Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 02:48 PM

206 posts, read 713,183 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine gave us alot of $10 gift cards($50 purchase) to Hilo Hattie's on Oahu... someone gave them to her etc.. so I looked on the website and it's under construction. So is it like an Outlet Mall? We have Tanger Outlet Mall here and love it.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 02:54 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,601,391 times
Aloha
Its not an outlet mall. Hilo Hattie is a small chain of stores the has joined the 20th century . They do have a sale / closeout section. I was trying to pick up something the other day and saw that the site is under construction they do this every once an a while so dont worrie it will be up soon.

good luck with your shopping spree..

Old 05-22-2009, 03:18 PM

Ok thanks.. it sounds great!!

Old 05-22-2009, 05:51 PM

115 posts, read 472,369 times
You might want to hurry, I saw they were going chapter 11.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:03 AM

Well... we will be there June 5 - June 12.. our first time... so hopefully they will still be there then!

Old 05-23-2009, 11:04 AM

19 posts, read 45,463 times
They are also super expensive. You will probably use up every card you have been given maybe only on an item or two! Good luck!

Old 05-24-2009, 09:36 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,906,856 times
It's kind of a junk/tiki emporium, but that said, they do have some of the same things that are priced 5X elsewhere. They were headed toward liquidation (the company has been bought and sold at least twice times in the past five years), but a local jewelry company bid to buy them last earlier this week: Maui Divers bids for Hilo Hattie - Hawaii Business - Starbulletin.com

Old 05-26-2009, 04:32 PM

493 posts, read 1,452,181 times
Default Maybe their being sold reflects the decrease in quality?

Over the years I've bought several Hawaiian shirts from Hilo Hattie. Last time we were there I went to the big store in Honolulu and bought a few more. None of them held up very well, especially in terms of shrinkage.

I wore one of them for the first time to a social function one evening and a button popped off. No, it wasn't "under stress!"

My wife read that when Hilo Hattie was alive and involved in the business, quality was the top concern. Like so many other companies, not so much today.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:40 PM

115 posts, read 472,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlowman View Post
Over the years I've bought several Hawaiian shirts from Hilo Hattie. Last time we were there I went to the big store in Honolulu and bought a few more. None of them held up very well, especially in terms of shrinkage.

I wore one of them for the first time to a social function one evening and a button popped off. No, it wasn't "under stress!"

My wife read that when Hilo Hattie was alive and involved in the business, quality was the top concern. Like so many other companies, not so much today.
My wife and I just for giggles went through Hattie's and picked products at random to see if anything was made in the USA and guess what, Not one. Not even anything made in Hawai'i that we could see and that's a shame.

I am not knocking overseas products or their quality just the fact of nothing if any were made in Hawai'i, I guess the cost factor or the trying to make more profit.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:58 PM

Well I guess that's why whoever sent these to my friend has tons of these cards nobody wants them hahaha!! It's worth checking out anyway if we are near it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island