Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 09:20 PM

186 posts, read 345,586 times

Advertisements

Who the hell would approve a project like this? In the middle of a subdivision? I mean... I'm not scared of cell towers, but a giant Christmas Tree in my backyard 105' tall? No thanks.

https://www.westhawaiitoday.com/2020...tower-permits/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2020, 12:16 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike11 View Post
but a giant Christmas Tree in my backyard 105' tall? No thanks.
In your backyard? It was my understanding you don't live in Hawaii

Old 10-15-2020, 04:02 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,022,266 times
I've heard that you can get a lot of $$$ to lease land to a cell tower, but I dunno if it's true or not.

Puna needs more cell towers, there's a lot of area there that has zero land lines.

Old 10-15-2020, 08:51 AM

10,551 posts, read 7,743,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
I've heard that you can get a lot of $$$ to lease land to a cell tower, but I dunno if it's true or not..
That's what I've heard too. A friend wanted to cash in and was really kicking himself for not soliciting for the Kurtistown tower to be built on his property less than a year ago.

Not 5G.

Old 10-15-2020, 08:26 PM

186 posts, read 345,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
In your backyard? It was my understanding you don't live in Hawaii
What does it matter where I live? How does that concern you? Are my facts wrong, or do you have a dispute with the material fact in the article? Do you need me to explain a figure of speech to you? Let's put it in your backyard next time.

Old 10-15-2020, 09:05 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,897,043 times
Quote:
Who the hell would approve a project like this? In the middle of a subdivision? I mean... I'm not scared of cell towers, but a giant Christmas Tree in my backyard 105' tall? No thanks.

From the article:

"“If you do not protect us from the towers and the harm that they cause … if you believe in a god at the end of this life, you will not be seeing Heaven,” Elmer concluded.

Other testifiers expressed health concerns tied to the radiation generated by cell towers, while one called the continued buildout of 5G technology — the fifth generation standard for telecommunications technology — a “weapon” to be utilized in an undefined war.

Tomlinson later pointed out that neither the HPP tower nor the Kurtistown tower are actually 5G towers, but 4G."

I don't know much about cellular frequencies but I understand that 5G towers would currently be impracticable for Puna because 5G has a relatively short range.

Old 10-15-2020, 10:35 PM

344 posts, read 250,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
From the article:

"“If you do not protect us from the towers and the harm that they cause … if you believe in a god at the end of this life, you will not be seeing Heaven,” Elmer concluded.

Other testifiers expressed health concerns tied to the radiation generated by cell towers, while one called the continued buildout of 5G technology — the fifth generation standard for telecommunications technology — a “weapon” to be utilized in an undefined war.

Tomlinson later pointed out that neither the HPP tower nor the Kurtistown tower are actually 5G towers, but 4G."

I don't know much about cellular frequencies but I understand that 5G towers would currently be impracticable for Puna because 5G has a relatively short range.

There are multiple flavors of 5G. They operate at different frequencies.

To get the really high speed that is advertised, you need to operate at higher frequencies, which travel less distance, so you need tightly packed cells (lots of "towers")

To provide greater 5G coverage (mainly for marketing purposes), there is also versions of 5G that operates at lower frequencies. Some of those are only marginally faster (probably unnoticeable to most people) than current 4G systems. But, they can operate on the same tower foot prints as current 4G networks.

The slower 5G versions on largely existing towers are all we are likely to get on the big island for some time.
Maybe in Kona, and possibly Hilo, there is enough density of business to justify the smaller foot print of the Higher Frequency 5G networks, but unlikely to see that in more rural places for quite some time.

Old 10-20-2020, 01:50 PM

112 posts, read 96,754 times
With that attitude I recommend moving to Puna or FF...you'll fit right in. The island needs more big mouths that react like jerks to those responding to their laundry list of questions.

Most of the time questions from folks that are "pipe-dreaming" of moving to Hawaii are ignored. Your questions have been engaged and answered ad nauseum yet you continue.

Old 05-24-2021, 02:48 PM

10 posts, read 7,228 times
Quote:

Noooooooo I thought 5G was banned on the island along with GMO's. A huge part of me wanting to move there....

Old 05-24-2021, 03:32 PM

24,454 posts, read 25,991,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel188 View Post
Noooooooo I thought 5G was banned on the island along with GMO's. A huge part of me wanting to move there....
Looks like the Big Island has 4 and 5 G.

https://www.att.com/5g/coverage-map/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island