Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2022, 12:04 PM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times

Advertisements

Found this via an article in the NY Times; these guys are a hoot, the Harlem Globetrotters of baseball. No, they aren't the future of baseball, but they are a great night out and a lot of laughs.

Excerpt of NY Times article: "The Savannah Bananas, a collegiate summer-league baseball team in Georgia, have sold out every home game since 2016. They also have more TikTok followers than the Yankees and Mets combined. The dancing umpires might have something to do with that. Bananas games are a bit like a circus, Margaret Fuhrer writes in The Times. Players will sometimes wear stilts. The first-base coach is a charismatic hip-hop dancer who has never played baseball. A cast of 120 entertainers — including a pep band and a “dad bod cheerleading squad” — adds to the spectacle.

Here's a YouTube video of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k66-lwKDPcs
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2022, 04:29 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Yeah, i've been reading up on this team.. The entire league seems to be taking their tact.

We, supposedly, had a team that didn't run this year, the Spartanburgers..

But, they've had a pitcher on stilts.. Guy announced himself coming up to bat.. Saw one where the batter handed the cigar to the ump to hold for him during his AB.

The Globetrotters seem to be a very apt comparison, and one that I made when I mentioned it to someone.. It's a fine balance between serious baseball and a show.

The owner of the team seems to fit.. He's very PT Barnum-ish.

What I don't quite understand here is.. So, they get these players from colleges all over the country.. And they just play ball for the summer, but maintain their eligibility?

Old 06-20-2022, 02:22 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,204,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

What I don't quite understand here is.. So, they get these players from colleges all over the country.. And they just play ball for the summer, but maintain their eligibility?
Yes, this is a legit college ball league, the Southeast's version of the Cape Cod League. We have a Coastal Plain League team here in my hometown of Holly Springs. The stadium is about 5 years old, they have concessions and it's a great night out, 5 minutes from home.

The players are not compensated and stay with host families for the summer. It does not impact their eligibility.

Old 02-16-2023, 05:05 PM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Their Spring Training season doesn't include coming to AZ for the Cactus League; meanwhile their games are all sold out for Spring Training in the Grapefruit League.

But they will make two appearances in the Phoenix area, one in Peoria on 01 April and one in Scottsdale on 31 March.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-11-2024, 09:32 AM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Roger Clemens and Roy Oswalt pitched for them over the weekend. I just happened to see their game pop up on Youtube and started watching it right when they brought in Clemens.

I would suspect this will be a common occurrence in the other 5 games they'll be playing in MLB parks this year.

Anyone want to come up with a wish list or guesses as to who they might bring in? I'd say it's not limited to pitchers.

The 5 remaining games at MLB parks are

Boston, Washington, Cleveland, Philly and Miami

Boston.. I'd have to put some money on Manny. I think Ortiz might be too recently retired, but.. Maybe Schilling, though I don't know the reaction he'd get.

Washington.. Jayson Wurth, perhaps. Sure won't be Strasburg. I can't really think of a Montreal or Washington player here. Adam Dunn isn't really associated with the Nats.

Cleveland.. Cliff Lee, perhaps? I think the Phillies will have far more people to draw from. Jim Thome.

Philly.. Ryan Howard, Chase Utley is doubtful being in England.. Rollins.. Lidge, Burrell, Hamels.. Be fun to see Moyer pitch a third... Basically over half the '08 WS team.. Be fun to put a 74 year old Schmidt out there for an AB.

Miami.. This is another one, there's a large group of players to choose from that played for Miami, but.. Which would be mainly associated with them?

Old 03-24-2024, 06:56 PM

103 posts, read 38,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Roger Clemens and Roy Oswalt pitched for them over the weekend. I just happened to see their game pop up on Youtube and started watching it right when they brought in Clemens.

I would suspect this will be a common occurrence in the other 5 games they'll be playing in MLB parks this year.

Anyone want to come up with a wish list or guesses as to who they might bring in? I'd say it's not limited to pitchers.

The 5 remaining games at MLB parks are

Boston, Washington, Cleveland, Philly and Miami

Boston.. I'd have to put some money on Manny. I think Ortiz might be too recently retired, but.. Maybe Schilling, though I don't know the reaction he'd get.

Washington.. Jayson Wurth, perhaps. Sure won't be Strasburg. I can't really think of a Montreal or Washington player here. Adam Dunn isn't really associated with the Nats.

Cleveland.. Cliff Lee, perhaps? I think the Phillies will have far more people to draw from. Jim Thome.

Philly.. Ryan Howard, Chase Utley is doubtful being in England.. Rollins.. Lidge, Burrell, Hamels.. Be fun to see Moyer pitch a third... Basically over half the '08 WS team.. Be fun to put a 74 year old Schmidt out there for an AB.

Miami.. This is another one, there's a large group of players to choose from that played for Miami, but.. Which would be mainly associated with them?
Charlie Hough for Miami - started their first game in franchise history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball