Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 04:54 AM

2,400 posts, read 783,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
Most pigs here reside in pretty dense jungle, helicopters are not much of an option. Local pig hunters use quads to get close to trails and then hike in to hunt. A pretty different scenario than mainland pig hunting.

I'm not convinced that the Big Island actually has a "pig problem". We have a lot of hunters that subsistence hunt and I am guessing they keep the numbers pretty in-check. None of the hunters I know talk about the populations being better or worse than historic numbers.
So the issue isn't so much overpopulation as it is that pigs are doing what pigs do, and it disproportionately affect certain residents/industries (particularly transplants from the mainland).

I used to see the same in Northern California when city dwellers would move to the country and plant all sorts of plants that the deer find delicious and then complain about the deer eating them.
I used helicopters as an example of the quality of the marksmanship, and hence, safety, of professional shooters. Whether there would be a place for airborne ops would best be judged by the pros.

It is certain that the only way to control them is to kill them, and that pretty much leaves shooting them.

Old 08-10-2021, 09:23 AM

2,400 posts, read 783,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
… because anonymous poster claims are always true on the internet.

One might guess that anyone who has lived on the BI would know the realities of pigs in the jungle there. But hey …
I am and was aware of them. It wasn't nearly the same issue over 30 years ago as it is today, and it will only continue to get worse until people with such-attitudes as yours purge them.

Feral pigs are becoming a nearly global pandemic. They are even killing coral reefs by creating mud-laden runoff because of their rooting up roots in the soil which muddies up the runoff and suffocates the living organism that build the reef.

Now, a survey of the geography would be necessary, but bear in mind that helicopters, typicality the Robinson line of piston powered, relatively cheap to operate ones, can also be used to herd the animals into more-open shooting grounds. This is routinely done in Texas. Push them out of the mesquite into the plowed ground for shooters to deal with. It may or may not play a role, but if the ignorant, such are yourself, immediately and arrogantly poo poo the concept before people in-the-know have examined it closely and professionally, well not too many people will be willing to operate in such headwinds.

However, if helicopters have a place, it won't be but a piece of the overall effort.

The point is that killing them is the only answer - trap-and-release only stirs the pot.

Seek professional assistance in this. It is a problem that won't go away by itself.

I have offered, in good faith, my best advice as a well-informed layman. Do what you will with it, for I don't really care one way or another what happens over there.

Hint: Wind chimes, and mylar balloons won't do a damn bit of good.

Out.

Old 08-10-2021, 09:39 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,583,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
Are you deliberately being stupid? Those same shooters can shoot from the ground. You really should give it up.

This is what I refer to when I refer to the Hawaiian attitude. Stupid people acting like they know it all, and everyone else is stupid.

And yes, I think we all know pigs don't shoot back. Thanks for that brilliant bit of "advice".
Hmm. I wonder what has caused this poster's irrational fear of feral pigs.

p.s. - I only lived on the BI for 3 years, and I never saw one. Feral cats and a family of peacocks, yes, but never a feral pig.

Old 08-10-2021, 09:46 AM

1,227 posts, read 633,802 times
Has the Department Fish and Game tried using birth control, as they sometimes do for large deer population on the mainland?

Old 08-10-2021, 09:52 AM

21,740 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:

Now, a survey of the geography would be necessary, but bear in mind that helicopters, typicality the Robinson line of piston powered, relatively cheap to operate ones, can also be used to herd the animals into more-open shooting grounds. This is routinely done in Texas. Push them out of the mesquite into the plowed ground for shooters to deal with. It may or may not play a role, but if the ignorant, such are yourself, immediately and arrogantly poo poo the concept before people in-the-know have examined it closely and professionally, well not too many people will be willing to operate in such headwinds...
Well sir, one thing completely apparent is you aren’t one of the “professionals” you suggest Hawaii should consult . You don’t know squat about helicopters, shooting in jungle cover, efficiency / cost effectiveness.

Oh, and the BI ain’t Texas. “Plowed ground” … lolololololol … when did you say you lived BI?

Quote:
Are you deliberately being stupid? Those same shooters can shoot from the ground. You really should give it up.

This is what I refer to when I refer to the Hawaiian attitude. Stupid people acting like they know it all, and everyone else is stupid.

And yes, I think we all know pigs don't shoot back. Thanks for that brilliant bit of "advice".
Again, bubba, you don’t know squat about shooting in jungle cover … if anywhere.

And I’m not ‘Hawaiian’ … or even local (anymore).

You’re welcome for the advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island