Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 08:15 PM

2 posts, read 3,766 times

Advertisements

I have current plans on a lot that already has a county issued permit and approved by the HOA and money in hand.

I am having a VERY hard time finding a contractor. Home is up near Waimea. I have called 10 contractors so far and only received 2 call backs. Those two guys cant seem to be able to give me a bid unless I guarantee they get the job (dont want to take the time to make the bid I guess)

Anybody have a recommendation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2019, 08:29 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,902,551 times
Regular growth had already created a situation where there were far more people building than there were contractors available to do it. Then the volcano wiped out over 1,000 homes and made everything much, much worse. A lot of them don't return calls from people they don't know. Your best bet is networking. In addition to the home situation they are building new malls in Pahoa and Waikaloa. The Pahoa mall will be finished this fall, at just about the time the Waikaloa mall is set to go full-steam construction. Considering it's proximity to Waimea your situation could actually get worse.

Sorry I don't have better news for you.

Old 09-28-2019, 08:31 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Offer to pay for the bid

Old 09-28-2019, 09:41 PM

6 posts, read 4,305 times
Try Tim at Handykine. He might not be big enough to do a whole house construction but he's licensed and returns calls. 808-895-3380

Old 09-29-2019, 12:33 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
Is your permit for owner-builder? Is so, then you can just hire crews for each portion of the build. It helps to have a project manager or someone to knowledgeable keep track of the whole build, though.

Old 09-29-2019, 10:57 AM

2 posts, read 3,766 times
I guess it must be lucrative to become a general contractor. Its to bad you cant just go to trade school for it. I am 32 and would do it in a heartbeat.

Old 09-29-2019, 03:34 PM

406 posts, read 865,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanfrom87 View Post
I guess it must be lucrative to become a general contractor. Its to bad you cant just go to trade school for it. I am 32 and would do it in a heartbeat.

There are schools out there for learning to be a general contractor, including online schools. Remember, Google is your friend. Jump right in there! No time like the present, especially since there seems to be a shortage of General Contractors there.

Also, check with the Associated General Contractors https://www.agc.org/ and the Hawaii Chapter https://www.gcahawaii.org/ for more information on training programs.

You should also check the Carpenters Union https://www.carpenters.org/ . My grandfather was a union carpenter - had his own business building and remodeling houses. He was still doing room additions in his late 70s/early 80s. He learned the business the hard - way working with carpenters when he was a young man.

Old 09-29-2019, 10:18 PM

48 posts, read 74,680 times
Look up John Lorenzo (J. Lorenzo construction) in Kapaau. He's a great contractor, very knowledgeable and efficient. Not cheap but he gets the job done right and quickly. I find that the cheaper contractors don't really know what they are doing and then take forever to get it done.

Old 10-08-2019, 12:51 PM

2 posts, read 3,187 times
I am in the same boat and will be on island next week. I've been trying to get info remotely but it's just not the same visiting in person. Hope to visit some of the kit suppliers there as well. Any suggestions will be most welcome! Property is in Volcano CC subdiv.

Old 12-02-2019, 01:31 PM

65 posts, read 69,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyE View Post
There are schools out there for learning to be a general contractor, including online schools. Remember, Google is your friend. Jump right in there! No time like the present, especially since there seems to be a shortage of General Contractors there.

Not entirely true. Actually, mostly misleading.

You need a MINIMUM of 4 years experience in supervisory construction work first. They won't let you take the other tests without that.

Usually, this is done by starting young and working for a contractor, then you go out and get your own license after 10 years (5 as a laborer, 5 as a supervisor). I wouldn't attempt this tract if you are over 30 starting out.

You could start your own buisness doing some element of construction, and thereby automatically get to the supervisory part on your own terms. You'd be beholden to get hired by contractors however. You may die waiting.

My own plan was to build a house for my friend on his property, then build my own place. That would all count. If after that I still can't get any buisness, I may start buying lots and dropping houses on them, then selling them. That would trigger a year long waiting period for each sale. One of the rules of "owner-builder."

Don't forget, you yourself won't be able to do ANY electrical or plumbing work, as those are license required with their own pile of barriers to entry. That's in Hawaii.

Point is, there are some serious barriers to entry you need to find a way around to get in.

Last edited by dobanion; 12-02-2019 at 01:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island