Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 03:51 PM

12,994 posts, read 9,521,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoping4Huntsville View Post

This was on a FB page called "Sprawl Retrofits". These things are popping up everywhere.
Yes, they all look very similar, huh. I think some of that is just the rendering by the architects ... they'll look different from that when they're actually built. There's quite a bit of such consruction going on in the Huntsville area, in downtown, in MidCity, Town Madison, and even on Sullivan St in Madison with the new condos. The buildings don't look bad, they just look similar. But they don't really compare with the large buildings in Austin or Nashville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 03:53 PM

12,994 posts, read 9,521,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
They are already in Hoover at Ross Bridge.
RSA has all the Robert Trent Jones golf courses in the state, including Ross Bridge and the other one that's near there. And of course, the ones in the Shoals, Huntsville, Mobile, Auburn, Prattville, etc. RSA may have built the Marriott at Ross Bridge ... don't know. It's a nice one though.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:25 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,487,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
RSA has all the Robert Trent Jones golf courses in the state, including Ross Bridge and the other one that's near there. And of course, the ones in the Shoals, Huntsville, Mobile, Auburn, Prattville, etc. RSA may have built the Marriott at Ross Bridge ... don't know. It's a nice one though.
There is a Marriot hotel and resort at Ross Bridge built and maintained by RSA.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:47 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,061,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Yes, they all look very similar, huh. I think some of that is just the rendering by the architects ... they'll look different from that when they're actually built. There's quite a bit of such consruction going on in the Huntsville area, in downtown, in MidCity, Town Madison, and even on Sullivan St in Madison with the new condos. The buildings don't look bad, they just look similar. But they don't really compare with the large buildings in Austin or Nashville.
They're building these 5-6 story apartment buildings from one end of the country to the other. And the Mexicans helping to build these probably shake their heads in wonder, as CEMEX, in Mexico, insists everything be built out of concrete, even single family houses. I love 60's, 70's architecture myself. If I were going to move to Birmingham, and whether or not it would be an apartment or condo I'd hunt down a well-maintained building from the 60's, 70's.

Yes, I'm on Skyscraperpage.com and they have a Birmingham section and I've been following all the new developments going on in Birmingham.

Someone in another post claimed your tallest was just short a little from the highest in Mobile. The tallest in Mobile has got to be one of the ugliest skyline features of any city. Be thankful you don't have Mobile's tallest in Birmingham. Doesn't Birmingham have more class than that?

I live in Tucson and we really don't have a skyline, just one tall high rise downtown, and that's it!

Old 08-14-2019, 11:26 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,238,265 times
^the RSA tower in mobile is quite a bit taller than anything else in the state.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:31 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,173,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
^the RSA tower in mobile is quite a bit taller than anything else in the state.
Well Fargo tower is 34 floors, 454 ft. The rsa tower in mobile is 35 floors, 455 ft. But the spire makes it look taller than it appears..

Old 08-15-2019, 01:30 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,061,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
Well Fargo tower is 34 floors, 454 ft. The rsa tower in mobile is 35 floors, 455 ft. But the spire makes it look taller than it appears..
I don't count spires. The Sear/Willis Tower in Chicago is still the tallest in the country. The WTC tower is not the tallest as I don't count spires. The new Condo building going up near Central Park will be the tallest in the country at 1550 feet, a 130 story condo building. And no spire! So, sans spires, Birmingham then has the tallest in Alabama.

The counting spires has got to stop! So if I put up a 400 footer in Birmingham, and put a 1100 foot spire on top, then Birmingham would have the tallest in the country? You see the madness I'm talking about!

Just like that new tower they put up in L.A., they put a pole on top, and now calling it the tallest in L.A.! Not! Not! Not!

Old 08-15-2019, 08:53 AM

666 posts, read 517,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I don't count spires. The Sear/Willis Tower in Chicago is still the tallest in the country. The WTC tower is not the tallest as I don't count spires. The new Condo building going up near Central Park will be the tallest in the country at 1550 feet, a 130 story condo building. And no spire! So, sans spires, Birmingham then has the tallest in Alabama.

The counting spires has got to stop! So if I put up a 400 footer in Birmingham, and put a 1100 foot spire on top, then Birmingham would have the tallest in the country? You see the madness I'm talking about!

Just like that new tower they put up in L.A., they put a pole on top, and now calling it the tallest in L.A.! Not! Not! Not!
Agree, also like the Bank of America building in Atlanta, the spire and architecture at the top adds about 200 feet!

Old 08-15-2019, 10:25 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,173,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

I was just pointing out that the RSA building in mobile is not that much taller than the tallest in birmingham as many think. One foot separate them both...No significant difference..

Old 08-15-2019, 10:59 AM

666 posts, read 517,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
I was just pointing out that the RSA building in mobile is not that much taller than the tallest in birmingham as many think. One foot separate them both...No significant difference..
The problem is that spires offer empty bragging rights and visual appeal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area