Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 08:46 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
We live at about 800 feet and the temps do get into the mid 50's during winter but not every year. This last year we didn't need to use it but this gizmo puts out a lot of heat:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...536296f9347dca
That actually makes sense if you want heat when you are sleeping as it has a auto shutoff if tipped over.

I question the safety of a wood stove when I'm asleep - it is one thing to have a fireplace or wood stove when awake - seems iffy when sleeping
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2021, 03:13 PM

13 posts, read 10,973 times
Our son is interested in buying in Ocean View, but we were told that there are safety issues in some of the higher elevations. How has your experience been? Did you have to get a permit for the yurt? Are the CC&Rs and an HOA to deal with?

Old 03-27-2021, 04:04 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paindude View Post
Our son is interested in buying in Ocean View, but we were told that there are safety issues in some of the higher elevations. How has your experience been? Did you have to get a permit for the yurt? Are the CC&Rs and an HOA to deal with?
You should probably start a new thread. There are a couple of posters here who live in OV who can best answer your questions.

There is no HOA or CC&Rs in Ocean View, which has positives and negatives. There is a Road Maintenance Association.

There are safety issues all over Ocean View.

Old 03-27-2021, 10:34 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,164,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paindude View Post
I've lived in OV for 7 years and have had zero issues related to safety/crime. There is merit to what you mention about issues higher up in the subdivision. My saying is "In OV, the higher you go, the larger the tin-foil hats". The folks that live up top, really want to be left alone. Personally, I'd never live that high up. The travel is tough on vehicle brakes and transmissions, it is really cold up there (can get below freezing) and there are way less people up there. Less people is one of the factors for opportunistic crime, criminals love to work unobserved.
I have lived in rural Northern California and rural Alaska and both had the same issues. I don't lose much sleep worrying about crime here.

Old 03-28-2021, 10:53 AM

1,227 posts, read 633,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
I've lived in OV for 7 years and have had zero issues related to safety/crime. There is merit to what you mention about issues higher up in the subdivision. My saying is "In OV, the higher you go, the larger the tin-foil hats". The folks that live up top, really want to be left alone. Personally, I'd never live that high up. The travel is tough on vehicle brakes and transmissions, it is really cold up there (can get below freezing) and there are way less people up there. Less people is one of the factors for opportunistic crime, criminals love to work unobserved.
I have lived in rural Northern California and rural Alaska and both had the same issues. I don't lose much sleep worrying about crime here.
That is really good to know. I was going to ask what are the safer areas in OV. I look on the satellite map, I know I wouldn’t want to be living next to lot with a bunch of junked cars on the property. I wouldn’t want to live in a field cinder cones, I want greenery. I want an ocean view. Are there areas that are more preferable in Ocean View? How is HOVR in comparison to HOVE?

Old 03-28-2021, 04:11 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,904,348 times
Oddly I have recently heard from two different people who have yurts they have problems with rats trying to chew into them. That was something about yurts I had not previously thought about.

Old 03-29-2021, 12:06 AM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,164,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maiden_fern View Post
That is really good to know. I was going to ask what are the safer areas in OV. I look on the satellite map, I know I wouldn’t want to be living next to lot with a bunch of junked cars on the property. I wouldn’t want to live in a field cinder cones, I want greenery. I want an ocean view. Are there areas that are more preferable in Ocean View? How is HOVR in comparison to HOVE?
Generally, when looking for rural property there are a lot of considerations:
Check out your neighbors carefully. You may or may not want to live near someone that has a bunch of abandoned cars, or dogs, roosters or a run down house. A neighbor that looks like they could be problematic is almost guaranteed to be so.
Some OV lots are narrower than others (spaghetti lots). Not nearly as usable and you may have a neighbor build really close to you. The square lots (or purchasing several adjoining lots) would be preferable.
The green belt areas of OV do have benefits (mostly just aesthetic). I have a house on an older lava flow and I love it. I have plenty of landscaping and can grow what I want, but I don't have-coqui frogs, termites, cane spiders, mosquitos, centipedes and I also have an unimpeded 180° ocean view. Being on a lava flow my house is visible from every direction which is a huge deterrent for thieves.
Asking for what is considered a desirable area is really subjective. Aloha Blvd seems to be the hot spot for building right now and there us actually a surprising amount of construction and lot clearing in the bottom third of the subdivision.

Old 03-30-2021, 07:13 AM

1,227 posts, read 633,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Oddly I have recently heard from two different people who have yurts they have problems with rats trying to chew into them. That was something about yurts I had not previously thought about.
I’ve never thought about that either. What is the best work around for that problem?

Old 03-30-2021, 11:11 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maiden_fern View Post
I’ve never thought about that either. What is the best work around for that problem?
Rats hate open terrain the hug walls and live in dense landscaping. You need a clear area around your home and not let your landscaping get to outta control. My rat man also suggested never feeding birds or wild animals the food attracts

Old 03-30-2021, 03:39 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,904,348 times
We use rat poison bait stations to keep their numbers down. We tried everything else firsts (traps, cats, etc) but the day they chewed the ignition wires on the car the gloves came off. Even with the active poisoning the rats are still here. We had a coconut palm hit by lightning and a bunch of electrocuted, flaming rats rained down from it. I had no idea so many rats lived up there. The palm was about 15 feet from the nearest bait station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island