Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 10:09 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,167,836 times

Advertisements

Birmingham has a team in all 5 top sports

Birmingham Iron (football)
Birmingham Barons (baseball)
Birmingham Bulls (hockey)
Birmingham G-League (basketball)
Birmingham Legion FC (soccer)

Before 2016, there was only one (barons)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 10:46 PM

508 posts, read 616,300 times
This is amazing for Birmingham! Everyone on this forum should look into Arena Soccer. I went to a game recently.....wow! I think it would be a hit in Birmingham.

Old 10-24-2018, 07:22 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
Birmingham has a team in all 5 top sports

Birmingham Iron (football)
Birmingham Barons (baseball)
Birmingham Bulls (hockey)
Birmingham G-League (basketball)
Birmingham Legion FC (soccer)

Before 2016, there was only one (barons)

Well, it's a start anyway.

I think we have a real-deal shot, over time, of landing a major-league franchise in basketball, soccer, and possibly hockey. Football? It would take a miracle, or a zillionaire saying, "You know? I like Birmingham and want my team there." There was talk of it in 1970 with the New England Patriots. Baseball is another sport that it would take a miracle. However, I could easily see the Barons becoming a AAA franchise.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:10 AM

450 posts, read 336,237 times
Very cool indeed. If you also include how much UAB football has improved on the college side, that's a pretty good sports scene. I think UAB will take an even bigger step forward at the new stadium.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:23 AM

2,448 posts, read 2,232,771 times
I think soccer and basketball are the only 2 realistic possibilities for a major league team. Soccer because it is a relatively new sport and expanding rapidly. Basketball because similar-sized markets have proven that it can work (Memphis, Oklahoma City, New Orleans).

Old 10-24-2018, 10:59 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
I think soccer and basketball are the only 2 realistic possibilities for a major league team. Soccer because it is a relatively new sport and expanding rapidly. Basketball because similar-sized markets have proven that it can work (Memphis, Oklahoma City, New Orleans).

I would offer hockey as well. Even in the 70s, the Birmingham Bulls made a go of it and it's an entirely different town today. I think ten years from now, the metro will have developed enough to actually justify an NFL team (Look at Jacksonville). But baseball? No way.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:57 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,485,338 times
I'm now certainly more than ever that Birmingham is on the radar of the NBA and MLS for possible franchises. The response to the USL and NBA-G league franchises will likely be observed by officials in both professional leagues to determine the viability of either or both in the future.

Also, the MiLB are likely looking at how highly successful the Barons are for the possibility of upgrading the team to the AAA like other similar tier Southern cities like Durham, Nashville, Charlotte, Memphis, Louisville, New Orleans, and Norfolk.

Old 10-26-2018, 08:11 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,485,338 times
https://www.al.com/sports/2018/10/we...net-earth.html

Quote:
Birmingham Legion FC, the soccer team that begins playing in the USL next season, declined an opportunity to be Atlanta United’s minor-league club.

Atlanta United wanted to lock up the Birmingham soccer market just like the Pelicans did with this new G-League basketball team.

But Legion FC is making a go of it independently. Its ownership group believes in Birmingham’s potential. With enough support, and the right kind of management, maybe Legion FC can become an expansion team of Major League Soccer in a few years.
This is a story within the Birmingham News. Interesting quote about the Legion FC ownership making a major effort to eventually go for an MLS expansion franchise here.

Old 11-06-2018, 06:45 AM

377 posts, read 340,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
https://www.al.com/sports/2018/10/we...net-earth.html

This is a story within the Birmingham News. Interesting quote about the Legion FC ownership making a major effort to eventually go for an MLS expansion franchise here.
That was the biggest news out of that article to me. As much as it's good that we are getting a real sports culture in town (year round sporting events) the Legion FC moving to stay independent signals that they are serious about shooting for MLS expansion should the local support and opportunity arise.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:43 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,986,434 times
Soccer is the big one I see, that they should try and capitalize and invest in. It's the sport of the future, in my opinion, well at least in the US. It's already crazy popular world-wide.

NBA? Pfft, pipe dream.

Football or baseball? Put the crack pipe down.

Hockey? Maybe, but I see HSV as more of a hockey town, and it's really too close to Nashville to have a major pro team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area