Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2012, 08:58 PM

77 posts, read 213,479 times

Advertisements

Hello My family will be making a trip to the BI with 4, 5, and 13 year old girls. I am looking at reserving a vehicle but am wondering if it is worth the extra money to rent a Jeep. We enjoy hiking (we live in Oahu and hike frequently, but it's obviously nothing too strenuous with the kids - Manoa, Manawili, Diamond Head, Makapu'u, Kahana Valley, some of the Likelike...4 miles about as long as we can go with the little ones and nothing more difficult than moderate). We've been told that some of the best hikes are down in the valley but we would need to have 4 wheel drive to go there. Is the hiking in that area worth having a 4x4 and along the lines of what we've found to be doable with our little ones, or is it too advanced to even consider doing with them anyway? I also read that it's better to have a comfortable vehicle because of the long driving distances between sites (we'll be in the Volcanos Nat'l. Park area but intend to explore as much as we can in a week). Thanks for any input you can provide
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 09:09 PM

682 posts, read 2,798,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgilmore View Post
Hello My family will be making a trip to the BI with 4, 5, and 13 year old girls. I am looking at reserving a vehicle but am wondering if it is worth the extra money to rent a Jeep. We enjoy hiking (we live in Oahu and hike frequently, but it's obviously nothing too strenuous with the kids - Manoa, Manawili, Diamond Head, Makapu'u, Kahana Valley, some of the Likelike...4 miles about as long as we can go with the little ones and nothing more difficult than moderate). We've been told that some of the best hikes are down in the valley but we would need to have 4 wheel drive to go there. Is the hiking in that area worth having a 4x4 and along the lines of what we've found to be doable with our little ones, or is it too advanced to even consider doing with them anyway? I also read that it's better to have a comfortable vehicle because of the long driving distances between sites (we'll be in the Volcanos Nat'l. Park area but intend to explore as much as we can in a week). Thanks for any input you can provide

I've used 4WD on BI for the following:

Going up to Mauna Kea summit. (Not recommended for the little ones, so not relevant for you.)

Going out to Green Sand Beach. (The hike down to the beach is tricky... maybe wait until the kids are older?)

Champagne Pond. (This was great, and is definitely kid-friendly. But is it worth getting a 4WD just for this? Probably not.)

I haven't gone down to Waipio Valley even when I had the 4WD... it's a really treacherous drive and scares me. I hiked down, but was sorry about that when I had to hike back up!

I would say no to the 4WD. Remember, you'll pay lots extra in gas, too, since you're driving long distances and they don't get good mileage. There are lots of great & easy hikes around Volcano and Hilo, and lots of fun places to go that don't require the 4WD (including if you want to hit the visitors' center of Mauna Kea... you just can't go to the summit). Get a more comfortable ride for the family. If you really need a 4WD for a day, rent from Harper's in Hilo. You'll probably still come out cheaper over all.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:28 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,523,751 times
I can't think of a lot to add to what newUHprof said.

There are only three places I think of 4X being really necessary... down to Waipeo Valley, up to the Mauna Kea peak from the Visitor's Center, and down to the green sand beach at South Point.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:33 PM

77 posts, read 213,479 times
Awesome, thank you Exactly what I needed, as always
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island