Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 05:42 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,420,131 times

Advertisements

So, when can you start sharing the menu choices? I'm DYING to see what yummies you'll be serving!!!

Excited for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 05:46 PM

160 posts, read 370,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
So, when can you start sharing the menu choices? I'm DYING to see what yummies you'll be serving!!!

Excited for you!
Once we get more things finalized, Lynn and I will let you know. We have been experimenting on family and friends. So far, the food has been very positive. Sorry to whet your appetite more.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:58 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,420,131 times
Uhuh! Feel free to experiment on us!!

Old 12-05-2007, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Uhuh! Feel free to experiment on us!!
Hahaha! We seem to have lots of volunteers!

Old 12-05-2007, 06:11 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,098,129 times
you know if you pack anything properly it ships well! lol....we could really give you an idea of the "Maine impression" of the foods

Old 12-05-2007, 06:21 PM

I guess I better log off and get cookin'!

Old 12-06-2007, 05:28 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,207,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn and Russ View Post
I guess I better log off and get cookin'!
good luck lynn and russ!!

just a couple suggestions, if you serve beer, have an inexpensive one all the time,,like pbr under 2.00

and if fried clams are on the menu, have the whole ones,,not just the clam necks

and if you have a wireless connection to the internet, you's be a destination point for the travelling business folks and it wold be added business throughout the day, not just the peak times.

many folks love restaurant quality foods,,but dont have the time to sit down and eat, if you had food warmers and "meals to go" packaged, this would open up your customer base, to the working folks "picking up something" on thier way home, and also, the workingclass, that will eat "on the go"
now i know the concept of a sit down restaurant is to sit down,,,but you would be unique,,you'd have both,,for folks to sit down,,if they have the time,,or "grabngo" folks who dont, also look at it this way,,it would also be "sampling" (in the food warmers) and if the folks liked it,,they will be back to try other entrees.
word of mouth is still one of the best advertisements,, restaurants is a highly competitive marketplace, the quality of food, and atmosphere is vital, but to cover all bases, have a few cheap entrees also.
i stopped going to many restaurants i use to go, not because i couldnt afford it,,but i felt i was being gouged on the little things, it stings,, for example,,charging 1.99-2.49 just for a soda,(mostly ice) and not being refillable,,or 3.00 for one scoop of ice cream, or 2.00 for a plain coffee.
think of volume,,not margin at first,,make friends first and the business will come (not just once, but repeatedly)
if you are price-friendly, and people feel that, they will "trade-up" entrees at higher prices.
also, because you are an independent, you also carry the image of the restaurant, greet the customers, and come out to the tables to say hi,,and ask for feedback, the more that get to know you on a firsthand basis, the more loyalty you will have.

also, id suggest at least 4-5 items, folks dont see anywhere's else,,just unique to you, for example if you do sandwiches, everybody does a pulled pork sandwich,,,i dont see any "pulled-beef" sandwiches,,( just slow cook a chuck roast)
for the placemats on the table, id think about cooking suggestions, food trivia, that ties into your menu, something that folks can read while waiting,,
or promote birthday parties for kids (pizza parties are very popular) and catering to go if you offer it.
offering cooking classes are gaining momentum,,,a place to go watching a chef cook an entree,,showing different techniques while having a glass of wine,
and if you have a website, offer the meals to go, with pretty pictures, once you get to know your customer base,,you will meet many woman that work at offices, that would welcome either daily special faxes, or emails.
and if you do cook burgers,,i wouldnt do frozen patties, red robin, ruby tuesdays, and most restaurants do,,,
you can be better ...buy the ground chuck and make the fresh patties yourselves, i can immediately detect a frozen patty, ,,usually has the cardboard consistency, and no matter how well its dressed up, i cant believe i paid over 3-4 dollars for a cardboard patty.
if you offer a hot-dog on a kids menu,,jordans, or rice's is the most popular natural casing frank in central maine (customers will recognize this brand name)
appetizers are great,,,just watch the price, i love buffalo wings and stuffed mushrooms, but if they are perceived as expensive, i wont have an appetizer,,thats what i mean by volume, not margin.
going out to eat is a treat, but many think "whats for dinner" everyday, and juggle, whether they will buy something and cook it themselves, or stop at a restaurant,,,and if disposable income is getting tight...its more of a challenge to bring folks in,,thats why i keep saying,,offer some inexpensive entree's.

again good luck, i will patronize your place once you open,,,i love the american dream, someone willing to take the high risk of opening thier own place,,, its very expensive to do so, have many sleepless nights, usually exhausted once the place opens, and have a thousand details everyday to deal with..i admire anyone doing this!!!!

the suggestions above are just my two cents worth!!

Old 12-06-2007, 06:08 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,845,145 times
Very good suggestions!

Old 12-06-2007, 07:16 AM

the suggestions above are just my two cents worth!![/quote]

We welcome any suggestions and insight that one may have. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with some of those.

Our goal is to make sure that anyone from a student to a large family can afford to eat at our place. The menu will be different than what is offered in the area. We have been talking about a full and half portion offering. Most of the items will be fresh and made in the kitchen. In fact we want to tap into the local farms and butchers to make sure everything stays as fresh as it can be. Also take out or "grab n go" will be available as well.

PBR will be on tap and hopefully Smithwick's as well since those two are my favorites.

We are very excited and equally as nervous and cautious about opening a new place in Maine. Lynn and I think that taking our time and really get it planned out will be one of the major keys to it surviving. Of course the most important one is that each of you not only have a wonderful meal but a great experience and a funtime as well. We will definitely be hands on and accessible owners. You may get tired of seeing my mug but definitely not Lynn's. She is the beauty and brains behind it. Me, just a figurehead. LOL!

Old 12-06-2007, 10:12 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,076,556 times
" PBR will be on tap and hopefully Smithwick's as well since those two are my favorites."

After having had Smithwick's, how could you possibly like PBR? (LOL)

Guinness, Murphy's, Speckled Hen, Bass, Young's Double Chocolate Stout, Oatmeal Stout, Dirty Dick's London Porter.

(I won't offer to supply any unique small-batch brews because you'd have to keep them hidden from the revenoors.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area