Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2023, 02:16 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IPXSqOhykg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2023, 02:26 PM

TL;DR

Rule changes and/or lack of rule enforcement have made scoring easier and have resulted in a lower turnover rate.

Specifically, carrying and traveling violations resulted in several turnovers and stoppages per game throughout the 60s and 70s before being liberalized somewhat in the 80s and 90s. By the 2000s, refs largely turned a blind eye to these violations. Cousy had to dribble with his hand placed completely on top of the ball at all times. Curry is frequently allowed to put his entire hand underneath it.

"In the act of shooting" has been more broadly defined today where current players get rewarded with FTs whereas they were not in eras past.

Contact in the current game is almost always called on the defensive player, even if the offensive player initiates the contact. Wilt was called for offensive fouls by merely leaning into defenders. By the 80s, Isiah was allowed to lean into defenders, but was also called for offensive fouls when dipping his shoulder into defenders. By the 2010s, Lebron and Giannis are allowed to lower their shoulders and blast through defenders.

In today's game, offensive players are allowed to use their off arm to block, push and hook defenders. Enforcement was far more rigid in the 60s through 90s.

Old 03-12-2023, 02:36 PM

Reflecting on the change in officiating since the 1980s, I think David Robinson would have been the greatest beneficiary of modern day rules/officiating. He was an athletic freak who was bigger and stronger than Giannis and arguably faster. Allowing him to carry the ball and shield it from smaller defenders like Mugsy Bogues and to use his 7'1, muscular frame to blast into defenders with a full head of steam would have made him absolutely unstoppable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s2hIf-b6ho

Old 03-12-2023, 05:39 PM

3,835 posts, read 4,440,418 times
It's always difficult to play the what if game when comparing eras.
That being said, that's the fun isnt it. I think the rule changes were a reaction to the borefest that NBA basketball became in that 2003-2010 era that was dominated by the Spurs and Pistons. Scorecards reading 70-67 were commonplace especially in the Finals which ended up in terrible ratings for the league. One could debate whether it was due to today's players being bigger, more athletic or just a fluke.

I would say though, if you took that 2004 championship squad from Detroit and put them in the Finals against any of Bill Russell's 11 championship teams using their rules, I say Detroit wins 9 times out of 10. Easy. How many small forwards from the 60s could deal with Tayshaun Prince, a 6-9 guy with a 7 foot wingspan? If Kobe, Reggie Miller and others had problems then you know all those 60s guys would have struggled too. And he wasnt even the most celebrated player on the team.

I really think a big bunch of those old timers would struggle if you brought them into today's game, even with the easier rules. Some guys would have been ok like Wilt for example (no 100 point game though), but most of those other guys? bench warmers. I'm just not seeing any way shape or form that Bill Russell is dealing with 2000-2003 Shaq for example. What was he 6-9, 220lbs??? BBQ chicken. Same for him dealing with Hakeem, Robinson, Ewing, all the greats. Now maybe today he would have learnt to shoot the 3...maybe.

Old 03-12-2023, 06:07 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,629,074 times
Over the past few decades you've got an increasingly large number of athletes all over the world trying out for NCAA D-I or a local equivalent of high-level play (for the very few, it's high school), so the mouth of the funnel into the NBA has gotten much larger than it used to be. The players who make it to the league are chosen from a much bigger pool than they used to be. Kids start balling as soon as they can stand on two feet. Although it might be true that the NBA has done some things to make scoring easier, I would guess that on average the players are more likely statistically to be proficient scorers, if you put them in the same game as players from 1980.

Old 03-13-2023, 03:06 PM

8,331 posts, read 2,961,324 times
Don’t watch much if any anymore because of it's (the NBA’s) politics and basically the game has become a joke with the ridiculous scoring averages, lack of defense, and guys passing up on a layup for a 3 pointer.

The midrange game and big man have nearly become extinct because of rule changes. Why not put a 4 pt line 35 feet out so we can see more bricks? Seems a team’s first choice is a 3.

Rule changes have ruined the game. Fundamentals are lacking in players as has intelligent play. Does any team play defense anymore? Based on team scoring averages it doesn’t look like it. I see more uncontested layups then ever.

Funny watching Giannis shoot 3 pointers. Opposing teams should let him shoot 3’s all day based on his 28% shooting average.

Anyone bother to watch the entire all-star game? I stopped after a couple minutes. It was that lame.

Old 03-13-2023, 05:21 PM

1,096 posts, read 444,470 times
Watching games with low scoring, excellent defense, hand checking, is boring. People want to see made baskets. The nba will not go back since theyre making all this money. Its just the way it is. I used to watch mlb but not anymore, scoring is too little and its boring. If soccor had a bigger goal and theres much more scoring, i might start watching.

Old 03-13-2023, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico7 View Post
Over the past few decades you've got an increasingly large number of athletes all over the world trying out for NCAA D-I or a local equivalent of high-level play (for the very few, it's high school), so the mouth of the funnel into the NBA has gotten much larger than it used to be. The players who make it to the league are chosen from a much bigger pool than they used to be. Kids start balling as soon as they can stand on two feet. Although it might be true that the NBA has done some things to make scoring easier, I would guess that on average the players are more likely statistically to be proficient scorers, if you put them in the same game as players from 1980.
If you put today's players in games from the 80s, many of the standout players would likely be very different. There would be no Giannis as we know it because his entire game is based on carrying, traveling and barreling through defenders. A lot of the smaller guys would be hamstringed by strict enforcement of carrying rules. Imagine forcing Jordan Poole to dribble like Earl Monroe. A lot of what we consider "advanced" is just NBA refs allowing moves from And1 videos.

Old 03-14-2023, 09:29 AM

1,096 posts, read 444,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
If you put today's players in games from the 80s, many of the standout players would likely be very different. There would be no Giannis as we know it because his entire game is based on carrying, traveling and barreling through defenders. A lot of the smaller guys would be hamstringed by strict enforcement of carrying rules. Imagine forcing Jordan Poole to dribble like Earl Monroe. A lot of what we consider "advanced" is just NBA refs allowing moves from And1 videos.
If you add an extra ref and all refs must enforce all violations accurately, the nba product will drop and people stop watching. Refs do let offensive fouls go if theres a huge dunk, let travels and carries go if theres a dunk. Many times during a eurostep there should be a carry or travel, or a double dribble call.

Nobody wants to see missed shots due to elite defense, unless its huge blocks. Offense is what sells.

Old 03-16-2023, 03:51 PM

7,008 posts, read 11,304,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Reflecting on the change in officiating since the 1980s, I think David Robinson would have been the greatest beneficiary of modern day rules/officiating. He was an athletic freak who was bigger and stronger than Giannis and arguably faster. Allowing him to carry the ball and shield it from smaller defenders like Mugsy Bogues and to use his 7'1, muscular frame to blast into defenders with a full head of steam would have made him absolutely unstoppable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s2hIf-b6ho

I'm guessing you saw my post. If not, let's just say I like the comp

But yes, the Admiral would be even more awesome today because of his face-up/above the rim game. Teach that man a Euro-step and watch him dominate play modern ball.

The hook is almost never called these days. I remember when Jordan could do it quick enough not to get caught.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball