Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 09:29 PM

51 posts, read 325,729 times

Advertisements

I am going to ship my vehicle from Long Beach, CA to Hilo. Can anyone tell me how this went for them? My friend has lived on the BI for over 13 yrs and has adamently told me not to buy a car there. I will be there for 3 months up to one year. Is it worth it to ship the car? Plz only those who have done this, reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 10:29 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,257,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firecoach View Post
I am going to ship my vehicle from Long Beach, CA to Hilo. Can anyone tell me how this went for them? My friend has lived on the BI for over 13 yrs and has adamently told me not to buy a car there. I will be there for 3 months up to one year. Is it worth it to ship the car? Plz only those who have done this, reply.
Whether or not it's worth it to ship your vehicle from California to Hilo depends on its age, condition, options, and adjusted market value. It took 5 days to ship my late-model vehicle from California to Hilo using Pasha for $975. If I purchased a similarly-equipped vehicle in Hilo, it would have cost me $1,500 more than in California; thus, it was worth it to me to ship it.

If you plan on shipping your vehicle to Hilo and shipping it back to California after three months or a year, it might be more cost-effective to purchase an old "island cruiser" and sell it when you leave.

Cheers,

Jonah K

Old 05-27-2007, 12:27 AM

115 posts, read 664,321 times
Quote:
...Plz only those who have done this, reply.
What about us that has done hours of research and made millions of phone calls?

Sound advice from Jonah!

Old 05-27-2007, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMammabear View Post
What about us that has done hours of research and made millions of phone calls?

Sound advice from Jonah!
Basically, I only want to know who has done this and how it was for them. I found a reputable co. who will ship for $895. I didnt want to store my vehicle here in NM. I figure, I am paying a monthly payment on it and I may as well use it! If I bought a vehicle over there, it would cost about the same for a r/t shipment. My friend says that the terrain can be rugged and that sound brakes, tires & engine are a must. That I could spend awhile trying to find a good mechanic, for an island car......so all these things I am taking into thoughtful & careful consideration.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:29 AM

60 posts, read 451,612 times
I have shipped a number of cars and know a few people who do quite a bit of it, as I have built a few classics and hotrods. First of all, the bigger mainland shippers are okay to deal with. It is the interisland shipping that causes all the problems. Young Brothers has the interisland monopoly and are notorious for damage and theft. I just had a Chevy Crewcab truck shipped from California last year and this is what happened:
A set of 4 foglamps were stolen ($700) or so, and despite that fact that I had taken the insurance they did not want to cover it. After a lot of arguements and headaches I got back about $500 after they took the deductable out.
Did minor body damage that I could not collect for.
Drained all the gas, and I mean ALL the gas out of one of my tanks.
Cut a panel inside my truck to steal the panel holding some switchs.
I know of a handful of people who have had significant theft or damage to their vehicles, and that is why I would sell and buy locally rather than ship.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssxa View Post
I have shipped a number of cars and know a few people who do quite a bit of it, as I have built a few classics and hotrods. First of all, the bigger mainland shippers are okay to deal with. It is the interisland shipping that causes all the problems. Young Brothers has the interisland monopoly and are notorious for damage and theft. I just had a Chevy Crewcab truck shipped from California last year and this is what happened:
A set of 4 foglamps were stolen ($700) or so, and despite that fact that I had taken the insurance they did not want to cover it. After a lot of arguements and headaches I got back about $500 after they took the deductable out.
I know of a handful of people who have had significant theft or damage to their vehicles, and that is why I would sell and buy locally rather than ship.
When you say the bigger mainland shippers, do you mean Matson? Have you heard anything bad about A-A Transport? They are $50 less than Matson from CA to Hilo. I know, I keep saying the same to DH about just buying an island car. His arguement is that we will end up spending the same, if not more, if something breaks down on it. I understand that. Do you know of a used car dealer or anyone who is selling an island car in Kona area??

Old 05-30-2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssxa View Post
Pasha's routes go directly from San Diego to Hilo, so one doesn't have to deal with Young Bros. I've used Maston in the past to ship vehicles and I would only use them again if there were no other alternative.

Quote:
Do you know of a used car dealer or anyone who is selling an island car in Kona area??
In terms of finding a used, "island car" in the Kona area, the West Hawai'i Today classified ads are a place to start....

Old 05-30-2007, 05:22 PM

[quote=Jonah K;798784]Pasha's routes go directly from San Diego to Hilo, so one doesn't have to deal with Young Bros. I've used Maston in the past to ship vehicles and I would only use them again if there were no other alternative. QUOTE]

Are there ANY reputable shippers from the LA area? Matson came recommended....now I am concerned. Looks like we will definately be shipping the car....thx for your help.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:42 PM

60 posts, read 451,612 times
Last time I shipped my truck, I used Horizon lines. I couldn't use Pasha? because I live in Kona and wanted my vehicle shipped to Kawaihae so it would be easy to pick up after I got off of work. If you have a nice car, I'd make sure it is enclosed because you wouldn't believe how much salt build up can be on a car when you pick it up. Not sure if all the mainland to Hawaii carriers are enclosed? Interisland is not.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:42 PM

[quote=firecoach;800525]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Are there ANY reputable shippers from the LA area? Matson came recommended....now I am concerned. Looks like we will definately be shipping the car....thx for your help.
Pasha can ship your vehicle from the Los Angeles area. They have a drop-off yard in Covina and they'll put your vehicle on an auto-carrier and take it down to San Diego, where it's loaded on the MV Jean Anne. On average, it takes 5 days for the Jean Anne to sail from San Diego to it's first port-of-call at Hilo, another day to get to Kahului, then Honolulu, and occasionally, it stops at Nawiliwili. I've been using Pasha since 2005 (when they first started operating in Hawai'i) without any problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island