Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 08:18 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccity3 View Post
I think MinivanDriver’s comment above is the best one I’ve ever read on here. Big amen from me.

These short-sighted objections are absolutely mind-boggling to me, emblematic of the mindset that held this city back for so long. We're not building JerryWorld here. We're building a modest 50,000-seat stadium to replace a complete dump of a place that is an embarrassment to this city. Hey, if demand picks up, the new stadium can certainly be upgraded, but it's not as if we're talking some gold plated palace to satisfy the ego of an NFL owner. In fact, I'll go on further. That study that was cited doesn't take into the halo effect that an NFL franchise confers on a city, making economic development easier. If you think that Charlotte, Nashville, or Jacksonville have regretted their civic investment, that's mighty potent crack you're smoking.

I mean, just for the sake of argument, let's forget the opportunity costs associated with not building the new stadium. Just take them off the table. Instead, let's just compare the cost of a new stadium versus keeping the wheezing old facility on the respirator. The last time I checked, the anticipated costs to just patch together the shambles that is Legion Field was going to be around $30 million, all of which would have been borne by the City of Birmingham. And that's just the costs projected to be spent over a five year period. God knows what repair bill would come up next.

So instead of throwing good money after bad, we're getting a brand new facility, one that will certainly attract more events, more visitor income, and more tax revenue. It's also a venue that will add yet more momentum to the city's burgeoning reputation. It's penny-wise and pound foolish to argue otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2020, 12:07 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,168,747 times
Can we just stick to the topic at hand, here. Another opportunity for the city to bring in outside visitors and their dollars. Good thing, right?

Old 02-16-2020, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
Can we just stick to the topic at hand, here. Another opportunity for the city to bring in outside visitors and their dollars. Good thing, right?

Absolutely. Sorry to rail for a bit. But, c'mon.

Old 02-19-2020, 01:15 PM

87 posts, read 56,958 times
would be nice if Protective Stadium could get a interactive rendering like this done at South Alabama

https://mixgulfcoast.iheart.com/cont...r-big-sponsor/

Old 02-19-2020, 01:33 PM

8,242 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
These short-sighted objections are absolutely mind-boggling to me, emblematic of the mindset that held this city back for so long. We're not building JerryWorld here. We're building a modest 50,000-seat stadium to replace a complete dump of a place that is an embarrassment to this city. Hey, if demand picks up, the new stadium can certainly be upgraded, but it's not as if we're talking some gold plated palace to satisfy the ego of an NFL owner. In fact, I'll go on further. That study that was cited doesn't take into the halo effect that an NFL franchise confers on a city, making economic development easier. If you think that Charlotte, Nashville, or Jacksonville have regretted their civic investment, that's mighty potent crack you're smoking.

I mean, just for the sake of argument, let's forget the opportunity costs associated with not building the new stadium. Just take them off the table. Instead, let's just compare the cost of a new stadium versus keeping the wheezing old facility on the respirator. The last time I checked, the anticipated costs to just patch together the shambles that is Legion Field was going to be around $30 million, all of which would have been borne by the City of Birmingham. And that's just the costs projected to be spent over a five year period. God knows what repair bill would come up next.

So instead of throwing good money after bad, we're getting a brand new facility, one that will certainly attract more events, more visitor income, and more tax revenue. It's also a venue that will add yet more momentum to the city's burgeoning reputation. It's penny-wise and pound foolish to argue otherwise.

Good Comments.. Dream Big Baby...

Old 02-19-2020, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Good Comments.. Dream Big Baby...

I'm not sure if you're being facetious or not (The Birmingham Stalliions logo), but we'll never get anywhere by dreaming small. That's for damned sure.

Old 04-28-2020, 01:24 PM

51 posts, read 50,190 times
A bunch of Morehouse (and Spelman) students and alums in Birmingham? It sounds like a dream to me! Would do a great deal to improve the city's reputation among young people. Especially since Atlanta's university center regularly produces some of the top black professionals in the country.

Old 04-28-2020, 01:35 PM

51 posts, read 50,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post

I agree with everything you've said 100%. People don't realize how big a deal the construction at the BJCC is. Not only are we getting a brand new, state of the art, 50,000 seat stadium (that could easily be expanded to 75,000 with an upper deck), but also a complete renovation of the arena to help bring it out of the 1970s. I'm tired of Birmingham being viewed as some third-tier, minor league town that USED to host the Crimson Tide from time to time. The NBA (yes, I said NBA although we are just getting a G-League team) coming to town is also huge. The NBA directly runs the G-League so now we will have that league investing in our community. This is not like minor league baseball which is it's own thing and is only loosely associated with MLB. I'd imagine Protective Stadium would also get the eyes of MLS on us at some point, especially if the Legion keep selling matches out and continue winning. Legion Field needs to be IMPLODED! I don't get the arguments that people have for keeping it. I'm a black man, and I've noticed that so many black people in BHAM feel like Legion Field is theirs and by demolishing it, the city would be taking something from them. The idea of keeping the Magic City Classic at Legion Field after Protective opens in asinine and is proof of the backward, me vs. him, black vs. white mentality that this city/metro has that has kept us from reaching our full potential. No one cares anymore that Alabama used to play home games there or that the Iron Bowl used to be there. Neither team has played a meaningful game there in over 20 years. Tear it down and build a monument or something.

*Rant Over*

Old 04-28-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter 1977 View Post
I agree with everything you've said 100%. People don't realize how big a deal the construction at the BJCC is. Not only are we getting a brand new, state of the art, 50,000 seat stadium (that could easily be expanded to 75,000 with an upper deck), but also a complete renovation of the arena to help bring it out of the 1970s. I'm tired of Birmingham being viewed as some third-tier, minor league town that USED to host the Crimson Tide from time to time. The NBA (yes, I said NBA although we are just getting a G-League team) coming to town is also huge. The NBA directly runs the G-League so now we will have that league investing in our community. This is not like minor league baseball which is it's own thing and is only loosely associated with MLB. I'd imagine Protective Stadium would also get the eyes of MLS on us at some point, especially if the Legion keep selling matches out and continue winning. Legion Field needs to be IMPLODED! I don't get the arguments that people have for keeping it. I'm a black man, and I've noticed that so many black people in BHAM feel like Legion Field is theirs and by demolishing it, the city would be taking something from them. The idea of keeping the Magic City Classic at Legion Field after Protective opens in asinine and is proof of the backward, me vs. him, black vs. white mentality that this city/metro has that has kept us from reaching our full potential. No one cares anymore that Alabama used to play home games there or that the Iron Bowl used to be there. Neither team has played a meaningful game there in over 20 years. Tear it down and build a monument or something.

*Rant Over*

Word. I'm tired of limited thinking from both sides of the racial divide. Randall Woodfin? I don't know what we did to get a mayor like him, but I'm glad he's here. Young, fresh, new ideas. Holy smokes. If he represents the direction of the metro, then things are getting really bright around here.

Old 05-06-2021, 03:56 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,168,747 times
3 football games on Oct. 9th in the area

https://www.al.com/sports/2021/05/bi...e-in-town.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area