Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2021, 02:00 PM

2,448 posts, read 2,233,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfmx1 View Post
Last, I'm sure the riots caused alot of people to move out and/or decide NOT to move in to downtown. I know a couple personally who jetted out.
eh, i think this part has been overblown. the "riots" here lasted one night maybe? several storefronts were damaged, but no major harm.

also, "census day" was april 1st, and that occurred in may... so it wouldn't have had any bearing on the number.

the people you know that left cited rioting as their main reason for leaving downtown?

Last edited by TimCity2000; 08-26-2021 at 02:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2021, 02:36 PM

666 posts, read 516,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
eh, i think this part has been overblown. the "riots" here lasted one night maybe? several storefronts were damaged, but no major harm.

also, "census day" was april 1st, and that occurred in may... so it wouldn't have had any bearing on the number.

the people you know that left cited rioting as their main reason for leaving downtown?
The people I know who lived downtown couldn't go back to their apt buildings for about a week following the riots as they had to clean up and evacuate smoke. These were girls and did feel unsafe and did not renew their leases. Maybe this was after the census count though so maybe it had no effect.

They mainly lived north of the tracks. They won't go out at night except in their car. I mean that was the case before the riots.. They wouldn't walk around the block at night alone especially. No dog walking after sun down. That weighs on you after a while.

I'm NOT saying their fears were all justified, but none the less, those fears are real and in the minds of girls who live downtown.

When we moved to a new city a while back, we had no idea how to judge a neighborhood but one way I judged was this: "how many females are willing to jog / walk alone around here?"

Old 08-26-2021, 06:12 PM

12,977 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfmx1 View Post
The people I know who lived downtown couldn't go back to their apt buildings for about a week following the riots as they had to clean up and evacuate smoke. These were girls and did feel unsafe and did not renew their leases. Maybe this was after the census count though so maybe it had no effect.

They mainly lived north of the tracks. They won't go out at night except in their car. I mean that was the case before the riots.. They wouldn't walk around the block at night alone especially. No dog walking after sun down. That weighs on you after a while.

I'm NOT saying their fears were all justified, but none the less, those fears are real and in the minds of girls who live downtown.

When we moved to a new city a while back, we had no idea how to judge a neighborhood but one way I judged was this: "how many females are willing to jog / walk alone around here?"
Actually, that's probably a pretty good judgement criterion. The main problem in my neighborhood is the danger of stepping in goose poop on a walk on the sidewalk around the lake. That, and the occasional fox and coyote, which, of course, pose no danger but some folks are skittish. Have to watch out for copperheads and cottonmouths in the daytime though.

I must live under a rock - I had no idea the riots in Birmingham were that bad. Maybe they were just overshadowed by Minneapolis, Portland, Baltimore, New York, etc. Of course, any riot is terrible and would convince any person, especially females, to consider whether they want to go out because of their safety.

Old 08-26-2021, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I must live under a rock - I had no idea the riots in Birmingham were that bad. Maybe they were just overshadowed by Minneapolis, Portland, Baltimore, New York, etc. Of course, any riot is terrible and would convince any person, especially females, to consider whether they want to go out because of their safety.
they weren't: Video, images from Birmingham protests that ended with vandalism, damage.

"The protests in Birmingham lasted for about eight hours on Sunday going past midnight into Monday morning."

it's not like there are throngs of people waiting downtown at a moment's notice to go looting. obviously things reached a boiling point that night, and downtowns are where gatherings / protests like that would tend to take place.

besides, as stated above... this wouldn't have had any bearing on the census regardless, which is what this thread is about.

guess we'll see if the 2030 Census bears y'alls' hypothesis out.

Old 08-27-2021, 09:15 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
they weren't: Video, images from Birmingham protests that ended with vandalism, damage.

"The protests in Birmingham lasted for about eight hours on Sunday going past midnight into Monday morning."

it's not like there are throngs of people waiting downtown at a moment's notice to go looting. obviously things reached a boiling point that night, and downtowns are where gatherings / protests like that would tend to take place.

besides, as stated above... this wouldn't have had any bearing on the census regardless, which is what this thread is about.

guess we'll see if the 2030 Census bears y'alls' hypothesis out.

Yep. I see people out walking their dogs at night all the time downtown. And I'm down there a lot.

As far as the dustup is concerned last June, it was pretty limited. Certainly not what it was elsewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opLOG8ytpLA&t=261s

Old 08-27-2021, 10:19 AM

Maybe it lasted only 8 hours but that's enough to scare people. Again, one of my friends couldn't go back into her apt building for a week. Also, you can say they "weren't that bad" but in people's minds, it was - especially when they watch the news.. They equate what's happening other places to what's happening in our city.

I wouldn't say this was small fries by any means though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVJbEhsdI_E

Old 08-27-2021, 10:41 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,880 times
And it isn't just the riots themselves. This may shock some of the woke left, but some people actually want to live in areas where crime is hard to get away with. Some people want a strong police force. I can understand why people would be leery of investing in an area that is run by people who are more concerned with making sure bathrooms are safe spaces yada yada yada than they are with reducing violent crime rates.

Don't want to get the conversation going that direction, but let's not pretend that some people are hesitant to raise their kids in that type of environment when Shelby County is right over the mountain.

Old 08-27-2021, 10:55 AM

yeah, looks like similar damage caused by University of Kentucky students and LA Lakers fans rioting after winning championships:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZn-dQ9z5G8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuqoYvSh064

Old 08-27-2021, 11:05 AM

Ok? What's your point? My point is simple, those riots causes alot of white people, especially single white girls to want to move out or never move in.

It's the same reason most people I know don't go to the Galleria anymore. When you mention the Galleria to them they respond with "ahh man yeah that used to be 'the place', went there all the time but not anymore no way."

Perhaps their fears or angst is misguided, who cares, it's real.

Old 08-27-2021, 11:05 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
And it isn't just the riots themselves. This may shock some of the woke left, but some people actually want to live in areas where crime is hard to get away with. Some people want a strong police force. I can understand why people would be leery of investing in an area that is run by people who are more concerned with making sure bathrooms are safe spaces yada yada yada than they are with reducing violent crime rates.

Don't want to get the conversation going that direction, but let's not pretend that some people are hesitant to raise their kids in that type of environment when Shelby County is right over the mountain.

One of my colleagues lives off Altadena near Oak Mountain High School. Still locks his door when he's going out to check the mailbox. Or several of my wife's friends who live in Greystone behind a gated community. Sure didn't keep them from their houses getting burgled. One particularly silly friend of my wife carries around her pink pistol when she drives over to the Publix across the street. Even named it Daisy.

Meanwhile, my wife and I lived in Avondale for 13 years without incident. Before that I lived on Southside for another 6 with nary a problem. And we've lived back on Southside for another 3 as empty nesters, again with no problem.

Personally, I'd rather live my life in a part of town with a lot to do and be reasonably aware than to exile myself out to the boonies because of my rampant paranoia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area