Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2021, 12:59 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,908,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Correct - using the avocado example - you cannot export avocados to California.
Here's a good summary of Hawaii's avocado export story:

https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com...-for-industry/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2021, 05:29 AM

2,400 posts, read 783,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Here's a good summary of Hawaii's avocado export story:

https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com...-for-industry/
Customs has a form of Entry called a Transit in-Bond. Merchandise "lands" at a certain port of entry, stays intact under Custom's supervision, and transited out with formal entry made at another port of entry. With this form of Entry, goods could be landed in CA, transit to another state/port with formal Entry and Release made there. Legally, the goods never entered California. Thinking of it like flying over California in a plane, but not landing. Ocean containers, or "cans" as they are called in the trade, remain sealed until formal entry/release is made elsewhere.

The same sort of thing exists for passengers. They get off of the plane, stay in a "Transit Lounge" under Customs supervision, re board, fly and land and are cleared elsewhere - possibly in another country.

Just a thought. Probably already been tried.

Old 08-16-2021, 08:10 PM

I'm not trying to invoke a pun but I think the USDA and CBP import rules are an apples/oranges type of comparison.

I grew up in Oregon and when we travelled to California the state had their own "border patrol" on the roads where they would stop people from bringing in fruits.

Old 08-16-2021, 10:12 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,165,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
I'm not trying to invoke a pun but I think the USDA and CBP import rules are an apples/oranges type of comparison.

I grew up in Oregon and when we travelled to California the state had their own "border patrol" on the roads where they would stop people from bringing in fruits.
California was obviously unsuccessful in keeping fruits out.

Sorry, was too good a line to pass up.

Old 09-05-2021, 12:09 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,042,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
It's been 40 years since I be-boped around the B.I. I was aware of agriculture, coffee and Mac nuts come to mind, but I was surprised to learn that there are almost 1,000,000 acres "under-the-plow" so to speak on the Island of Hawaii.

The most profitable crop is not coffee, or nuts, but........Figs! Who knew. They bring $6-8 per pound, wholesale. Fig Newtons all around!

Sorry, dude. I think your database is flawed. Figs are not a widespread cash crop in Hawaii, although they could eventually be more widely grown.

https://hawaii247.com/2008/12/29/farming-with-love-choosing-the-best-figs-for-hawaii/ There's an article about folks starting or trying to start with figs in Hawaii. As usual, some varieties do much better than other varieties so picking the correct one is important.

Old 09-05-2021, 04:29 PM

Figs are easy to grow here. Take a cutting, stick it in the ground, and you have a fig tree. They start making fruit right away. We were growing some until the goats found them.

The problem is that there isn't a big market for them.

Old 09-21-2021, 12:48 AM

Someone just gave me a 'white Kadota' is that a tasty variety? Fresh figs haven't been eaten much in our household so I dunno if it's a good one or not.

Old 09-21-2021, 01:01 PM

10,567 posts, read 7,767,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Someone just gave me a 'white Kadota' is that a tasty variety? Fresh figs haven't been eaten much in our household so I dunno if it's a good one or not.
They're all good, right?

Old 09-26-2021, 11:41 PM

Heck if I know, don't think I've ever eaten a fresh fig. But, it can be planted since there's room and maybe there will be figs, if not, then another tree for the yard. Betcha the sheep would like fig leaves if it never makes figs.

Old 09-28-2021, 10:27 AM

2,400 posts, read 783,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Heck if I know, don't think I've ever eaten a fresh fig. But, it can be planted since there's room and maybe there will be figs, if not, then another tree for the yard. Betcha the sheep would like fig leaves if it never makes figs.
Why, are they embarrassed??? Get it, fig leaves!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island