Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2021, 03:32 PM

9 posts, read 11,655 times

Advertisements

Is this cabin a feasible start for off-grid living on Big Island? Just love minimalism, almost a wall-less structure, with a covered lanai. Anyone know where I can get plans for this type of structure?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Feasible Cabin for Off Grid Living?-20211217_142657.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2021, 03:42 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,162,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean_mist View Post
Is this cabin a feasible for off-grid living on Big Island? Just love minimalism, almost a wall-less structure, with a covered lanai. Anyone know where I can get plans for this type of structure?

Thanks!
I've seen folks living in Rubbermaid Garden Sheds and vans, so yeah, could be liveable. It has nice big overhangs, so blowing rain should have minimal entry.

Not sure why you would need plans for something like this unless you have zero construction experience.

This is an Ohana I finished this year. 320 Sq ft. Sleeps 4 and cost about 12k in materials. Probably about 16k to build now.

Old 12-17-2021, 04:04 PM

9 posts, read 11,655 times
I am somewhat handy, do some of my own home repairs by watching youtube videos. Never built a structure but doesn't seem too hard. Have put up a wooden fence and enjoyed it. Just the thought of having to figure out all the dimensions, screws, and small pieces on my own scares me a little.

Do you build these structures for extra income? Thanks for sharing your pic!

Old 12-17-2021, 06:23 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,895,355 times
I recently built a mini-barn using an ezframe structures kit. The framing is all 2x2s which appealed to me because when I started the project the cost of 2x4s had gone crazy high. All it takes are straight cuts and a bunch of screws to frame the structure in. If you can follow simple instructions you can build a solid structure. They have 20% off until Christmas.

https://www.ezframestructures.com/

We were so pleased with the quick construction and outcome we ordered some of their chicken coop kits while the sale is going. The mini barn is for hatching and brooding, the coops will be be for grow outs and layers.

I had stumbled across them years ago but the idea of using 2x2s was off putting, but then the price of lumber went crazy high and I remembered a friend of mine rebuilding a truck camper telling me they were framed with 2x2s and they are built for highway speed winds all the time. Just don't expect it to hold a second story or whatever.

Old 12-17-2021, 11:46 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,162,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean_mist View Post
I am somewhat handy, do some of my own home repairs by watching youtube videos. Never built a structure but doesn't seem too hard. Have put up a wooden fence and enjoyed it. Just the thought of having to figure out all the dimensions, screws, and small pieces on my own scares me a little.

Do you build these structures for extra income? Thanks for sharing your pic!
No, it was my first time building a house. I've remodled/flipped a few houses but hadn't taken on a project like this before. Did 100% of the work myself.

Old 12-18-2021, 02:45 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times
Does 'feasable' include 'legal'? That's not a permit-able structure for a dwelling should you be wanting to build a legal house. Historically, they haven't been enforcing building codes, but those days are passing fast. The build up is getting pretty heavy in a lot of the areas on the island and as population density increases, then legality will start becoming necessary.

There's now requirements for 'braced walls' which your proposed structure doesn't have. However, if you weren't going to live in it but wanted to use it as a pavilion or some such use, then it could be legal. Depending on the zoning of the land and if you keep it under the allowed size, it can be a legal "no permit necessary" structure. You still need to draw up a plot plan and show them the size and dimensions of your structure and have a non-dwelling use for it.

As for 'off grid', has anyone else noticed that all of a sudden there's all these folks who want to 'build off grid' like it's a good thing? Like it's something rare and difficult? What percentage of the houses on Hawaii Island do you suppose are 'off grid'? I don't know myself, but it's a fairly substantial percentage, I'd guess.

Pavement, power and County water are really good things if you can get them. Let alone mail delivery and possibly even pizza delivery?

There's loads of folks 'living off grid' around here, not because they want to but because there isn't any other option.

Old 12-18-2021, 04:49 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,739,679 times
That's the smallest shack I've seen yet.

Terracore's suggestion is a good one for saving a lot of money. Just be advised that if you're building in Puna, plan on a BIG roof overhang, like 4 feet in each direction. That lanai would be regularly soaked if facing windward. You can accomplish this by incorporating outboard purlins in your roof design. Not sure 2x2's would hold up when used in this manner though.

Old 12-18-2021, 05:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,183 times
I looked at the EZ frame website and had to ask their email customer service about something. They got back to me almost right away on a Saturday afternoon, with a real message not some canned auto reply, so I can vouch for their service being very responsive! They do have some nice kits. Terracore do you mind if I ask how you treat the wood when you are building these for chickens? Are you leaving the wood as is or applying some kind of paint or other protective coating? Are you able to just use pine? Thanks in advance for any details you’d be willing to share

Old 12-18-2021, 07:56 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,895,355 times
Wood sold at the regular places (like Home Depot) is Hi-Bor. ( https://www.koppersperformancechemicals.com/hi-bor/ )

Despite the claims, it doesn't resist decay very well. For our mini-barn, I treated all the hi-bor lumber that contacts the ground with an additional water repellent. And it's up on a concrete foundation that is protected by the roof overhang from getting wet. Any of the remaining wood that might get damp is painted in high-quality paint. Inside and out.

For the chicken runs, we will apply several coats of quality paint to any wood that contacts the ground, and at least a double coat to everything else. It wont last forever, but I have more days behind me than I have ahead of me. It will last long enough.

Old 12-18-2021, 08:19 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,662,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Does 'feasable' include 'legal'? That's not a permit-able structure for a dwelling should you be wanting to build a legal house. Historically, they haven't been enforcing building codes, but those days are passing fast. The build up is getting pretty heavy in a lot of the areas on the island and as population density increases, then legality will start becoming necessary.
The Building Department is still having major issues enforcing their codes. We have a property owner in our neighborhood who started building without permits in April. We reported them to the building department, and they continued to build. The building department told us that they no longer issue Stop Work Orders and were working on a Violation Notice. Apparently finally they did something because three months later, after installing the foundation, plumbing, and framing the walls the work finally stopped. Now another five months later the property owner restarted building and has a roof and siding. Meanwhile, the building department says that they are reviewing the plans but they haven't issued a permit yet. We know the building inspector knows what's going on because there is a new house being built across the street (with permits) so he's been in the neighborhood many many times. But apparently the building department doesn't seem to care about unpermitted structures!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island