Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 05:26 PM

142 posts, read 272,588 times

Advertisements

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/americ...134900449.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 09:48 AM

121 posts, read 164,412 times

Old 03-14-2015, 11:29 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,576,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Seat A320 View Post
Being affordable is not the same as desirable, well-run, progressive or anything else. There is always a reason why things are "cheaper", whether you're talking about food, clothes or vehicles. Being cheaper can also mean you're getting less. Conflating affordability with "quality" can be quite hazardous to your health and well-being.

Birmingham is certainly cheaper, but it's also the county seat to Jefferson County which filed one of the largest municipal/county bankruptcies in American history.

As a pilot, I fly in and out of Birmingham but I would not likely choose Birmingham to live in and move my family to. Not likely at all. There are just too many other viable and better options. Sometimes you pay for what you get, but certainly not all the time of course.

Memphis TN made the list as being more affordable as well. I darn sure wouldn't live in Memphis either.

Buffalo NY made the list too. Enough said.
Left seat-what areas would you consider as viable options?

Old 03-14-2015, 03:04 PM

106 posts, read 162,179 times
Nice distinction, imo. May serve to attract some to the area. Highly underrated and affordable city with some of America's nicest and most proximal suburbs.

You have to marvel at the en vougeness of hating on Birmingham. People can't stand that it's progressing and will refuse to give it credit for doing so.

Old 03-14-2015, 03:12 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,579,090 times
Wonder why Detroit is not on the list? Houses for a mere $500.00....... LOL

Old 03-14-2015, 04:04 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,780,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litefoot View Post
Wonder why Detroit is not on the list? Houses for a mere $500.00....... LOL
After reading the article it seems to me they don't just count the city limits, but the surrounding burbs as well. So, you can't get a $500 house in Detroit's high end suburbs. Neither can you here.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:33 AM

65 posts, read 147,300 times
I myself have lived in eight states across the country and I will honestly say that Birmingham is indeed very affordable (in the context of property values, of course). A $400k home in Vestavia Hills will easily surpass $1.3M on Long Island or in Southern California (which is why the few outsiders that choose Alabama for their retirement pay cash). You will pay $700k for a home on Long Island that will sell for $120-$130k in Birmingham. That is the extreme of course, but even in a place such as Milwaukee (a city in similar social/economic trouble) the property values are still slightly higher. Where Milwaukee wins out is in their sales tax (when I lived there it was 5.6%). No grocery tax. The state income tax is slightly greater than Alabama's but the income threshold (the level at which the income tax is withheld) is higher. There are places in Florida where a house with no needed renovations can be had for $60k-$80k (but it could be situated next to a very large trailer park (trailer parks abound in Florida)); the housing crisis hit Florida very hard. Knoxville, TN (yet another place I've lived) is very comparable to Birmingham in terms of property values but job opportunities are even more scarce in that region (very scenic though). Almost the entire state of Ohio can be compared in this way to Birmingham.

It is true that many factors are at play in assessing the "affordability" of an area; I have never read such articles that would build up a city by mentioning its low property values and favorable climate and then in the next sentence, mention all the crime and political corruption-that never happens. Social/economic turmoil is a systemic issue that affects all regions of the country; some are affected in greater gradations than others (depending on the dominant industry that exists/did exist there). Every city-data forum for every city in the US will have regular posters that will spill a litany of things that are wrong with their city, raising the "fear factor" of these regions to hyperbole; you actually visit these places and they are no better or worse than anywhere else you've been (there are exceptions for the cities on the "Most Dangerous" list).

In short, Birmingham, in addition to its relative affordability (not including utilities or sales tax) does win out with regards to its climate (which most regions in the North can not offer), it's topography (which Florida/East Texas can not offer), and job opportunities, primarily in health care/medical or banking (which most areas in upper Appalachia can not offer). The high crime areas are not areas to be settled by those that have migrated to Birmingham for a "career" anyway (most never even see these areas except at 60mph from the interstate). The high crime in Birmingham historically speaking is mostly contained within Jones Valley (the spillover into Roebuck/Huffman/CenterPoint stems primarily from the dispersal of the former residents of housing projects in Ensley and Central City).

Old 03-19-2015, 07:38 AM

They trying to pass the charter school bill add in Bham being the most affordable place you now transplants will flock here. All I see is out of state licence plates on the road around BHAM nowto

Old 03-19-2015, 07:58 AM

Tourian , you think something big is coming since this here City, merchants association to build 160-space parking lot in Avondale | AL.com is planned?

Old 03-19-2015, 08:02 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,775,264 times
Would you please stop? It is a parking lot for an area that could use additional parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area