Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2015, 12:20 PM

152 posts, read 283,825 times

Advertisements

We just recently moved to the Birmingham Alabama to be near our son at the University of Alabama.

Christian (20 years young) was told he has Aplastic Anemia ( something like Leukemia) three weeks ago. Christian is a very active young man and an extremely motivated person. The first simple symptom we noticed was at a fun run in Mt. Laurel. Normally Christian would have won that race. He came in 2nd in a half marathon the year before and was an excellent runner. During that Mt. Laurel fun run/ race his 12 year old brother came in 8th overall and Christian came in way in the back. With this, and one other simple symptom we thought a physical was needed to just make sure he wasn't sick. We were never thinking the diagnosis we received and we were in shock since he was always healthy before.

With Aplastic Anemia or AA, your bone marrow no longer produces red and white blood cells as well as hemoglobin and platelets.

Over the course of the next weeks, months and possibly years my son will have to give hundreds of vials of blood, blood transfusions, clinical trial including horse antibodies, and finally we get to the cure, a perfect match of a miscellaneous bone marrow donor with a bone marrow transplant.

As a family we will win this race for life and our eyes have been opened to a huge problem that is easily resolved. Right now only 2% of the US is registered to be a bone marrow donor. There are thousands of people like my son that are looking for bone marrow donors that are a match to save his life and theirs. It is free to register and the test is done from the comfort of your own home. They prefer people who are ages 18-44, so if you are over that age the way you can help is to share this message or the Be The Match website with others who may consider donating.

Please visit bethematch.org and register to donate your marrow to someone else's Christian. This is one thing that we can all do to save a life. My wife and I are not able to donate to our son (they said it's not allowed) but we have registered ourselves to save someone else.

I know the power City Data has been in our life and the amount of viewers who read the messages here. We are actively trying to get the number of registered potential donors to 5% instead of 2% of the US. We believe this is a realistic goal... Can you help?

As far as our mood and spirit -- Christian has lead the way we will handle this and said there is to be no fear. We have faith and our hearts have never been more joyful because we can feel God in our life. HE is in control and HIS hand is in this and we have told Christian (and ourselves) to see the message that we are to learn right now.

Thank you for considering saving our son or another son or daughter out there. God Bless and Much Love!

Also, a friend made this video today -- it helps understand the experience someone with a blood disorder faces... Thank you!!

https://youtu.be/ZHJbAjvZ5QE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 05:59 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,340,550 times
Spreading the word, and registering.

Best wishes to Christian and you and your family.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:59 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,637,605 times
DigitalNormad143 When I first read your post I became emotional because I had a friend named Robin who was in her 20's and was living with Aplastic Anemia as well. She had no support from her family and suffered through depression and drug abuse trying to self-medicate herself through her illness. Robin eventually did die from her disease in her mid 20's.

As for your son Christian & your family I'm wishing you the best and we as Americans need to donate our marrows in higher frequencies than we are doing now.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:51 PM

Bob, our son is responding to treatment! Thank The Lord we live in this era. There was a new treatment at the NIH near Washington DC, a clinical trial that is in it's final phases and looking very promising. Our son without a bone marrow transplant has made a full recovery and will be going back to the University of Alabama this summer. He was bored during the last few months and volunteered his time at Chelsea Middle School for their track team. We are so happy. Thank you for your well wishes and I am so sorry that your friend wasn't able to experience what researchers are coming up with today.

Love to give a good news post. We are so grateful.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:08 PM

Would love to add that our son was also treated by Dr. Harry Erba (Hematologist) at UAB, Harvard grad. We were so blessed. There is so much hope for our sons future.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:11 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,517,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNomad143 View Post
We just recently moved to the Birmingham Alabama to be near our son at the University of Alabama.

Christian (20 years young) was told he has Aplastic Anemia ( something like Leukemia) three weeks ago. Christian is a very active young man and an extremely motivated person. The first simple symptom we noticed was at a fun run in Mt. Laurel. Normally Christian would have won that race. He came in 2nd in a half marathon the year before and was an excellent runner. During that Mt. Laurel fun run/ race his 12 year old brother came in 8th overall and Christian came in way in the back. With this, and one other simple symptom we thought a physical was needed to just make sure he wasn't sick. We were never thinking the diagnosis we received and we were in shock since he was always healthy before.

With Aplastic Anemia or AA, your bone marrow no longer produces red and white blood cells as well as hemoglobin and platelets.

Over the course of the next weeks, months and possibly years my son will have to give hundreds of vials of blood, blood transfusions, clinical trial including horse antibodies, and finally we get to the cure, a perfect match of a miscellaneous bone marrow donor with a bone marrow transplant.

As a family we will win this race for life and our eyes have been opened to a huge problem that is easily resolved. Right now only 2% of the US is registered to be a bone marrow donor. There are thousands of people like my son that are looking for bone marrow donors that are a match to save his life and theirs. It is free to register and the test is done from the comfort of your own home. They prefer people who are ages 18-44, so if you are over that age the way you can help is to share this message or the Be The Match website with others who may consider donating.

Please visit bethematch.org and register to donate your marrow to someone else's Christian. This is one thing that we can all do to save a life. My wife and I are not able to donate to our son (they said it's not allowed) but we have registered ourselves to save someone else.

I know the power City Data has been in our life and the amount of viewers who read the messages here. We are actively trying to get the number of registered potential donors to 5% instead of 2% of the US. We believe this is a realistic goal... Can you help?

As far as our mood and spirit -- Christian has lead the way we will handle this and said there is to be no fear. We have faith and our hearts have never been more joyful because we can feel God in our life. HE is in control and HIS hand is in this and we have told Christian (and ourselves) to see the message that we are to learn right now.

Thank you for considering saving our son or another son or daughter out there. God Bless and Much Love!

Also, a friend made this video today -- it helps understand the experience someone with a blood disorder faces... Thank you!!

https://youtu.be/ZHJbAjvZ5QE
Prayers for your son. Praying prayers that he and ya'll will overcome.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:25 PM

Thank you Bass&Catfish -- I think he will make it! So grateful. Will report back when we are past this, but wanted to give hope to others to fight, research and not to give up. Will always take prayers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area