Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2022, 05:04 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,920,198 times

Advertisements

It’s still very much a seller’s market’: Median home sales price jumps 40% in South Hilo, Puna

..."C. J. Kimberly, owner of C. J. Kimberly Realtors, said new parcels that go on the market invariably get multiple offers that eventually go above the seller’s asking price, and leave the market within weeks. According to MLS data, homes sold on the Big Island were only on the market for a median time of 14 days.

Gauthier said that, as has been the case for much of the pandemic, the rise of remote working is a major cause for the robust market.

“What’s kept East Hawaii tamped down in the past is that there aren’t as many jobs over here,” Gauthier said. “But now that good-paying jobs are going online and people can work anywhere, people are moving here from all over.”...

https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com...uth-hilo-puna/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2022, 05:40 PM

26 posts, read 35,987 times
If you count the creepy cabins Eden Roc, Puna has some of the cheapest real estate around. All joking aside, there are still some pretty nice houses for under $250K. With all of these remote workers moving to Puna, do you believe Puna is gentrifying? I would like to see Puna become safer before I move there, but if it became too gentrified, it would lose it's charm. I wonder if people from the other islands are flocking to Puna, because they can get a home for half the price.
Attached Thumbnails
‘It’s still very much a seller’s market’: Median home sales price jumps 40% in South Hilo, Puna-download.png  

Old 04-11-2022, 09:49 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,920,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandmark View Post
If you count the creepy cabins Eden Roc, Puna has some of the cheapest real estate around. All joking aside, there are still some pretty nice houses for under $250K. With all of these remote workers moving to Puna, do you believe Puna is gentrifying? I would like to see Puna become safer before I move there, but if it became too gentrified, it would lose it's charm. I wonder if people from the other islands are flocking to Puna, because they can get a home for half the price.
Yes, it's becoming slowly gentrified and yes, people are moving here from Oahu, but I wouldn't say they are "flocking here". Maybe from the other islands too but personally have only met people recently moved from Oahu.

Old 04-11-2022, 09:55 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,932,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Median home sales price jumps 40% in South Hilo, Puna
The median is up at least 40% on Oahu - and Oahu is losing population.

The median is up nearly 50% in Las Vegas.

Austin has more than doubled.

Salt Lake City even more than doubled.

San Diego has more than doubled.

Even Chicago is up 30%

This is not unique to Hawaii.

Old 04-12-2022, 03:43 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,056,268 times
House prices in Puna are the last to go up and the first to fall in any housing market.

Old 04-14-2022, 01:38 PM

51 posts, read 42,207 times
How many of those Puna homes are permitted and when and how far are they going to crack down on those is what I would ask. I understand they've really gotten tougher lately on the issue. I have a friend who lives close to Volcano who's experiencing problems with the county and her home is far nicer (well built and in code electrical) than most of the rattletraps you think of in the non permitted cat...

Old 04-14-2022, 06:24 PM

26 posts, read 35,987 times
If the county starts cracking down on unpermitted housing, how is the population in Puna that lives in those houses (which seems like a lot) going to afford to live there?

Old 04-15-2022, 02:23 PM

10,578 posts, read 7,793,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post

“What’s kept East Hawaii tamped down in the past is that there aren’t as many jobs over here,” Gauthier said. “But now that good-paying jobs are going online and people can work anywhere, people are moving here from all over.”....
Such as? Please enlighten me. Besides software, tech stuff I'm not aware of all these great paying, remote jobs.

We need more of the not so great paying in person positions filled here in AK. Cashiers, food service, garbage men, substitute teachers and more are all short of workers.

Worker shortages weren't noticed by me in Puna this winter. During a stopover in Honokaa, however, they did seem to be seriously lacking in options for lunch dining compared to past years. The couple places open didn't actually seem interested in having guests either. Perhaps a remant of Covid fears, in addition to a lack of labor? We didn't stick around to find out.

Old 04-15-2022, 07:25 PM

344 posts, read 251,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Such as? Please enlighten me. Besides software, tech stuff I'm not aware of all these great paying, remote jobs.

We need more of the not so great paying in person positions filled here in AK. Cashiers, food service, garbage men, substitute teachers and more are all short of workers.

Worker shortages weren't noticed by me in Puna this winter. During a stopover in Honokaa, however, they did seem to be seriously lacking in options for lunch dining compared to past years. The couple places open didn't actually seem interested in having guests either. Perhaps a remant of Covid fears, in addition to a lack of labor? We didn't stick around to find out.

They are not short of workers. They are short of workers willing to work for what they are offering.

Old 04-15-2022, 11:41 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,167,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post

I have a small commercial nursery open on weekends. I always ask new customers how long they have lived here in Hawai'i. Nearly half of our customers lately have recently moved here. I don't inquire what they do for a living, but there are a LOT of folks moving to the South Kona area. I am guessing a fair amount are folks with the ability to work remotely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island