Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2014, 10:25 AM

28 posts, read 44,751 times

Advertisements

Starting a second year in the bayou, house and shed is a meeting place for large, half yellow, half black (back end) bees. Wood boring wasps are here too be easier to ZAP. What can be done about the bees? I expected hardware store to have specific products but find nothing. Was thinking about a tungsten wire-strung tennis racket connected to 240V and have a go at it. They hover in one place long enough to really whack 'em. Never been stung but large nasty bugs swarming in the warmer weather nearly has me going postal. Flame throwers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 07:53 AM

415 posts, read 802,106 times
I was told once that those bees cannot sting. Not sure if it is true or not. We would hit them with tennis rackets as kids.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrockills View Post
I was told once that those bees cannot sting. Not sure if it is true or not. We would hit them with tennis rackets as kids.
Thanks, heard exactly that a couple times, including the tennis racket! Problem might be "barn wood" shed near the house. Might paint it. Still would like to find a way to trap or get them gone with perhaps, napalm?

Last edited by AyeAyeCapn; 03-10-2014 at 12:32 PM..

Old 03-10-2014, 12:58 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Default Sounds like carpenter bees

They are not a danger sting wise. You would probably have to catch a female in your hands to get stung. They are useful pollinators, so please don't kill them.

Carpenter Bees – How to Control Carpenter Bees

Old 03-11-2014, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
They are not a danger sting wise. You would probably have to catch a female in your hands to get stung. They are useful pollinators, so please don't kill them.

Carpenter Bees – How to Control Carpenter Bees
Several hundred of them swarming around your carport, your head, and your dog won't go outside are not use pollinators; they're extras in a scene from an Alfred Hitchcock movie.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyeAyeCapn View Post
Several hundred of them swarming around your carport, your head, and your dog won't go outside are not use pollinators; they're extras in a scene from an Alfred Hitchcock movie.

Wow! I've never seen more than about three at once here at my house.

I guess you need to get a big can of putty and start sealing up their nests.

Or you could use my brother's method.

He's sitting on the porch at his house, enjoying a beer with a friend who came by to visit a spell. A carpenter bee appears and hovers near the porch. He says to his friend, "Watch this," picks up a handgun from the table, fires, and the bee drops out of the air. He puts the gun down, sips his beer, and continues the conversation with his somewhat incredulous companion. A short while later, another bee pops up. His buddy looks at the handgun, looks at my brother, and says, "I bet you can't do that again." Brother picks up the gun, fires, and another dead bee results. Then he looks at his friend, takes a sip of beer, and says, "Rat shot."*

True story. By the way, my brother lives in a log cabin in the country with no nearby neighbors to be disturbed by his firearm activities.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat-shot

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 03-11-2014 at 11:17 AM..

Old 03-11-2014, 11:29 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,442,107 times
My uncle used to shoot them with a .22. Sitting duck target. Harmless, but a nuisance.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
My uncle used to shoot them with a .22. Sitting duck target. Harmless, but a nuisance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge