Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2024, 07:22 PM

2,340 posts, read 1,735,214 times

Advertisements

This is merely a point of academic curiosity. I have no plans of going to the big island.

My brother and I are talking about steep streets. He just visited San Francisco’s Bradford St, which he said is pretty steep. I’m reading about Waipi’o Valley Road and it looks like it’s here, on the map ➜ https://maps.app.goo.gl/CjtktfSjrVZqnrDJA.

That’s about 1¼ miles long, so what part of it is the steepest?

I live near San Francisco and when friends visit and I give them a tour I like to take them down Filbert Street which is pretty steep.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2024, 09:39 AM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
That's got to be it.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/20.1...!1e4?entry=ttu

Old 02-21-2024, 10:17 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It's all pretty steep. I've hiked it up and down a couple times, once in flip flops. That is not recommended when the road is wet, a common condition. Steep enough in places that a cutting back and forth across the road as if you're skiing is more comfortable than going straight down.

Lance Armstrong biked up the route in a bit less than 10 minutes. My daughter and her friend power walked up in 15-20 minutes as I recall.

Presently, only "locals" are allowed on the road. Tourists not welcome.

Old 02-21-2024, 09:26 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
It's all pretty steep. I've hiked it up and down a couple times, once in flip flops. That is not recommended when the road is wet, a common condition. Steep enough in places that a cutting back and forth across the road as if you're skiing is more comfortable than going straight down.

Lance Armstrong biked up the route in a bit less than 10 minutes. My daughter and her friend power walked up in 15-20 minutes as I recall.

Presently, only "locals" are allowed on the road. Tourists not welcome.
Ten minutes? Wow. The Google street view sort of scared me in a couple of places. Yeah, it's not the same as being there.

Old 02-29-2024, 01:57 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
It's steep, twisty, full of potholes and mostly only one lane. Cars going up are supposed to have right of way, so descending cars have to back up to the turn out (still very narrow) areas. Once down into Waipio valley, there's no commercial or communal spots to visit, no bathrooms, no stores, no shops.

Personally, I think some sort of a cable car going across the valley to a viewing area on the other side of the valley would be a good thing. Just go over to another view site and then cable car back, no tracks or trails down into the valley from the cable car. Then the tourists could see it and not annoy the folks who live there. But, that won't happen. Other than folks howling about a sacred valley, the rocks are pretty friable and getting enough support for that type of construction would be very difficult.

Old 02-29-2024, 07:15 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,573,123 times
On the Big Island, apparently it's all $acred ground, and depending on the buyer/location, it may be $$$$acred ground. TMT, anyone???

Old 03-04-2024, 09:53 PM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post
My brother and I are talking about steep streets. He just visited San Francisco’s Bradford St, which he said is

I live near San Francisco and when friends visit and I give them a tour I like to take them down Filbert Street which is pretty steep.
Are those steeper than Jones Street? I think that was one I liked to swoop down on.

Old 03-06-2024, 05:02 PM

2,340 posts, read 1,735,214 times
Bradford Street is definitely steeper than Jones. Considerably so.

https://imgur.com/gallery/CEH5hmx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island