Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 02:12 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,485,733 times

Advertisements

DC BLOX building

Quote:
Atlanta-based DC BLOX said today it is building a data center on the former Trinity Steel site in downtown Birmingham, creating 20 jobs initially with the potential to grow up to $785 million in capital investment and add jobs over the next decade.
Quote:
The 31,000-square-foot first phase of the multi-tenant Birmingham data center joins others DC BLOX has built or announced in Huntsville, Atlanta and Chattanooga. DC BLOX plans to break ground in August and have a facility configurable up to 5 megawatts (MW) of customer capacity by early 2019.

As customers are added, the facility can grow up to 200,000 square feet and 80 MW.
This is huge because this is going to be one of the main westernmost anchors of the 100+ acre Innovation District that will encompass both sides of the I-65 corridor with the Innovation Depot as the easternmost anchor. There is more to come in the future to this area involving UAB announcing something for this area.

Also the average salary for the jobs will be $50,000-60,000+

Last edited by jero23; 07-09-2018 at 02:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 03:37 PM

12,983 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
DC BLOX building

This is huge because this is going to be one of the main westernmost anchors of the 100+ acre Innovation District that will encompass both sides of the I-65 corridor with the Innovation Depot as the easternmost anchor. There is more to come in the future to this area involving UAB announcing something for this area.

It's funny how announcements differ. This one said 20 employees initially for B'ham, but the one in Huntsville said 50-100 employees at $80K. And it's the same dollar investment by the company. It's possible I've confused the Facebook data center that's also being built, but I think it was the same company as the B'ham one.

Old 07-09-2018, 05:55 PM

2,448 posts, read 2,233,471 times
not a huge jobs generator (especially at first), but a nice announcement nonetheless.

also nice to see large financial investments from out-of-town entities.

Old 07-09-2018, 05:56 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,772,785 times
Was hoping that site would be developed into something a little more substantial than a 20 employee data center because it is such a large tract of land so close to UAB and the city center. Figured something as simple as a data center could go basically anywhere; No need to be in the urbanized core. However, something is better than nothing... but I am skeptical this is going to transform Titusville in any meaningful way.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:13 PM

377 posts, read 340,834 times
This is very good news and a great investment in Titusville, Birmingham and Jefferson County. I am hopeful and suspect that a campus such as this with its proximity to downtown will spur additional development once it gets up and running. I know only 20 jobs is not much as a start but almost a billion dollars investment is nothing to sneeze at. This is absolutely HUGE for our growing tech scene to have the flagship data center of DC BLOX calling Birmingham home.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:06 PM

12,983 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
DC BLOX building

In the link, a future location will also be in Mobile so they'll have Alabama covered pretty well.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Was hoping that site would be developed into something a little more substantial than a 20 employee data center because it is such a large tract of land so close to UAB and the city center. Figured something as simple as a data center could go basically anywhere; No need to be in the urbanized core. However, something is better than nothing... but I am skeptical this is going to transform Titusville in any meaningful way.
You do realize that there is going to be an actual technology and innovation district that will support hundreds to thousands other jobs in the area surrounding this project? 20 jobs is the starting amount but more are coming with the built out to 200,000 square feet. The location of this due to it being near a major data hub, fiber optic trunk line along I-65, and will be one of the anchors of this district.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
It's funny how announcements differ. This one said 20 employees initially for B'ham, but the one in Huntsville said 50-100 employees at $80K. And it's the same dollar investment by the company. It's possible I've confused the Facebook data center that's also being built, but I think it was the same company as the B'ham one.
https://www.al.com/news/huntsville/i...r_planned.html

I think you are confusing it with the Facebook hub. The DC BLOX Huntsville data center will only have 10-12 employees with a smaller capacity according to the Huntsville Times press release. The salaries are likely similar to the Birmingham data center though.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:56 AM

157 posts, read 153,765 times
Quote:
You do realize that there is going to be an actual technology and innovation district that will support hundreds to thousands other jobs in the area surrounding this project? 20 jobs is the starting amount but more are coming with the built out to 200,000 square feet. The location of this due to it being near a major data hub, fiber optic trunk line along I-65, and will be one of the anchors of this district.
The bold part can't be stated enough IMO.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:29 AM

The above diagram show Birmingham will truly be the flagship hub with 10 fiber optic trunk lines connecting to this proposed data center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area