Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 06:49 PM

9 posts, read 78,581 times

Advertisements

[Moderator: See next posting.]

Last edited by Mike from back east; 10-05-2006 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: Splitting Thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2006, 08:17 AM
klo

1 posts, read 29,062 times
Maybe moving to Marlyand with 3 kids (4,3 and 5 mths) and 2 dogs. Where is a good town with nice neighborhoods, good food and shopping. My husband will need to commute to Johns Hopkins everyday. Is it safe near the Hospital? Help!

Old 10-25-2006, 12:55 PM

12 posts, read 169,199 times
I would recommend stay well away from John Hopkins University. The area is well known for crime. There is a subway that runs from east to west out to Owings Mills, MD. A light rail line runs from north to south. I would recommend finding a place out towards Owings Mills, Ellicot City, Catonsville, Timonium, Towson, or Hunt Valley. The neighborhoods are much better with better resources than what is available in the city. The city itself has some neighborhoods that are good but the city services and schools are abysmal. There ample public transportation along with roads to and from the city.

Old 10-26-2006, 12:30 PM

628 posts, read 695,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanguy2821 View Post
I would recommend stay well away from John Hopkins University. The area is well known for crime. There is a subway that runs from east to west out to Owings Mills, MD. A light rail line runs from north to south. I would recommend finding a place out towards Owings Mills, Ellicot City, Catonsville, Timonium, Towson, or Hunt Valley. The neighborhoods are much better with better resources than what is available in the city. The city itself has some neighborhoods that are good but the city services and schools are abysmal. There ample public transportation along with roads to and from the city.
Please note she said John Hopkins Hospital--the University is not in the same neighborhood The University is off No Charles Street. I would recommend Owings Mills--As you stated the Subway from Owing Mills stop @ Johns Hopkins Hospital--

Old 12-04-2006, 10:54 AM

7 posts, read 71,519 times
My Mother works at both the Hospital and the University and she lives in Ellicott City.

Howard County is supposedly known for having one of the best school systems in the country. The highschools aren't anything special but the elm &middle schools are good.

If you buy an older home you'll get a decent sized yard and if not there are lots of safe, clean parks.

The commute might be kind of rough though. And you definitely won't find a single family home for under $400,000.

Old 12-06-2006, 10:14 PM

22 posts, read 196,543 times
Default Live on the East side

Although there are great places to live in the west and northwest directions from Baltimore City, I think you would regret the long commutes with lots of traffic around interstate 695. I personally recommend living closer to Johns Hopkins, either in a city neighborhood such as Highlandtown or Canton or in a suburban neighborhood, such as in Essex-Middle River, White Marsh, or even in Anne Arundel County. Keep us updated.

Old 02-25-2007, 06:13 AM

5 posts, read 87,942 times
I, myself work at the School of Medicine, which is attached to JHH. I would highly recommend Lutherville, which is about 15 miles from downtown/Hopkins and a Historic District. The schools are voted National Blue Ribbon schools and the crime is low, with phenomenal access to the interstate and the beltway. Prices are not bad compared to Columbia and Ellicott City. Also, there is a Light Rail train right down the road. In order to mass transit commute to the hospital it is a tiny bit inconvenient because you have to hop the light rail to the subway, and then the subway drops you right off at the hospital. Back to Lutherville, the drive commute is not too bad as you would take I-83 all the way into town. Traffic is bad during the normal commute times, but I go in at 7 and leave at 3:30, so it's not bad at those times. Shopping is close and Trader Joes in Towson is about 10 min away (as well as a decent mall there)! Parking is expensive @ Hopkins (we pay about $115/mo). The east side, where the Hospital is located, is treacherous but Hopkins has TONS of security in the buildings and on every street corner. Stay away from the living in the city area and put the kids in the county schools. FYI, Rodgers Forge is also very popular with great schools, but very pricey and I think it's predominately condo/townhome sales (about as axpensive as a SF home in Lutherville). Lutherville is primarily SF homes with 2 apartment complexes and a few TH/condo areas on the outskirts, hence it is very stable.

Old 02-25-2007, 03:26 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,805,637 times
Kio -- If I were you, I would seriously consider a neighborhood with an easy access to the Metro subway that runs to Johns Hopkins Hospital. I live in Mount Washington. When my wife fell ill and I needed to go to JHH twice a day for a month, I first drove and then realized it taxed me too much in energy as well as in gasoline and parking costs. I ended up driving either to the Rodgers Avenue or Patterson Plaza Metro stations, parking in the free lot and paying just over $3 for a daily ticket.
In inclement weather, you can walk from the JHH Metro station right to the hospital, using an underground walkway. Doesn't get much better than that.

Old 05-16-2007, 05:18 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,299,350 times
troz if you interest in a home to purchase in baltimore I have a completely rehab home that is 5 mins from John Hopkins for sale.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:07 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,299,350 times
Here is a link to the property which is 90% completed.

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/rfs/332396609.html (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore