Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 09:26 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,311,914 times

Advertisements

Oxford, Anniston area is very nice, very pretty. I thought Anniston seemed pretty nice, but have seen a lot of things saying the schools and crime is pretty bad. Oxford is a very nice, quaint little town. That's a great area to live, very cheap housing, pretty scenary, small-town feel everywhere. People seemed pretty friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2006, 08:05 AM

103 posts, read 453,165 times
Default Moody?

thanks all, I see that in my original post I put the "west" side of B-ham when I meant the east. I'm sure by the towns I'm looking at you all understood. I think were pretty set on Lincoln now. I do wonder if anyone could give me info on the town of Moody. Is it growing, close to bigger cities for shopping etc. schools a little "country"? Thanks again. Can't wait to come down and house hunt this week.

Old 10-24-2006, 09:34 PM

2 posts, read 7,545 times
Smile I live in Pell City

I live in Pell City, I have lived here for 11 years. If you are into the more laid back country life it is perfect, but if you are the city type then it will take some getting used to. It is pretty though. Pell City is growing fast, I can remember when there waws nothing here literally. To sum up Pell City, it is full of gas stations and restuarants and department stores and water ( logan martin lake water) everywhere lol. In my opion it would be the perfect palce to raise kids, if they had something in town for the kids to do ( family oriented). Welcome to the neighborhood.

Old 10-27-2006, 10:42 AM

1 posts, read 2,227 times
Default Family and Schools

So can someone tell me what there is to do in reguards to family activities with children?

In addition what about schools? Homeschool option?

Old 10-27-2006, 03:09 PM

9 posts, read 60,061 times
Default moving to east side of Birmingham

Hi!

We used to know a family who lived on the eastern part of Trussville - the man worked at the Honda plant. They moved to Ohio a few years ago. I think he had a longer commute than you'd like, though.

We know people who live in Moody, and my children are involved in activities there with our homeschool group, so we're there a lot. Moody and the surrounding area is a growing area - there are several new subdivisions going in in that area and the area between Moody and Argo (although Argo would be a long commute as well). You would be closer to shopping areas in Trussville and Birmingham if you were in Moody, but it is further to Lincoln than from Pell City, for example - probably another 15 or 20 minutes on I-20, depending upon side of Pell City you're talking about. The Eden side is further away from Lincoln and closer to Moody and Leeds, and the Riverside side of Pell City is closer to Lincoln.

Moody doesn't have very many stores other than fast food restaurants; most people we know who live there or in Leeds go to Trussville to do their shopping.

Pell City has a fairly new Walmart and some fast food places, but they don't have a lot of other types of stores.

We also know people who live in the Oxford / Anniston area. They seem to be happy there. And there is a shopping center in Oxford, as someone else mentioned, although I don't think there are as many stores there as you'll find in Trussville or the Birmingham area.

If you're looking for things like J.C.Penneys, Old Navy, Gap, Parisians, Target, etc. - Trussville has that - it's been a while since I was in the Oxford Mall, but I know there's a Chick-Fil-A there. I'm just not certain about the specific stores.

I don't really have specific information on the schools since we homeschool.

I hope the information I was able to give you is helpful!

Old 10-30-2006, 09:54 AM

thanx everyone for all the helpful feedback.
I just flew back from Alabama Sunday after a 4 day visit to look around.
We think we may be close to making an offer on a new home in White Plains outside of Oxford/Anniston. We agree that Bham has a lot of shopping etc to offer but also it is too long of a commute for my husband. The schools in White plains are smaller like the one our daughter currently attends in Ohio, and Oxford is less than a 10min drive for shopping etc. (depending how fast you drive : ) They say the area is growing alot and it's convenient that it's practically right between Bham and Atlanta. Wish us luck, everyone seemed very helpful in answering our questions while we were visiting down there.

Old 11-28-2006, 06:31 AM

Default Finally moving

well were finally closing on our new home in Alabama this week. Should be in before Christmas...crazy time to move. It'll be sad to move, but nice to see the hubby every nite! He's been working in down there for over a month and just coming home on weekends to help with the move. We ended up with a new build in the White Plains school district outside of Anniston. It is really beautiful down there, and I hope were as happy as we think we'll be. I got to go down for a few days only to pick out a house etc. everyone seems so laid back, a welcome change. Anyway thanks for everyones help on this board. Does anyone know much about this area in Calhoun Co.? I need to set up all my utilities etc and I'm not even sure where to begin...it's been crazy few weeks. I'd appreciate any advice on getting started and what to expect and how I can better adjust once I'm down there, our family is pretty open minded and can get along with just about anyone since we've already moved around quite a bit. Looking forward to settling in down there soon.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:12 AM

Smile finally made it

we made it, and let me just say all the rumors are true! People are very friendly down here and yes they say maa'm. Everytime I go to the store the clerk says "have a nice day" how refreshing!
Our daughter is in her first week at White Plains here in Calhoun Co.
She seems to like it although I know it's hard to adjust from moving from Ohio. She can be kind of shy at times but I'm hoping she makes some nice friends. I will say the storms down here roll in pretty fast which doesn't bother me, but those alarm systems you have sure scare our daughter! It's great that they have them in place for safety though.
I would like to look for part time work soon to meet people and be out of the home, does anyone have suggestions on areas that wouldn't be too long of a commute from the Anniston/Oxford area? My hubby already drives to Lincoln everyday so I don't want to be too far from the school etc. They have the Anniston local paper but it doesn't seem to have too many jobs. I worked in restaurant/bar management prior but really don't want to do that anymore. Looking more towards going back to office work or retail etc. Thanks in advance for any help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area