Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 04:24 PM

2,567 posts, read 2,229,448 times

Advertisements

I don't know. Maybe "franchise operator" sounds less controversial?

https://sports.yahoo.com/adam-silver...034447369.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 04:40 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,533,681 times
Owner is fine with me.

I'd tell them to "suck it up, .... buttercup"

Old 06-28-2019, 06:04 PM

19,972 posts, read 30,299,413 times
so the N word can be all over rap music hip hop.....

but now cant say the word owner...

pc stupidity

Old 06-29-2019, 05:59 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,563,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
I don't know. Maybe "franchise operator" sounds less controversial?

https://sports.yahoo.com/adam-silver...034447369.html
I suppose there is someone that will something wrong or offensive. I could say that governor is racist because it expresses that someone has power over other people. Why not ban that term too?
You do not want to use the word power either because that means someone is seen at a lower social status.
I can go on and on but someone will get offended because of something out there.

I have a two master's degree and working on my third one. When I say that, will someone object that I say that because it makes someone feel less?

Sigh!
You have a great day.
elamigo

P.S. Maybe I should not say "have a great day" because I may hurt someone's feeling because he or she is having a bad day.
Oh! Sorry is I used the terms he or she. Maybe I will say an individual. No, not that one either because someone got offended because I did not include everybody else. Here I go again, I used everybody else and that means that somebody that feels he or she (here I go again) is not special. Bye. Oh, sorry, I did not give a farewell greeting in every language and someone felt slighted.

Old 06-30-2019, 10:16 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,090,706 times
So a private organization changes some of the language around it's organizational strucure and I'm supposed to be upset? Why?

Old 07-05-2019, 05:00 PM

5,121 posts, read 2,174,916 times
Hey guys! I "own" a pair of socks. Am I racist?

Old 07-05-2019, 05:12 PM

5,121 posts, read 2,174,916 times
That's really too bad! I like the band called Yes. Gonna be sad when the SJW's ban the song "Owner of a Lonely Heart."

Old 07-05-2019, 06:43 PM

13,289 posts, read 8,497,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
Hey guys! I "own" a pair of socks. Am I racist?
Your pants had a secret meeting and voted unanimously yes .

Old 07-05-2019, 10:33 PM

2,076 posts, read 1,653,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
I suppose there is someone that will something wrong or offensive. I could say that governor is racist because it expresses that someone has power over other people. Why not ban that term too?
You do not want to use the word power either because that means someone is seen at a lower social status.
I can go on and on but someone will get offended because of something out there.

I have a two master's degree and working on my third one. When I say that, will someone object that I say that because it makes someone feel less?

Sigh!
You have a great day.
elamigo

P.S. Maybe I should not say "have a great day" because I may hurt someone's feeling because he or she is having a bad day.
Oh! Sorry is I used the terms he or she. Maybe I will say an individual. No, not that one either because someone got offended because I did not include everybody else. Here I go again, I used everybody else and that means that somebody that feels he or she (here I go again) is not special. Bye. Oh, sorry, I did not give a farewell greeting in every language and someone felt slighted.
I agree this is getting ridiculous. A friend from Chicago told me the "White Sox" might be changed because it was "deemed" offensive by some. That is absurd. And I am a brown Native American.

I thought owner was just a reference to the business entity which involves the team. It was not meant to be "slave owner" because slaves were not paid. They were tortured and denied rights. By contrast, the modern professional athletes often make in the millions.

Plus nowadays there is reverse racism in sports - the concept of the "slow white guy" is deeply embedded in sports culture. This is in parallel to a preference for white women by many of these black athletes - colorism and rejection of dark skinned black women. Go figure. It's kind of hypocritical.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:32 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,568,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
I agree this is getting ridiculous. A friend from Chicago told me the "White Sox" might be changed because it was "deemed" offensive by some. That is absurd. And I am a brown Native American.

I thought owner was just a reference to the business entity which involves the team. It was not meant to be "slave owner" because slaves were not paid. They were tortured and denied rights. By contrast, the modern professional athletes often make in the millions.

Plus nowadays there is reverse racism in sports - the concept of the "slow white guy" is deeply embedded in sports culture. This is in parallel to a preference for white women by many of these black athletes - colorism and rejection of dark skinned black women. Go figure. It's kind of hypocritical.
This is an old topic that came about last year and LeBron James was just talking trash. Owner isn't racist to anyone if anybody can fulfill the role and it isn't speaking of the individuals on the team but the franchise itself. You can tell that someone had a battery put in their back to correlate this with chattel slavery because the Owner of a sports franchise has way more people under him than the athletes.... The athletes are just the face of the franchise (coaching staff, medical staff, massive stadium staff, marketing, broadcasts/media, etc).

Regarding the part in bold, the idea that many "black" male athletes go for "white" women is about as factual as meat consumption being the major cause of the greenhouse gas increase...For every black male athlete /white wife you'll see probably ten black/black couples. (there was a story on this years ago that brought this out).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball