Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2021, 12:31 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times

Advertisements

Seems car rental prices at Bangor Int'l Airport in the last couple years have been through the roof. Any hints or ideas on rental an automobile for a reasonable price? I have the need for one for a couple weeks at a time, a few times a year for the time being. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2021, 11:31 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
We have rented vehicles from the Toyota dealership in Brewer before [DownEast Toyota]. We were pleased by the prices and the process. I would imagine that they would be willing to pick you up at the airport if you asked.

Old 04-11-2021, 06:18 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,891,731 times
I saw a recent news program about the increase in car rental rates stating that many rental agencies sold much of their inventory in 2020 because of the pandemic. Car rentals at airports are typically higher than locations away from the airport property due to fees charged by the airport. Some would call it a convenience fee. If you are a member of AAA, try renting a car through their website for a potential discount. Going through the AAA website has worked for me in the past. Enterprise used to pick people up. Maybe they still offer that service. Enterprise hasn't been open for late night rentals just an fyi. Update: I just looked online and see that Enterprise has both an airport location and a Hammond Street location with the same Hammond Street address. Places that are tourist areas often see higher rates during the tourist season. There is a high demand for rental cars at the Bangor International Airport. It pays to shop around, make some phone calls, look at car dealership websites online to see which ones offer vehicle rentals. You could take a taxi to an away from the airport vehicle rental location or if you want to go 21st Century, get an Uber.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 04-11-2021 at 07:47 AM..

Old 04-11-2021, 07:22 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,628,678 times
Granted I haven't been to Bangor in 2 years but we did go at least yearly for the previous 5 years and always used Enterprise at the airport. My reservations were made at least 2 months in advance (usually 4 months) and the further out I made reservations the better the prices. Reservations made in the early spring were the best. All our rentals were were for 2 weeks and we always crossed over into Canada, which was never an issue. We've rented mid-size passenger vehicles to mid-size SUV's. If our flight arrived in late the desk guy stayed while early drop-offs were just a key drop.

My experiences were great at the airport every time and prices were reasonable. Reserving on-line helps see those prices. I will say that Bangor was always higher than the national advertised prices and summertime prices were quite a bit higher.

I haven't looked at pricing lately as Canada is shut down to most US visitors for the most part so no need to shop.

Old 04-11-2021, 06:24 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,471,522 times
Yes, rental car prices are up all over. I also have to wonder if one factor is Hertz going through bankruptcy taking away some the competitiveness in the market. AAA may help and Costco Travel has been giving me some of the best prices recently.

Prices can go up or down with time.... seems to depend on the expected demand for a range of dates at any given time. (Touristy locales out West seems to go down once you get close to the rental date.)

Old 04-13-2021, 10:24 AM

Thanks for the good ideas. I've made some phone calls already.

Old 04-19-2021, 10:42 AM

FWIW... I have been planning a trip to Denver or Salt Lake City for a few weeks... and saw last night that Budget's rates for a week long car rental out of Denver International in the 1st full week of May away just dropped significantly in the last day or so. I've done this before... waited until the last 2 weeks before a trip and found some significant drops in rates... like 50% or more.

(This has been for trips to the northern Rockies outside of the main tourist season so IDK how much that applies all over the US and to what parts of the year. AFAIK, the rates might go up the later you wait for a place like Portland in summer demand times.)

Old 04-20-2021, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
FWIW... I have been planning a trip to Denver or Salt Lake City for a few weeks... and saw last night that Budget's rates for a week long car rental out of Denver International in the 1st full week of May away just dropped significantly in the last day or so. I've done this before... waited until the last 2 weeks before a trip and found some significant drops in rates... like 50% or more.

(This has been for trips to the northern Rockies outside of the main tourist season so IDK how much that applies all over the US and to what parts of the year. AFAIK, the rates might go up the later you wait for a place like Portland in summer demand times.)
Thank you I'll check this out. I appreciate it.

Old 04-20-2021, 01:50 PM

441 posts, read 438,867 times
When we have rented a car we used Budget and they were reasonable and had good customer service. It was always away from the airport.

Old 04-20-2021, 01:51 PM

The crazy part was that if I extended the rental to 8 days instead of 7, then Budget's rates jumped way back high LOL, and Enterprise was much cheaper (via Costco) for the 8 days. I imagine there are some sort of automated programs that the car companies use, that adjusts their prices based on how many projected rentals they have so many weeks ahead.

I typically do not make a commitment until with 1-2 weeks before travel, and rarely if ever pre-pay, and will keep checking off and on for better deals. I've walked in to an airport rental car area before and instead of "Pssst.... hey buddy, wanna buy a watch?", it has been "Pssst, hey buddy... wanna rent a car....we have lower rates dan does udder guise." LOL. That has been for business travel, and might not be the case in a busy tourist season and area, so take that approach only with some presspective on what is going on at that airport at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
View detailed profiles of: