Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2019, 09:43 AM

666 posts, read 516,467 times

Advertisements

Will Tatersall Park damage Lee Branch even more? What was supposed to be semi-high end is now looking like it'll be a car dealership or just another strip mall. At least that's the concerns I hear about. Maybe someone can offer color to that.

Also, will the Lee Branch Publix close? That seems too close together. I was told they expect both to stay open and operate. Thoughts on that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2019, 10:17 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,167,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfmx1 View Post
Will Tatersall Park damage Lee Branch even more? What was supposed to be semi-high end is now looking like it'll be a car dealership or just another strip mall. At least that's the concerns I hear about. Maybe someone can offer color to that.

Also, will the Lee Branch Publix close? That seems too close together. I was told they expect both to stay open and operate. Thoughts on that?

The Lee Branch store #882 is the largest revenue store for publix in the Birmingham metro area and top 3 in the state. A former Coca-Cola merchandiser here, so I worked that store and was close to management as well. Unbelievable the amount of sales that store does. Everyday packed. That store won't be closing anytime soon.

Old 11-14-2019, 10:29 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,124 times
More than likely, it will be fine. I remember when the Patchwork Farms store opened (near Caldwell Mill/Acton Rd) I thought that was awfully close to the Valleydale Village store (Caldwell Mill/Valleydale Rd)

Both are still open and seem to be doing fine.

As for Tattersall Park and Lee Branch's overall well-being... I wouldn't be too worried about it. No, at this exact moment in time we probably don't need all that retail square footage, but as neighborhoods along State Highway 119 and Shelby County 41 continue to grow, I think there will be enough of a middle class to support it all.

Old 11-14-2019, 10:58 AM

Yeah, I guess it just appears that Lee Branch has been struggling for a while and shows no signs of being any better than just another strip mall.

I think we all figured they'd do something mid to high end with Tattersall park but it doesn't looking like it's turning out that way.

I always figured Lee Branch, with its Greystoneish clientele would have been more up-scale. For some reason though, they never supplied the demand for that.

However, 1 mile and the other side of the road can make a HUGE difference.

Old 11-14-2019, 12:10 PM

21,021 posts, read 27,245,104 times
It is common for two Publix stores to be adjacent or across the street from each other in Florida. If a trade area can support two or more successful and high volume stores, more power to it.

The trade area could have one less supermarket. Winn-Dixie #445, Iverness Corners, 500 Iverness Corners, Birmingham, Alabama 35242, has eliminated departments, is not doing well, and has a lease expiring.

Old 11-14-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
It is common for two Publix stores to be adjacent or across the street from each other in Florida. If a trade area can support two or more successful and high volume stores, more power to it.

The trade area could have one less supermarket. Winn-Dixie #445, Iverness Corners, 500 Iverness Corners, Birmingham, Alabama 35242, has eliminated departments, is not doing well, and has a lease expiring.
Yeah that makes sense. If a Whole Foods doesn't go into the Winn Dixie location I have to call ball-dropped on that area.

It should be the 2nd or 3rd most affluent part of the metro, yet its amenities are very much middle of the road.

Greystone home prices don't seem to be what they used to be and I know a golf membership is much cheaper now.

Perhaps many of these people are moving closer in which wouldn't be a bad thing.

Old 11-14-2019, 01:14 PM

450 posts, read 336,237 times
Quote:
Yeah that makes sense. If a Whole Foods doesn't go into the Winn Dixie location I have to call ball-dropped on that area.

It should be the 2nd or 3rd most affluent part of the metro, yet its amenities are very much middle of the road.

Greystone home prices don't seem to be what they used to be and I know a golf membership is much cheaper now.

Perhaps many of these people are moving closer in which wouldn't be a bad thing.
I think this is happening more and more. Those people are getting tired of the 280 commute and the upkeep on those big houses. I think you're seeing some of those people moving closer in to Mtn Brook, Homewood, and original Vestavia to smaller (but necessarily cheaper) homes that are closer to amenities.

Old 11-15-2019, 03:02 PM

946 posts, read 775,594 times
Quote:
Yeah, I guess it just appears that Lee Branch has been struggling for a while and shows no signs of being any better than just another strip mall.

I think we all figured they'd do something mid to high end with Tattersall park but it doesn't looking like it's turning out that way.

I always figured Lee Branch, with its Greystoneish clientele would have been more up-scale. For some reason though, they never supplied the demand for that.

However, 1 mile and the other side of the road can make a HUGE difference.
I can't help but smile at these comments about mid to high end development. If the strip malls around me determine my status, I must be dirt poor! But funny thing is I have double the disposable income I had when I actually lived on Hwy 280 and have a more expensive and nicer home. LOL. I just wised up to where to live around this town.

Old 11-18-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin65 View Post
I can't help but smile at these comments about mid to high end development. If the strip malls around me determine my status, I must be dirt poor! But funny thing is I have double the disposable income I had when I actually lived on Hwy 280 and have a more expensive and nicer home. LOL. I just wised up to where to live around this town.
That's great and many of us and today's young people would be far better off taking that advice.

Thanks to banks over lending, it's allowed your $50k salaried person to afford a $300k house. Well that drives up prices. Now people buy the most expensive house they POSSIBLY can afford. Even when it's not smart. That drives up prices for people like me (and you it seems like) that don't want to be stressed over debt.

Old 11-20-2019, 06:04 AM

842 posts, read 826,417 times
Quote:
That's great and many of us and today's young people would be far better off taking that advice.

Thanks to banks over lending, it's allowed your $50k salaried person to afford a $300k house. Well that drives up prices. Now people buy the most expensive house they POSSIBLY can afford. Even when it's not smart. That drives up prices for people like me (and you it seems like) that don't want to be stressed over debt.
I agree. I think lots of things have contributed to the changes in "typical" middle class housing, including more two-career families and "peer pressure" from the home redesign shows all over TV. When I was growing up in the 1970's, the typical home was a 3 bdm/2ba ranch house with maybe 1,500 square feet. Lots of homes built before then were even smaller. Now "everyone" wants to start out in a larger home with high end, TV show finishes. And it's not just housing. Think about all of the electronics, appliances, and more that we are tempted to purchase now versus back in the day. Food is very different as well, with grocery stores selling so many expensive convenience foods, and the abundance of restaurants catering to people who eat out way way more than we did in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
View detailed profiles of: