Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2023, 01:34 PM

7 posts, read 7,616 times

Advertisements

Hi all..New to this forum. I was doing a google search regarding moving to Big Island - specifically Fern Forest (Ala Naualani Rd). It might be too late lol but we’ve just put an offer for a lot there. It’s going to be some time before we can even move or start building, but didn’t wanna miss the opportunity to scoop up a nice corner square parcel. We are in CA by way of Maui where we lived Upcountry. The move wouldn’t be anything we’re not familiar with. But the area is different as well as learning to build and keeping property safe while having vacant land and starting construction. I know how the roads are, read about all the neighbors we might have, the climate, catchment. We stayed in HPP for some time and enjoyed our stay on that side. I realize the elevation is different and more secluded right now. I’m hoping there will be high speed internet one day so I can keep my work from home job. I’ve been on the Fern Forest association page and all that. Wondering if anyone has input about the area and building there recently? 1. How was the building process 2. Did it take long to set up electricity. 3. We called the internet provider and they said they’re trying to work on it which can me a long time lol. How’s the cell service if any? 4. How are you liking the neighborhood 5. How’s the rain..i know it’s colder (i read based on the topography of the address, that this road is actually lower than the 2,000 or 2500 elevation and was closer to 1800..not too sure yet about that). 5. Abel to grow things well? 6. Any regrets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2023, 01:49 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhanaMaui View Post
6. Any regrets?
Nearly all the posters who packed up for the mainland rarely reappear in this forum so you probably won't get much regarding regrets. If you think a regret is possible - I recommend renting for an extended amount of time.

Old 02-22-2023, 02:08 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
.. How’s the rain..i know it’s colder (i read based on the topography of the address, that this road is actually lower than the 2,000 or 2500 elevation and was closer to 1800..not too sure yet about that). 5. Abel to grow things well? 6. Any regrets?
That's fairly close to Glenwood, aka "Gloom wood". Much cloudier and wetter than HPP. They average over 200 inches of rain per year.

Temperature wise, I'd recommend a wood stove for winter. It's been constant rain with highs around 70 and lows about 62 from Keaau to Mt. View for the past week.

Grow things? You bet, provided they don't mind a lot of rain. A very few ultra tropical fruits will not produce there because it's not warm enough.

Not many Puna regulars on this forum. Maybe try your luck at Punaweb.

Last edited by Arktikos; 02-22-2023 at 02:19 PM..

Old 02-22-2023, 04:06 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
Quote:
Hi all..New to this forum. I was doing a google search regarding moving to Big Island - specifically Fern Forest (Ala Naualani Rd). It might be too late lol but we’ve just put an offer for a lot there. It’s going to be some time before we can even move or start building, but didn’t wanna miss the opportunity to scoop up a nice corner square parcel. We are in CA by way of Maui where we lived Upcountry. The move wouldn’t be anything we’re not familiar with. But the area is different as well as learning to build and keeping property safe while having vacant land and starting construction. I know how the roads are, read about all the neighbors we might have, the climate, catchment. We stayed in HPP for some time and enjoyed our stay on that side. I realize the elevation is different and more secluded right now. I’m hoping there will be high speed internet one day so I can keep my work from home job. I’ve been on the Fern Forest association page and all that. Wondering if anyone has input about the area and building there recently? 1. How was the building process 2. Did it take long to set up electricity. 3. We called the internet provider and they said they’re trying to work on it which can me a long time lol. How’s the cell service if any? 4. How are you liking the neighborhood 5. How’s the rain..i know it’s colder (i read based on the topography of the address, that this road is actually lower than the 2,000 or 2500 elevation and was closer to 1800..not too sure yet about that). 5. Abel to grow things well? 6. Any regrets?
Your realtor should be able to answer most of those questions.

Ala Naualani is on the lower end of Fern Forest next to Eden Roc so your ability to grow tropical things will be better than if you lived on the high side near Volcano. You might even be able to find a type of banana that will fruit there. I was recently near that area and the elevation was 2,000 feet.

As far as the electricity question goes, do you know if the SSPP has been paid? (again, your realtor should know this). If not, you'll have to pay that off before they will talk to you about bringing electricity in.

Most of Puna has fiber internet now due to FCC grants. If the area doesn't have it currently, they probably will soon. Until then, you can sign up for Starlink or potentially use a cellular plan.

Old 02-22-2023, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Nearly all the posters who packed up for the mainland rarely reappear in this forum so you probably won't get much regarding regrets. If you think a regret is possible - I recommend renting for an extended amount of time.
Thank you. I think I was more leaning towards ‘Regrets’ as in they wish they would have done something a certain way rather than what they actually did. Ie: Wish i didn’t plow my land so soon or wish I would have applied for electric way sooner..stuff like that

Old 02-22-2023, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Your realtor should be able to answer most of those questions.

Ala Naualani is on the lower end of Fern Forest next to Eden Roc so your ability to grow tropical things will be better than if you lived on the high side near Volcano. You might even be able to find a type of banana that will fruit there. I was recently near that area and the elevation was 2,000 feet.

As far as the electricity question goes, do you know if the SSPP has been paid? (again, your realtor should know this). If not, you'll have to pay that off before they will talk to you about bringing electricity in.

Most of Puna has fiber internet now due to FCC grants. If the area doesn't have it currently, they probably will soon. Until then, you can sign up for Starlink or potentially use a cellular plan.

I like the lot and location..my husband is doing a drive out to the neighborhood today. I know the roads are rough. SSPP is not paid so I know we’ll have to take care of that. Just wasn’t sure how long it takes to get set up.

Cable Co did say many areas have the fiber optic so that was promising. I haven’t completely looked into the Starlink just heard about it..TY. We’ve got some time so that’s good.

Old 02-22-2023, 04:44 PM

I read that you couldn’t get a container delivered out there ..myb bc the little roads? Anyone have a clue?

Old 02-22-2023, 05:10 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
I read that you couldn’t get a container delivered out there ..myb bc the little roads? Anyone have a clue?
I have a friend in Hawaiian Acres on a terrible road, really bad. Not only did they get a container dragged down this road it was also brought into the property on a narrow, muddy downslope driveway. This was a couple years ago.

Old 02-22-2023, 05:12 PM

Is it really that bad as far as crime/robberies. All i read are very old posts. Or is it just like ‘anywhere’ else and be vigilant about safety. TIA

Old 02-22-2023, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
I have a friend in Hawaiian Acres on a terrible road, really bad. Not only did they get a container dragged down this road it was also brought into the property on a narrow, muddy downslope driveway. This was a couple years ago.
Oh man! That would have been interesting to watch! I gotta find out if like they’re not allowed to go down some roads or if you need permission. TY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island