Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2023, 11:10 AM

330 posts, read 266,912 times

Advertisements

I don't watch basketball much, but I have noticed that in college basketball, the coaches are almost always out of their chair yelling at the players giving them instructions from the floor while the game is being played, but when I watch the NBA, the coaches are mostly in their chairs and silent for the most part even when the game is close and coming to an end.

Why is this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2023, 11:44 AM

4,863 posts, read 6,929,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue777 View Post
I don't watch basketball much, but I have noticed that in college basketball, the coaches are almost always out of their chair yelling at the players giving them instructions from the floor while the game is being played, but when I watch the NBA, the coaches are mostly in their chairs and silent for the most part even when the game is close and coming to an end.

Why is this?
I think NBA coaches kind of give suggestions a lot of the time. The players make more than the coach and nearly all have egos the size of Alaska. These coaches walk a fine line in getting across what they want.

College coaches simply have a LOT more clout and are respected by their players a great deal more.

Old 04-02-2023, 11:50 AM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue777 View Post

Why is this?
Several reasons I would guess. College players are students, NBA players are professionals. College players get less practice time and are less experienced than pro players. They need a lot more instructions while the game is going on. Another reason is NBA coaches are much more low key now. They simply don't talk to the players that way anymore.

Old 04-02-2023, 01:15 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,630,556 times
College coaches who are preparing or are in the NCAA tournament know that every game is an elimination situation, so the individual games in college hoops can be a lot more important. You may only have that situation in the NBA once per playoff series.

Old 04-02-2023, 02:32 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,534,131 times
NBA players have egos, but they still want competent instruction, positive leadership, and mutual respect. College coaches are definitely in control of things and that intensity is seen in the games.

Old 04-02-2023, 07:29 PM

7,020 posts, read 11,314,367 times
An NBA coach makes his bread by convincing millionaires to play defense for 48 minutes a night and figuring out rotations and match-ups. The second is most important come play-off time when teams will exploit match-ups over and over and over if you don't sub the weak player out (looking at you, Doc Rivers......)

College coaches are teachers, recruiters, the face of the franchise, salaried, and much older than the college kids, who rotate through the program every 4 years at most. It is a different power dynamic.

Last edited by westsideboy; 04-02-2023 at 08:50 PM..

Old 04-02-2023, 08:46 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
I would think the extra time on the shot clock and slower players allows time for the point/team to listen to the coach and try to do what they are told

Old 04-02-2023, 11:13 PM

4,863 posts, read 6,929,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
An NBA coach makes his bread by convincing millionaires to play defense for 48 minutes a night and figuring out rotations and match-ups. The second is most important come play-off time when teams will exploit match-ups over and over and over if you don't sub the weak player out (looking at you, Doc Rivers......)

College coaches are teachers, recruiters, the face of the franchise, salaried, and much older than the college kids, who rotate through the program every 4 years at most. It is a different power dynamic.
They play defense?

Old 04-03-2023, 07:52 AM

3,971 posts, read 2,354,665 times
NBA coaches would guarantee a short career by yelling at their players like they're in college. These players make too much money to be yelled at like that. Some players that are at the end of the bench have to listen more than the starters since they aren't making as much money. I think end of bench players (13th to 15th man), on average, make 500k. Depending on time in the league.

Old 04-03-2023, 08:04 AM

4,667 posts, read 3,864,415 times
What nba coaches sit? Most stand from what I’ve seen. Few exceptions are I know Popovich sits at times during the first quarter. Kerr also but that’s all I can think of. Doc Rivers sat at times during the first quarter last night. Those 3 have plenty of rings between them though so they must be doing something right. Ive never seen Bucks coach Bud sit, even with a bad ankle that he hobbles around on all game. I wish he was less intense.

I think NBA coaches observe more during the start of games and let the game develop then make changes. NBA coaches are dealing with pros, not 19 year olds who need more hand holding.

Last edited by everwinter; 04-03-2023 at 08:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball