Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2021, 09:37 AM

26 posts, read 22,613 times

Advertisements

Is it safe? Stable or desirable/affordable? Changes? demographics/politics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2021, 11:13 AM

842 posts, read 827,740 times
I think it's a reasonable area and pretty affordable for being so close in to UAB and downtown. It's not as trendy as other in-town neighborhoods, so the area won't be as polished as some others. I think the demographics in that area are somewhat mixed. Politically I would assume it skews left, as do most neighborhoods in Birmingham proper. But I don't think the political atmosphere of that section of the city would be an issue for anyone offhand. I don't think people will try to recruit you to eat the rich or tell you you are microchipped and magnetized if vaccinated.

There are some rougher, higher crime neighborhoods just across I-65 from that area, and I don't know offhand if there is any significant spillover of crime from there.

Old 11-20-2021, 06:00 AM

Thanks.

What about racial/ethnic/religious data or makekup??

Old 11-20-2021, 06:06 AM

Also, I forgot. Within the Birmingham proper which areas or zips are conservative and safe? Not looking to discover partying student-like or hipster-like areas at all. Quiet

Old 11-20-2021, 10:38 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,773,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques_meihaufer View Post
Also, I forgot. Within the Birmingham proper which areas or zips are conservative and safe? Not looking to discover partying student-like or hipster-like areas at all. Quiet
I can't think of any area that is near George Ward Park that fits all of the following: safe, conservative, mostly young/students/hipsters. In fact, I'm not sure you'll find many areas within all of the city limits of Birmingham that fit even two of those 3.

Old 11-20-2021, 11:27 AM

1,038 posts, read 1,338,300 times
Quote:
You are looking for IDLEWILD HILLS, which is the highest point above GLEN IRIS and GLEN IRIS PARK. This area is safer then where I live out in the suburbs now. Families and singles, thirtes to sixties, actually fairly conservative considering how radical liberals have become. There is a strong third, fourth generation of Lebanese Christians in that area going down to Tenth and Tenth. To get better you have to go east of Twentieth with a substantial price penalty. The above area is only going to get better it has become the choice of young marrieds associated with UAB/UAB Medical District.

Old 11-21-2021, 05:10 AM

842 posts, read 827,740 times
Quote:
Do you have to live in Birmingham proper? And what is your price range? If you're looking for quiet, safe, conservative-leaning areas, the suburban cities just south and east of Red Mountain likely fit the bill. Homewood is especially close-in to downtown Birmingham but very pricey for the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
View detailed profiles of: