and have for nearly 20 years, I also live in Baltimore, and can tell you unequivocally the crime anywhere in Baltimore is worse than Capitol Hill. Your perception of the crime in Baltimore may not be realistic because, as you say, you are only just looking at neighborhoods. Be prepared for a dose of reality once you move. I wish you good luck-you'll need it.
Again, thanks for the sentiment. Where are you in Baltimore and how long does it take you to commute to DC? I don't need to commute that far south but it would be helpful.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post
Of all the Baltimore suburbs, Catonsville comes closest to the feel of a small town. It has a wide mix of housing stock, from great Victorian houses to handsome 1920s colonials of the kind you find in Chevy Chase, but at 1/4th the price, and 1950s ranches and split levels. The main street in Catonsville has a mix of businesses, and while not glamorous, is busy enough.

It's not an urban area, and if you want the rowhouse feel, you may want to look in Bolton Hill. There are a few rowhouses available in the low 400s.
boltonhill.org > index

Large three-four story 19th century townhouses for the gentry. It's similar in architecture to Union Square, but has much more of a neighborhood feel (and safer). MICA is located in Bolton Hill. There are only two eateries in the neighborhood (both very good), but Mount Vernon is only a ten minute walk away.

Bolton Hill is just off Martin Luther King Boulevard, and a hop, jump, skip to I-95. Or you could walk to Penn Station and take the train.

Thanks for the information! Bolton Hill (and Patterson Park) did sound interesting but I'm really concerned about the traffic getting to the 95 area. Do you have any idea how bad Martin Luther King Boulevard is in the morning during rush hour?

Unfortunately the train isn't a possibility for commuting for us as there's no stop near work.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:03 PM

I'm in Upper Fells/Butchers Hill area. It takes me 45 min by car. I leave at 5:30 a.m. It takes me about 1 hour 10 min by Marc train from Camden Station.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolott View Post
I lived on Capitol Hill and it was a nightmare. Living in Pigtown, I haven't experienced near the amount of crime and I find the people here to be a lot friendlier..
Be interested in hearing specifics of your Capitol Hill nightmare. I can't imagine any place in the DC with more cops per square mile.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:05 PM

15 posts, read 102,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFF View Post
Thanks for the information! Bolton Hill (and Patterson Park) did sound interesting but I'm really concerned about the traffic getting to the 95 area. Do you have any idea how bad Martin Luther King Boulevard is in the morning during rush hour?

Unfortunately the train isn't a possibility for commuting for us as there's no stop near work.
MLK is no picnic. My guess is 15-20 minutes to get from Eutaw Place to 395. (just a guess . . . I actually travel NORTH on MLK daily, not south).

If you lived in Ridgley's Delight, you could avoid MLK . . . though you still have 95 or 295 to contend with of course. Carol's right: it's a nice area. Also, there are areas just south of Federal Hill where you can get good deals if you're carefull.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore