Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 06:37 AM

18 posts, read 75,725 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am new to this board.

Can anybody share some information about Alexandria, BR, Gonzales and Hammond? Looks like we may have to relocate to one of those cities in the near future for my husband to move into management at his job. We both grew up in Metairie/NO and recently lived there again right before Katrina, but we don't know much about any of these cities.

We are hoping somebody/somebodies can share some information and experiences with the job market and housing market in these cities, as well as information about the availability and quality of childcare and schools.

I don't know if specifics about our situation will help, but if so . . .
I work full-time right now as a data coordinator in a medical research program. We don't make much $$ so I will need to keep working, and would love to stay in my current general field of work. We have an 18-month old daughter, so right now childcare is an issue and schools will be an issue before too long. Our house budget is $150K tops (less would be better, LOL!) Can you find a decent home in a relatively safe area for this $$ and if so, any recommendations about neighborhoods/areas to look at (or to stay away from)?

Thanks in advance! This board is such a great resource!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 08:34 AM

5,039 posts, read 4,361,657 times
Alexandria might be a good choice for you. The economy is fairly robust & the city has ranked near the top among Louisiana cities in terms of job growth. One of the main sectors in which Alexandria is experiencing growth is the medical industry. The two local hospitals are undergoing major expansions currently. The housing market has slowed down in recent months, but is still quite strong.

As far as education goes, Alexandria has some good schools but a greater number of bad ones. The only public elementary schools that I would recommend are Cherokee, Nachman, & Phoenix Magnet (a good school in a bad neighborhood). Many parents choose to put their children in private education (mostly in Catholic schools, which are relatively cheap compared to those in New Orleans).

Alexandria has plenty of nice neighborhoods and also has a number that you would definitely want to avoid. The best relatively cheap/ safe neighborhoods that I can think of in Alexandria are Plantation Acres, Lebanon, & Desselle. Try to stay between Coliseum Blvd. & Masonic Drive and west of MacArthur Drive if you want to be in a good school zone. There are a large number of new housing developments under construction in both west & southwest Alexandria, but most of the houses in these developments are expensive.

If you decide to move to Alexandria, you might also want to consider Pineville, which is right across the Red River, and is safer than Alexandria and has plenty of good public schools.

Last edited by ral31; 07-26-2007 at 08:53 AM..

Old 07-27-2007, 09:25 PM

9 posts, read 39,450 times
Smile Rmaf623

I'm thinking about moving to Gonzales, LA. It is approximately 45minutes from New Orleans (depending on traffic) and 20 minutes from Baton Rouge. My stepson and his wife have lived three for the past four years and really like the area. They have a 2 year old son and love the daycare he is attending. There are a lot of new subdivisons. The price range you are looking for could possible get you a 3bdrm/2bath house approximately 1400 square feet. Although the house may be small, you can probably find a fairly new house (0 to 5years old). So everything will be pretty modern. I'm looking at houses in a new subdivison where construction is still going on. The house I'm looking at is for $162,000. But I know there are a couple for a little less, about $158-160,000. It's hard to find anything much cheaper that is really nice and in a good location. The subdivision is Creek Cove, off of Highway 44.
Good luck.

Last edited by Yac; 07-28-2007 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: realtor advertising not allowed

Old 07-29-2007, 06:32 AM

Thanks for the responses!

I liked the looks of Alexandria, but it's starting to look like the least likely place we will end up. (The company is desparate for help in that store, but they have gone thru 10 managers there in the past 2 years so Rich is a little wary about getting put into an unwinnable "revolving door" kind of situation.)

Gonzales sounds really nice! Caseyperkins, I had seen some of the housing options you are talking about on some real estate websites, but I'm glad to hear from somebody who has some personal experience with them! (Sometimes it's hard to know what to make of real estate ads on the web -- don't know if they are in good areas, if they are as nice as they look, etc.) I am really glad to hear your kids found a good daycare -- that situation has been on my mind alot. Our daycare here is really good, and I have been worried about whether we will find anything similar if we relocate.

Not to be nosy, but have you put a bid on a house yet, or just still looking? Are you going there to be closer to your family, or for other reasons?

Old 07-29-2007, 08:01 AM

Lulu9837, yes I've signed a contract and waiting for SBA approval. I'm moving back to be closer to family and friends. I also have some excellent job prospects. My home in New Orleans had to be demolished and I'm not really ready to move right back in the heart of the City. But I wanted to be close enough to visit whenever possible. Gonzales is the midpoint between to two big Louisiana cities (New Orleans and Baton Rouge). So I will also be close to all necessary shopping/hospitals/schools etc.

I'm hoping to know whether or not I have been approved by next week. If all goes well I will be going back to LA in August.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:11 AM

Default current job

Also, LuLu9837, if you relocate to Gonzales, you may want to think about keeping your present job if that is an option. After Hurricane Katrina many people commute as far as Baton Rouge, and Gonzales is a little closer than that. You may be looking at anywhere from 45minutes to 1hour depending on where you would reside. I use to think "no why would I commute so far" but after Hurricane Katrina, my way of thinking has changed in many areas. I have friends who have relocated to Houston and they said that Houston is so huge that it takes them an hour to get to work right in the city itself. Times have changed for us all after Katrina. Anyway, I just wanted to throw that idea out there just in case your job is worth keeping. You know, for benefits, salary, stability, etc.

Old 07-29-2007, 12:30 PM

Casey,

I *wish* keeping my present job was an option! It's a great job -- not great pay but real flexible, good benefits, etc. Problem is, right now we are in Tyler TX (6 hours away) so there's no way I could commute.

I'm sorry to hear about your house in NO. We got displaced by Katrina too; we were living in Metairie at the time. We evacuated here to Tyler -- then we decided to stay awhile. Our house in Metairie didn't get much damage, so technically we could've gone right back, but I was 6 mos. pregnant, my doctor and all my relatives left town, and Rich's job in New Orleans was gone (the place he worked burned down in the aftermath of the storm).

We are in a similar boat; we miss Louisiana and want to be back close enough to visit family & familiar places (though not right in Metairie or NO because of $$ and because of the schools). We both found good jobs in Tyler & the cost of living is low, so we kind of feel pulled to stay here too. But if Rich's job gives us an opportunity to relocate closer to home (and for him to make more $$ doing so) I don't think we will pass it up, seems too much like a sign! LOL you know what I mean?

Anyway good luck in Gonzales, let me know how your SBA thing works out. Hell, if we wind up in Gonzales too maybe we can hang out together, LOL!

Laurie

Old 07-29-2007, 01:23 PM

Lula, I'm sorry I thought your job was in Metairie, LA. I didn't realize you were in Texas. As far as getting together if you move to Gonzales, that would be really great. You can also email me at Moderator cut: please do not list personal email addresses on a public forum - utilize direct message feature but this email address will only be good for the next few weeks if I move to Gonzales.

Good luck in your decisions........

Last edited by Sam I Am; 02-01-2008 at 03:10 AM..

Old 01-29-2008, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 4,419 times
Smile thenurse

Yes, you can buy a very nice, decent home with this amount. I grew up in Alexandria, lived there 27 yrs worth, educated in public schools there, went to LSU-A there. So, I know a lot about this place! Sending your children to public schools now, however, is not a good idea.
My sis-in-law recently purchased a home approx 6 mos ago for $130K, 1800 sq ft approx, in a very livable nice neighborhood in Pineville, LA (next door to Alexandria).
Word of advice: you may think about not buying in Alexandria simply because population of people are tight.
Hope this helps.

Hi! I am new to this board.

Can anybody share some information about Alexandria, BR, Gonzales and Hammond? Looks like we may have to relocate to one of those cities in the near future for my husband to move into management at his job. We both gy rew up in Metairie/NO and recently lived there again right before Katrina, but we don't know much about any of these cities.

We are hoping somebody/somebodies can share some information and experiences with the job market and housing market in these cities, as well as information about the availability and quality of childcare and schools.

I don't know if specifics about our situation will help, but if so . . .
I work full-time right now as a data coordinator in a medical research program. We don't make much $$ so I will need to keep working, and would love to stay in my current general field of work. We have an 18-month old daughter, so right now childcare is an issue and schools will be an issue before too long. Our house budget is $150K tops (less would be better, LOL!) Can you find a decent home in a relatively safe area for this $$ and if so, any recommendations about neighborhoods/areas to look at (or to stay away from)?

Thanks in advance! This board is such a great resource![/quote]

Old 01-29-2008, 05:49 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,492,241 times
Default Br

I like all the areas you are looking at! We live in baton Rouge and just love it! I like Gonzales and Prarieville as well. I like Baton Rouge because it has more to do than the other areas.It is busier, usually though it is because of people commuting from the other areas! We have a 5 year old daughter and we feel she gets a great education here in the private school she attends. AS far as housing, it is more expensive than I wanted it to be, but we found a home in South BR for 321,000. It is a 4 bedroom-3 bathroom. There are a lot of fun things to do for both kida nd adults here in BR! Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge