Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 07:59 PM

666 posts, read 519,869 times

Advertisements

Can't make this stuff up. The Birmingham Housing Authority or HABD chose to end it's FREE relationship with Church of the Highlands because their pastor Chris Hodges LIKED a picture on Instagram.

The church, which I'm not a part of nor much of a fan of, did so much good for the city and the city decides it doesn't need them? This is like a homeless hungry man refusing food from someone wearing a MAGA hat.

The instagram isn't even that bad. It's not like KKK or racist, it's just right wing. There are black contributors on it.

The point is the city decided to X a very healthy relationship because of this? What are we coming to?

Decisions like this are what keep our head under water.

https://www.al.com/news/2020/06/birm...highlands.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2020, 08:18 AM

1,718 posts, read 1,996,307 times
COTH basically loses nothing in this deal. HABD loses everything. Nice job, guys.

Old 06-09-2020, 08:18 AM

346 posts, read 266,761 times
Sounds like the Birmingham school system is also looking to end their relationship with COTH. My understanding is that they pay BCS a decent amount of money to use two school buildings on Sundays. Seems like another stupid thing to do.

Old 06-09-2020, 10:42 AM

666 posts, read 519,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
COTH basically loses nothing in this deal. HABD loses everything. Nice job, guys.
Perhaps. They certainly were not paid. However, I do think they're losing something, someone to serve in need.

I make zero endorsements of the pastor who I have listened to and gone to this church a lot. I can certainly articulate my angst but I don't feel this is necessary. Basically, he either misses the beauty and simplicity of the gospel message or it's very secondary. This is especially apparent at most of their past Easter services.

So I don't want anyone to think I'm throwing this out there in defense of him, but in defense of people wanting to help shoulder a burden, help make us more together and equal. This is NOT the time to be creating and inventing new divisions especially at the expense of your own people.

Old 06-09-2020, 05:54 PM

2,999 posts, read 3,595,498 times
People want to be offended by something now.
If people are happy and doing positive things then it is offensive to someone and must be stopped.

Old 06-09-2020, 08:44 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,063,688 times
To be perfectly honest, I trust the Cult On The Hill about as far as I can throw my car.

Old 06-09-2020, 08:48 PM

346 posts, read 266,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
To be perfectly honest, I trust the Cult On The Hill about as far as I can throw my car.
You don’t even have to trust them to realize that they are doing good things for the community. The BCS just kicked them out too which will take almost $300k away from them. People always harp on BCS needing more money and to let that much go out the door seems a little stupid.

Old 06-10-2020, 07:37 AM

1,718 posts, read 1,996,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
This doesn't take away from the fact that the BCS made a ridiculous, stupid decision. It proves they don't care about the kids.

Old 06-10-2020, 07:41 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,244,308 times
or, they don't want their kids (the overwhelming majority of whom are african-american) associated with and influenced by an organization whose leader clearly has some very specific views concerning BLM, white privilege and racism.

Old 06-10-2020, 07:44 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,244,308 times
i do feel bad for the many volunteers who do have good intentions and whose views are not reflected by the pastor, but it seems like this is the time to take stock of which churches/organizations you're a part of if these views are coming from the top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area