Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2021, 01:47 PM

26 posts, read 35,777 times

Advertisements

When I say history, I mean who allowed these cheap "acres" subdivisions without any utilities to be built? Why are these roads STILL unpaved? Who are the people that buy lots here? When Leilani Estates was planned, was any "research" done related to the fact that it is on top of a rift zone...?

I tried to visit some of these subdivisions but there were people watching me all over. In Volcano, people were welcoming us. As soon as I crossed into Fern Forest, people in their front yards were giving me the stink eye. What is the deal with this? It boggles my mind how these two neighborhoods are so close together.

My mom is thinking about retiring in Volcano because she has found a community she can associate with (she does jewelry making) and I would also love to move their eventually. But I'm worried if I should let the close proximity to the poorer subdivisions turn me off.

I was surprised to learn about a subdivision that was COMPLETELY wiped out that I had not even known about. Kalapana Royal Gardens. Apparently the last house was wiped out in 2012.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk44...l=LeighHilbert
Has anyone lived or visited that subdivision before it was wiped out? Does anyone have pictures?

Were these subdivisions just "schemes" to collect property tax and is that why they have so many problems today? What else should I know?

Last edited by jlandmark; 12-27-2021 at 02:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2021, 02:01 PM

29 posts, read 30,054 times
Lots of good questions, I by no means know the answers, but some can be found here:

https://www.civilbeat.org/2018/05/bi...-subdivisions/

Old 12-27-2021, 02:44 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
Another thread exists on this topic -

The Cliff Notes:

Crawford Oil Company really started the selling scam of Puna targeting West Coast buyers to lots in Hawaiian Ocean View Estates in the 1950's - much like Midwest and East Coast buyers were being sold Florida swampland at the same time. These buyers of course did not know they were buying lots with mostly lave - no utilities - a lack of roads (at the time), etc. Many lots have not appreciated in value since they were sold in the 50's.

With that successful scam - others followed - such as Leilani Estates - which conveniently omitted the eruption of 1960 again targeted to West Coast buyers....

Essentially - much of it was a scam targeted to California that lasted many years......

Old 12-27-2021, 06:54 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,662,406 times
Just like the developers who draw lines on a piece of paper and call it a subdivision in southern Colorado. No utilities for miles, but people are attracted to cheap land and the ability to build and live-in unpermitted shacks. And, until recently, people weren't allowed to collect rain water like they do here in Hawaii. All has to do with water rights that most buyers are totally unaware of.

Where I live in Discovery Harbour, the subdivision was built in the 1970s and we have county water, paved streets, and streetlights. Although we can't prove it, we believe that there was a bunch of money that exchanged hands in order to get all that approved.

Old 12-27-2021, 08:06 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,895,355 times
HPP is one of the largest subdivisions in Puna, and their HOA has a history page:

History of Hawaiian Paradise Park – Welcome to Hawaiian Paradise Park

One of the original settlers of Orchidland posted on here many years ago, maybe a search can find it.

Old 12-27-2021, 08:24 PM

I just realized that what I thought was a post about Orchidland was actually DMd to me. The user hasn't been active since 2013. I'm glad I can share this before it's forgotten:

"I used to know the guy who surveyed the subdivision originally. He said laws were broken, that the sub. is/was not done according to laws at the time. It was subdivided in 1958 (I belive that was the first increment, that there was another a few years later).

Properties originally went for $250 an acre. There was a model home built on the highway just Keaau side of Orchidland drive, that cost some ridiculously low amount to build. I can see a thousand dollars or so..

I first saw it in 1973. At that time, the roads were *beautiful* wide, smooth, and "paved" with grass. I remember once a month, like clockwork, a tractor with a hedge mower would go past my street keeping the bushes back. Imagine Orchidland drive, sixty feet wide, smooth, flat and green, with just a tiny bit of wear showing a red cinder roadbed.

By mid-74, that road was a riverbed.

The tractor stopped coming around about the same time we organized the community association. Go figure. I never did know who paid for that tractor, but it apparently kept one guy in a full time job. I think it might have been State Sen. Stanley Hara, one of the original developers. I asked locals who paid for it, and the only answer I could get was "the company". Which company? I don't know. They were long gone by the time I came around. Their name was Royal Pacific Development Corporation, fwiw.

Royal Pacific got the land from Shipman Ranch, which pretty much owned Keaau to Pahoa. They got it from Rudy Tong, who got it from King Kamehameha V.

I was one of the first 20 or so residents to settle there. I put the 4th mailbox on the highway.

The last look I had was from Google street view, which shows a very different Orchidland road. Nice that it's now paved, I guess. But dang, is it ever NARROW."

Edited to add: I did request more details, similar to the Rick Edwards history of HPP as above, and they acknowledged my request, but I never heard back from them.

Last edited by terracore; 12-27-2021 at 08:42 PM..

Old 12-27-2021, 11:00 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,162,380 times
I don't hear a lot of Volcano residents complaing too much about the types of opportunistic property crimes that seem to plague much of Puna.
There are some Facebook pages such as Big Island Thieves that you could join and ask, you might get some more insight.

Old 12-28-2021, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
I don't hear a lot of Volcano residents complaing too much about the types of opportunistic property crimes that seem to plague much of Puna.
There are some Facebook pages such as Big Island Thieves that you could join and ask, you might get some more insight.
Volcano butts up against Fern Forest, the lawless "Ice Head Warzone" with 1,000 Walter Whites cooking meth using chemicals from the Philippines. I'm surprised it hasn't been stripped completely bare!

Old 12-28-2021, 08:58 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,162,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Volcano butts up against Fern Forest, the lawless "Ice Head Warzone" with 1,000 Walter Whites cooking meth using chemicals from the Philippines. I'm surprised it hasn't been stripped completely bare!
If it bleeds over into Volcano, then they aren't very vocal about it. I am a member of a lot of Facebook groups where folks report various criminal activity and Volcano doesn't come up much.
Not saying your wrong by any measure, just anecdotally I don't hear much about it.

Old 12-28-2021, 09:15 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,010,807 times
My grandmother bought 3 acres in Orchidland in 1963 for $2000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island