Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2023, 05:32 PM

1,139 posts, read 473,189 times

Advertisements

He was broke and didnt want to find a job. Former first round pick, made 6.9 million for his career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2023, 05:28 AM

4,075 posts, read 2,419,389 times
https://nypost.com/2023/08/03/ex-net...d-to-10-years/

From 2017 through 2021, Williams and the co-defendants — who also include doctors and a dentist — allegedly submitted bogus invoices, replete with typos and inconsistencies, to the health care plan for reimbursement of medical and dental expenses for care that never occurred, prosecutors said.

In exchange for coordinating the scam, Williams received $346,000 in kickbacks, the feds said. Williams impersonated employees from the insurance company to email co-defendants and scare them into keeping up the scheme and sending him more kickbacks, the feds alleged. For instance, Williams told one co-defendant to pay him a “fine” or risk being reported for the fraudulent invoices, prosecutors claimed.

And after Williams was arrested and allowed to remain free without bail in October 2021, he sent threatening text messages to a witness telling them they were “talking way to[o] f–king much” and demanding that they “shut the f–k up,” the feds alleged. Following the threat, Caproni jailed Williams without bail.

Manhattan US Attorney Damiam Williams called the ex-pro basketball player’s actions “brazen.”

Old 08-04-2023, 05:26 PM

1,139 posts, read 473,189 times
The other players will get jail time. Sucks that he fathered so many children, child support is probably what did him in.

Old 08-07-2023, 07:38 AM

7,486 posts, read 4,739,307 times
Some of the other players are big names also to NBA enthusiasts like Big Glen Davis, Chris Douglas-Roberts, Antoine Wright, Tony Allen (and wife), Sebastian Telfair, Ruben Patterson....and I'm just typing this out of memory.

Why would Tony Allen even get himself mixed up with this, I don't know. He's had a long great career in the NBA.

Old 08-07-2023, 08:34 AM

^^^Agreed! Most players were journeyman but they did hang around longer than 5 years. Telfair and Patterson were in the league about 10 years. In any event, they were strapped for cash. Hence, them getting involved with this caper.

Old 08-07-2023, 08:47 AM

4,038 posts, read 1,902,872 times
Kinda goes to show - throwing more money to people doesn't make them ideal citizens.

Old 08-07-2023, 12:01 PM

30,287 posts, read 11,932,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
Some of the other players are big names also to NBA enthusiasts like Big Glen Davis, Chris Douglas-Roberts, Antoine Wright, Tony Allen (and wife), Sebastian Telfair, Ruben Patterson....and I'm just typing this out of memory.

Why would Tony Allen even get himself mixed up with this, I don't know. He's had a long great career in the NBA.
Looking it up Tony Allen made $40m in the NBA. Patterson $36M in their careers. I could see that they did not save much money and their career ends. Pretty soon its hard to make the house payment. They think this will save them. At least the prison BB pick up games will be better quality.

Old 08-07-2023, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Looking it up Tony Allen made $40m in the NBA. Patterson $36M in their careers. I could see that they did not save much money and their career ends. Pretty soon its hard to make the house payment. They think this will save them. At least the prison BB pick up games will be better quality.
Maybe G League makes an expansion team out of them. Maybe the Folsom Fraud.

Old 08-09-2023, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post

It seems Tony Allen got a slap on the wrist. Consider himself lucky.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba...aa451934&ei=19

It felt like things were about to take a turn for the worst for Grizzlies legend Tony Allen, but fortunately, that won't be the case. Allen was officially sentenced to community service and supervision for his part in a $4 million health benefits scam, according to Pete Brush of Law360. He had previously pleaded guilty in April to conspiracy to commit health care fraud and wire fraud, and also paid back most of the $420,000 he illegally took before getting charged. According to Brush, Allen gave a tearful apology. “I fully acknowledge my individual responsibility and I understand the gravity of my actions,” Allen said. "As a member of the NBA community I failed to uphold our core values.” Tony Allen is one of many ex-NBA players that avoided prison in the case. However, Terrence Williams, Keyon Dooling, and Alan Anderson all received shorter sentences. The judge gave an official statement about Allen's role in the case.

“You seem not quite to have found your footing after your basketball career has ended,” the judge said. "You may need to think about having a new goal – something you can work towards every day.”

Old 08-09-2023, 08:01 AM

$420K, why that's my entire retirement fund. I worked for it for 40 years and he gets it in 1 or a few claim files.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball