Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 08:27 PM

10 posts, read 25,982 times

Advertisements

HI IM AFRAID THIS IS MY FIRST TIME HERE XX
IM FROM ENGLAND IN THE UK AND I AM MOVING OVER HERE IN SEPTEMBER TO START AT YEAR AT ORONO UNIVERSITY.
I WAS JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE HAD SOME ADVICE ON THE NICEST PLACE TO RENT A HOUSE THATS NEAR THE UNI AND SCHOOLS. I DONT MIND TRAVELLING A BIT AS LONG AS THERE IS A BUS ROUTE OR IF I COULD BUY A CHEAP CAR.
ITS QUITE OVERWHELMING ORGANISING ESPECIALLY AS I HAVE TO BRING MY CHILDREN WITH ME. IF ANYONE HAS ANY ADVICE OF A NICE PLACE TO STAY THATS REASONABLY PRICED OR ANY ADVICE THAT WOULD HELP US I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT
I ALSO HAVE 6 YEARS IN THE TRAVEL INDUSTRY AND CUSTOMER SERVICE.. IS IT EASY TO FIND WORK WHEN I GET HERE ?? NEED TO PUT FOOD ON THE TABLE XX
XX MANY THANKS XXX
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 03:45 AM

134 posts, read 515,441 times
cheska,

I wish you answer(s) to your questions. I wish I could provide some valuable insight for you but I have been in Europe (Germany/Turkey) the last 15 years and although originally from Maine, back on visits and being there in a couple of weeks for another visit, I don't have any specific information. Not sure what you are looking for as a job but there are plenty of part time type jobs especially when the school year is in session. One thing you will notice is that the british pound is worth twice what the U.S. dollar is so money you take with you will go allot further however if you want to go back to the UK, the money you earned while working in the states will go half as far. I have been in many a british house/apartment over the years and they always seemed so darn small to me. You will be able to get a small (by american standards) apartment that will feel ok to you and for a cheaper price. It is getting extremely expensive in Europe as a whole.

Good luck ... I am sure I will remember your post when I drive by Orono on my way up Interstate 95 in a couple of weeks.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:05 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,717,731 times
There are numerous rentals in and around Orono. How many kids and how many total? I know some body who will rent an apartment in their own home. It has a separate entrance, but they don't want 4 college guys in there.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:37 PM

hi l xx i have a 16yr old daughter and my son is 12 we are looking for somewhere quiet and pretty but within walking/biking or bus services to schools and university. hopefully i will get work if i get the correct visa as an exchange visa will allow for both myself and daughter to work part time. i will need some information on a nice school for my son that he could manage to find his way home to until i finish university...
I have 6 years in the ferry industry with a big emphasis on customer service. i deal with passports making ticket reservations passenger and freight departments. i speak a little spanish german and french but not much.xx ive been learning polish and dutch but its quite dificult. i can get by speaking spanish but not correctly i dont think. i spent an extra year at college and got my travel agents diploma with some other vocational diplomas too, i work on my pc constantly. and yes google does come in handy....
its a great job but i also need to work more in the community ....i have looked after 3 teenagers a few years ago now who had been in the social services care system and it has opened my eyes to the issues of families and communities. this is one of the reasons i have gone to university so i can be qualified to pursue my options.xxx i absolutely love talking to people and love to hear peoples stories.xx. i will adapt to anything as i have a passion about most things and new adventures enthrall me. i am not a typical 18to 20 year old student im afraid(wish i was though) lol... im 36 soon but ive heard life begins at 40 so world here i come. i love relaxing and watching movies but i also like to walk around and explore. as long as there is a little to do so my children can make friends( and me too) i think we will be fine.
ive lived in rural areas and small towns so i dont think i could survive in a big city, from looking at other blogs everyone seems so friendly and forth coming when giving out advice to the needy . if every thing goes well in the year we have over in orono or surrounding areas i would love to have time to be involved in some voluntary activities in the community. so if anyone would love some help or company ( friends only!!!!) lol then let me know xx ideally i would love to rent a place of our own for the year as long is it is not too expensive as we are so used to our privacy but who knows it is worth considering as ive never done this before. if there are any students out there who can tell me what its like in orono feedback will be appreciated especially students who have kids too!!!! and dont forget if you would like a part time nanny or babysitter...

ex airforce man i hope you enjoy your visit.... and yes europe is getting more expensive especially in england in the south. the prices of the houses are overwhelming yet here in yorkshire they are affordable but only just.... the houses in maine look so amazing compared to my bungalow here a mere shoebox the houses there are huge!!! as long as i have 2 or 3 bedrooms a kitchen, bathroom( yes only 1 )a nd 1 living room then that will suit me fine. even if its tiny im sure in comparison to mine it will be bigger xxx what are the winters like in orono as ive been told to get all togged up and i know it may seem silly to ask but if it is snowy quite alot what do you all wear on your feet to work or university to keep you warm and dry? mostly boots?? wellingtons ????( dont say shoes ) lol..

all being well i will be there in september and spending my first christmas in another country with some lovely people and lots of snow.... xxxxx

Old 01-12-2008, 07:58 PM

37,497 posts, read 61,508,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheska View Post
hi l xx i have a 16yr old daughter and my son is 12 we are looking for somewhere quiet and pretty but within walking/biking or bus services to schools and university. ...
The Orono campus and Old Town are inter-connected via a system of bike trails.

My son attends highschool in Old Town. Many of his classmates bicycle themselves between their highschool and the Orono Uni campus to work jobs in the cafeterias, etc.

In Orono everything can be reached by way of bicycle or caneo.

I sell farm produce at the Orono Farmer's Market, we have regular customers who come to market via bike paths or the river.

Today I attended a meeting in the Orono Community Center [please forgive me as I do not recall the offical name of the center]. Downstairs on one wall is a large wallchart showing the 'Marsh Island bicycle network'.

Old Town and Orono share a single land mass.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:20 AM

sounds good.. it will be very different for us as we are so used to going everywhere in our cars i suppose this is why id like to come over to maine to experience new things and accept how diferent people live. my children thought it would be unusual to use the river for transport so i better get some rowing lessons in there xx lol..

thankyou for our information i will certainly visit the community place and look at the map and try and seek out beneficial information from the locals

kind regards cheska xx

Old 01-14-2008, 04:57 PM

411 posts, read 900,486 times
Cheska, just a thought, but try calling the University and asking them if they have any leads on apartments that would fit your unique situation. Be sure to tell them you are coming from the UK, and that you have never seen the area. Not sure of whom to call there, but maybe something like Student Services? Hope this helps....

Old 01-14-2008, 05:57 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,907,456 times
I think that department is called Commuter Services.
University of Maine Student Affairs

Here is a tool that you can use for rentals in the UMaine area- I've never used it, but it may be useful.
UMaineRents

You can use GoogleEarth to get a look at the area, too.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:10 PM

7 posts, read 15,948 times
Sometimes professors go on sabbaticals and rent their houses. I'm not sure where you'd find listings though. Here's some information from the UMaine grad students UMaine GSG :: The Insider's Guide (http://www2.umaine.edu/gsg/guide/index.php?show=s6 - broken link)

The Orono school district is considered better than the Old Town school district. Orono is part of the local bus system, the BAT.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:44 PM

some useful information there thankyou xx

i will start looking soon. i thought id get my exams over and done with first and then i need to rent my own house here in england to someone. and ill hjave to lend them my car. oh i will miss my car but i suppose its about time i did some excercise im sooooooooooooo....lazy. my daughter plans on bringing her duvet and throws and her pictures and oh and everything . she even wants me to bring our three cats but somehow i dont think the customs officers would be pleased if they were found in her bags poor things. hopefully we can get someone to take care of them as i dont want to have to part with them..... my son is interested in taking peoples dogs for walks.....do you do that sort of thing there ???? they usually get some pocket money xx id rather spend my time looking around the farmers markets as everyone seems to say how nice they are... im going to check out the other threads in the maine forum and get some info on your local activities anyway once again thankyou for the information xxx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area