Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2022, 09:11 AM

656 posts, read 794,951 times

Advertisements

Congrats to David Ortiz for joining Juan Marichal, Pedro Martinez and Vladimir Guerrero, as the 4th Dominican inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame. It's a great honor for Papi, and a great source of pride for our country. Next up, Adrian Beltre and Albert Pujols...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2022, 12:04 PM

6,382 posts, read 2,955,281 times
David Ortiz got caught taking PEDs. No way he should be in the hall. Especially after he said drug cheats should be banned. I remember last year they asked him about his positive test in an interview and he said it must have been something he took from GNC. Here he blames the Yankees.
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/b...-get-voted-in/

If he is in then what is the rationale for keeping Bonds and Clemens out?

Last edited by mascoma; 01-26-2022 at 12:12 PM..

Old 01-27-2022, 07:08 AM

6,408 posts, read 9,034,253 times
HOF voters are a joke.

Old 01-27-2022, 10:03 PM

2,298 posts, read 3,974,432 times
I'm sure there are players currently in the Hall of Fame who were never caught using steroids.

Old 01-28-2022, 09:08 AM

656 posts, read 794,951 times
Barry Bonds was my favorite player. I think he, and ALL others should be in the HOF. I hate how all the heat is put on the players for taking PEDs. Bud Selig knew what was happening, but Baseball was rebounding from the 1994 strike and money was rolling in. The Owners knew what was happening, but again, money was rolling in, so everybody turned a blind eye and didn't give a damn about those MLB records that were about to be broken, especially the HR record. New stadiums were built, new TV contracts were signed, more lucrative than ever, and today's players get to sign these massive deals. Whether baseball purists want to admit it or not, most of this was accomplished because players like Bonds, Sosa, McGwire, Manny, Ortiz, ARod, etc. put asses in the seats. Now, Selig and the Owners pretend they knew nothing, and it all falls on the players... Hippocrates. Now the writers black-ball the players out of the HOF, while Bud Selig was elected by the Committee.

Old 01-29-2022, 05:00 AM

979 posts, read 424,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeros318 View Post
Barry Bonds was my favorite player. I think he, and ALL others should be in the HOF. I hate how all the heat is put on the players for taking PEDs. Bud Selig knew what was happening, but Baseball was rebounding from the 1994 strike and money was rolling in. The Owners knew what was happening, but again, money was rolling in, so everybody turned a blind eye and didn't give a damn about those MLB records that were about to be broken, especially the HR record. New stadiums were built, new TV contracts were signed, more lucrative than ever, and today's players get to sign these massive deals. Whether baseball purists want to admit it or not, most of this was accomplished because players like Bonds, Sosa, McGwire, Manny, Ortiz, ARod, etc. put asses in the seats. Now, Selig and the Owners pretend they knew nothing, and it all falls on the players... Hippocrates. Now the writers black-ball the players out of the HOF, while Bud Selig was elected by the Committee.
The writers/voters weren't making any money off the roidheads - they were still getting paid whatever it is writers get paid.

Old 01-29-2022, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
David Ortiz got caught taking PEDs. No way he should be in the hall. Especially after he said drug cheats should be banned. I remember last year they asked him about his positive test in an interview and he said it must have been something he took from GNC. Here he blames the Yankees.
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/b...-get-voted-in/

If he is in then what is the rationale for keeping Bonds and Clemens out?
All you have to do is look at his career trajectory. I mean, he actually got caught once. Doesn't mean he wasn't using them for years.

Old 01-29-2022, 02:24 PM

17,722 posts, read 15,485,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrychen View Post
All you have to do is look at his career trajectory. I mean, he actually got caught once. Doesn't mean he wasn't using them for years.

The 'caught' has question marks on it as well. Details aren't known about it.. The fact that he was only (supposedly) positive during the 2003 testing, which even baseball has said the standards were not where they should be for that and had no other suspicions.. He might get the benefit of the doubt.

Old 01-30-2022, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
The 'caught' has question marks on it as well. Details aren't known about it.. The fact that he was only (supposedly) positive during the 2003 testing, which even baseball has said the standards were not where they should be for that and had no other suspicions.. He might get the benefit of the doubt.
I'll trust the eye test and history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball