Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2019, 08:42 PM

3,885 posts, read 2,197,561 times

Advertisements

I've been stuck in Baton Rouge traffic many times. Never been to New Orleans. Just wondering is New Orleans rush hour just as bad, better or worse?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 11:56 PM

6,630 posts, read 4,296,659 times
The traffic in BR got worse than NOLA after Katrina.

Old 10-23-2019, 10:52 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,412,467 times
Quote:
It should come as no shock, but Baton Rouge is ranked third-worst among mid-sized cities on the impact traffic congestions has on commuters, according to the latest Urban Mobility Report from Texas A&M Transportation Institute.
The article in theBaton Rouge Business Report from which the above is quoted appeared in their most recent weekly issue.

Of course, for those of us who've lived here all our lives, we know that the bad traffic existed long before Katrina.

Old 08-23-2020, 11:13 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,917,484 times
I think New Orleans has worse traffic overall but Baton Rouge has worse traffic per capita. I read BR has the worst traffic for a city its size, and for the population to traffic ratio its in fact worse than Los Angeles and Chicago. We do need another Mississippi River crossing and Interstate 12 needs to be 6 lanes in its entirety. Bobby Jindal really should be commended for getting the funding to widen it in Livingston Parish, I do think the Amite River bridge should be named after him.

Old 08-24-2020, 03:47 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I think New Orleans has worse traffic overall but Baton Rouge has worse traffic per capita. I read BR has the worst traffic for a city its size, and for the population to traffic ratio its in fact worse than Los Angeles and Chicago. We do need another Mississippi River crossing and Interstate 12 needs to be 6 lanes in its entirety. Bobby Jindal really should be commended for getting the funding to widen it in Livingston Parish, I do think the Amite River bridge should be named after him.
New Orleans rush hour traffic is a joke compared to BR.
What has the widening done for Livingston? Or the widening of I-10? Traffic is the same.

Old 08-25-2020, 11:59 PM

11,785 posts, read 7,999,289 times
Cant speak for NOLA but the I-10 bridge over the Mississippi is a total PITA. Especially during holidays.

Old 09-06-2020, 04:03 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,412,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
New Orleans rush hour traffic is a joke compared to BR.
What has the widening done for Livingston? Or the widening of I-10? Traffic is the same.
And to think I escaped the DC traffic in 1969 only to end up in BR 10 years later. Even then, in late 1979, I could not believe that a city—much smaller then, you'll remember—this size could have such problems. I dreaded going to the Post Office just off College Drive at I-10 where I kept a business PO Box.

Not addressed here is that Baton Rouge also ranks very high in the nation for hit-and-run accidents. We all know why this is, but if you are an onlooker from somewhere else, that's because Louisiana ranks so high in the number of uninsured drivers...unlicensed ones too.

Old 09-09-2020, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
And to think I escaped the DC traffic in 1969 only to end up in BR 10 years later. Even then, in late 1979, I could not believe that a city—much smaller then, you'll remember—this size could have such problems. I dreaded going to the Post Office just off College Drive at I-10 where I kept a business PO Box.

Not addressed here is that Baton Rouge also ranks very high in the nation for hit-and-run accidents. We all know why this is, but if you are an onlooker from somewhere else, that's because Louisiana ranks so high in the number of uninsured drivers...unlicensed ones too.
BR isn't as bad as the DC area but there are definitely certain bad spots. I'm very glad that I-12 was widened through most of Livingston Parish, it needs to be widened in its entirety. And we need a third bridge across the Mississippi River.

I really hate how it can take 15 minutes to get on the Interstate from the Range exit in Denham because of the Pilot truck stop and how they control the traffic lights. But usually going to work in the city in the mornings, there are other routes like Florida Boulevard or Choctaw Drive that avoids the Interstate. In more rural areas of the metro area like Port Vincent or the outlying parts of Denham or Prairieville you do have a lot of two lane roads where you can be stuck behind an idiot driving 10 miles below the speed limit too.

One thing I do notice about Louisiana drivers is that there is nothing consistent. It's not New Jersey where everyone drives fast and aggressively or like West Virginia where everyone drives slow and courteously. You have super speeders here who tailgate you when you are already going above the speed limit, and they would pass you doing 80 or more. And you have people who drive 10 miles below the speed limit. I've also seen drag racers on Florida Boulevard, Airline Highway and all 3 Interstates.

Old 09-09-2020, 05:16 PM

Also one thing that I HATE about Baton Rouge is the train tracks that cross major roads like Airline Highway and US 61 and it can take over 15 minutes for a slow moving train to pass if you're stuck behind it. There really shouldn't be at grade railroad crossings someplace like Airline or US 61 by St. Francisville. There either should be an overpass for the train or road traffic, or they need to schedule the trains to avoid rush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge