Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2024, 12:00 PM

410 posts, read 368,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfmx1 View Post
Stay tuned to what and for how many decades? My gah. That Comebacktown article says nothing! 55% are in agreement cooperation has gotten better? What does that mean on the ground? I guess it's good but 55% is a pretty low number to judge if cooperation has gotten better in the past 7 years. So that will change what? Will we be getting an Ikea? Will whole foods not close locations? Will Brookwood mall finally be reviatalized bringing us only back to par 20 years ago?

Nothing in that article tells anyone to stop looking to move away.

This kinda crap is what makes people roll their eyes.
true, and I think part of the 'looking to move away' problems are because the most liveable areas of the birmingham area have become relatively expensive(and even unaffordable) for some. So it's either live somewhere they really don't want, or be 'house poor'. And so given those options they tend to want to move away......

Keep in mind when they put out statistics showing 'average housing costs' for an area, those mean almost nothing without knowing what % of that housing stock in the area is desirable. You can have a situation where market A has average housing costs(to buy) of 750k and market B has an average of 280k, but market A is actually much more affordable because such a high % of the housing stock in market A is acceptable vs B. But a lot of people just look at the numbers in a superficial way and then are surprised when they get here and they don't like their options at these average price points.

To be honest i don't know the solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2024, 01:03 PM

674 posts, read 524,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosman View Post
true, and I think part of the 'looking to move away' problems are because the most liveable areas of the birmingham area have become relatively expensive(and even unaffordable) for some. So it's either live somewhere they really don't want, or be 'house poor'. And so given those options they tend to want to move away......

Keep in mind when they put out statistics showing 'average housing costs' for an area, those mean almost nothing without knowing what % of that housing stock in the area is desirable. You can have a situation where market A has average housing costs(to buy) of 750k and market B has an average of 280k, but market A is actually much more affordable because such a high % of the housing stock in market A is acceptable vs B. But a lot of people just look at the numbers in a superficial way and then are surprised when they get here and they don't like their options at these average price points.

To be honest i don't know the solution.
Well also, those areas (MB, Homewood, and parts of VH) are darn near as expensive as the nicer parts of Nashville, Atlanta, Dallas, Austin... YEs theyre nice and livable but theyre certainly not fancy or exceptional like many of the similarly priced subrubs of these other cities.. Think Alpharetta, plano, frisco, southlake, franklin, roswell, compared to Homewood and Mountain Brook... Not where would YOU prefer to live, but where do you think the average person would prefer?

Old 01-11-2024, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Well also, those areas (MB, Homewood, and parts of VH) are darn near as expensive as the nicer parts of Nashville, Atlanta, Dallas, Austin... YEs theyre nice and livable but theyre certainly not fancy or exceptional like many of the similarly priced subrubs of these other cities.. Think Alpharetta, plano, frisco, southlake, franklin, roswell, compared to Homewood and Mountain Brook... Not where would YOU prefer to live, but where do you think the average person would prefer?

true....I was shocked how housing prices in the better parts of mtn brook and even homewood for a 2400 sq ft house with good curb appeal are not much less than those same sort of houses in the best parts of atlanta. I would have thought with atlanta being a much much much much bigger area that would be reflected in prices.

Regarding the alpharetta question; alpharetta is really two separate areas. There is the little downtown alpharetta area which is close to Avalon as well, and then there is the rest of alpharetta. The 'rest' of alpharetta basically has hoover prices. It's *very* affordable and much less than MB/Homewood. However the downtown part of alpharetta is pretty expensive....townhouses run like 1-1.5 for 2400-3000 sq ft and houses over 2 million(for more sq ft).

The problem with alpharetta is it takes forever to go from alpharetta to somewhere like midtown if you work in midtown. For that reason alone I really wouldn't go for alpharetta.

Old 01-11-2024, 04:04 PM

Quote:
true....I was shocked how housing prices in the better parts of mtn brook and even homewood for a 2400 sq ft house with good curb appeal are not much less than those same sort of houses in the best parts of atlanta. I would have thought with atlanta being a much much much much bigger area that would be reflected in prices.

Regarding the alpharetta question; alpharetta is really two separate areas. There is the little downtown alpharetta area which is close to Avalon as well, and then there is the rest of alpharetta. The 'rest' of alpharetta basically has hoover prices. It's *very* affordable and much less than MB/Homewood. However the downtown part of alpharetta is pretty expensive....townhouses run like 1-1.5 for 2400-3000 sq ft and houses over 2 million(for more sq ft).

The problem with alpharetta is it takes forever to go from alpharetta to somewhere like midtown if you work in midtown. For that reason alone I really wouldn't go for alpharetta.
Yes but the beauty of Alhparetta is you do still have the "little downtown" area.. It stands on its own as a very good place to live with tons to do. So, sure it takes a while to get to Midtown, but look at what all you have locally.

Same way with Plano/Frisco, although it's much easier to get to downtown Dallas, if you live in Plano/Frisco you never need to. THey're a big city on their own.

Old 01-11-2024, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Yes but the beauty of Alhparetta is you do still have the "little downtown" area.. It stands on its own as a very good place to live with tons to do. So, sure it takes a while to get to Midtown, but look at what all you have locally.

Same way with Plano/Frisco, although it's much easier to get to downtown Dallas, if you live in Plano/Frisco you never need to. THey're a big city on their own.
Yeah I've actually been to Alpharetta fairly recently. I can't say I was blown away by it. I mean I'm sure it would be fine to live there, but the downtown area(even + the avalon which is like 2/3rds of a mile to a mile from it) isn't really big. There are some mixed use type buildings with bars/restaurants below and apts or condos above....the typical look.

I thought it was an ok place to live but given the choice of the best part of crestline village, or other areas of mountain brook like Canterbury rd/surrey rd/etc(hard to find non-huge houses there though), or the best part of edgewood vs downtown Alpharetta, I'd just stay here. Of course there are going to be more job opportunities depending on one's field(not neccessarily for me) in Alpharetta because of Atlanta, but unless you work in Alpharetta, and to be fair some do, you likely are doing that 50-60 minute haul into midtown or downtown.

The other thing about downtown alpharetta is the housing stock is really limited there. And the places *right* there are mostly townhouses or condos above or next to the strip of bars/restaurants. There are a few large(ie 3500+ sq ft) houses along a row, but there is so much more residential variety/options in crestline village and edgewood.

Old 01-12-2024, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Yeah I've actually been to Alpharetta fairly recently. I can't say I was blown away by it. I mean I'm sure it would be fine to live there, but the downtown area(even + the avalon which is like 2/3rds of a mile to a mile from it) isn't really big. There are some mixed use type buildings with bars/restaurants below and apts or condos above....the typical look.

I thought it was an ok place to live but given the choice of the best part of crestline village, or other areas of mountain brook like Canterbury rd/surrey rd/etc(hard to find non-huge houses there though), or the best part of edgewood vs downtown Alpharetta, I'd just stay here. Of course there are going to be more job opportunities depending on one's field(not neccessarily for me) in Alpharetta because of Atlanta, but unless you work in Alpharetta, and to be fair some do, you likely are doing that 50-60 minute haul into midtown or downtown.

The other thing about downtown alpharetta is the housing stock is really limited there. And the places *right* there are mostly townhouses or condos above or next to the strip of bars/restaurants. There are a few large(ie 3500+ sq ft) houses along a row, but there is so much more residential variety/options in crestline village and edgewood.
Alpharetta itself might not have done it for you but your proximity to other premium suburbs is great.. Personally, I dont see anything special about homewood or MB. Some very nice houses but I'm talking about things to do, buy and see. I just think they're vastly overrated and MB, given it's percapita income, lacks some of the luxury/upscale shopping/dining that would be demanded in another city. I guess MB is so much old money and old people they don't care about that. MB villages COULD BE so awesome, but they're kinda not.

There's just alot more to do and more cool areas.. ALOT more places to go where you say "ahhhh now this is nice..." or "this is so cool, a fancy bowling alley!" I'm not sure if BIrmingham has fancy bowling yet but if they do it's brand new. If you want high-end anything, you can't find it in Birmingham.

Now, that might not affect you, but you can see how the average young successful person would be drawn to the bright lights and shiny exotic things of a premium suburb that Birmingham simply doesn't have.

Old 01-12-2024, 01:24 PM

463 posts, read 343,946 times
I would say Homewood and Mtn Brook's premium shopping is found at local boutique shops (Le Weekend, Monkees, Hemline, etc). Plenty of expensive clothing/shoes/furniture/home decor to buy in those type stores. To me it makes those areas actually more attractive given that it's unique stores vs Prada and Louis Vuitton.

Old 01-12-2024, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamblazer View Post
I would say Homewood and Mtn Brook's premium shopping is found at local boutique shops (Le Weekend, Monkees, Hemline, etc). Plenty of expensive clothing/shoes/furniture/home decor to buy in those type stores. To me it makes those areas actually more attractive given that it's unique stores vs Prada and Louis Vuitton.
But there's a value to the premium name brand. Most of those stores are selling expensive low quality unknown products.. Not always, but often. They don't attract buyers other than local. They don't scream "hey I'm a premium part of town."

Prada, LV, Gucci, Hermes, Ferrari, Lambo, RR, and Bentley etc wouldn't come to MB for a reason. Those names are a stamp of prominence and prestige.

Doesn't mean we suck, but I look at things through the eyes of a young professional trying to figure out where her/she wants to live, play, marry, and stay. My 50+ year old eyes say Bham is fine if I have to. But my younger guy eyes are looking elsewhere.

Old 01-12-2024, 02:17 PM

463 posts, read 343,946 times
Quote:
But there's a value to the premium name brand. Most of those stores are selling expensive low quality unknown products.. Not always, but often. They don't attract buyers other than local. They don't scream "hey I'm a premium part of town."

Prada, LV, Gucci, Hermes, Ferrari, Lambo, RR, and Bentley etc wouldn't come to MB for a reason. Those names are a stamp of prominence and prestige.

Doesn't mean we suck, but I look at things through the eyes of a young professional trying to figure out where her/she wants to live, play, marry, and stay. My 50+ year old eyes say Bham is fine if I have to. But my younger guy eyes are looking elsewhere.
I get that to a degree. Not sure I agree about the stores in HW & MB selling low quality items though. Several of those clothing boutiques sell labels you can't get elsewhere in Birmingham that would be carried at somewhere like Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, and Saks (though we do have that one). If Birmingham was going to get a global luxury store like the ones you mentioned I would expect to see it at The Summit vs Crestline Village. And I believe there's a RR dealer on Grants Mill Road with the other luxury car dealers.

Old 01-12-2024, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamblazer View Post
I get that to a degree. Not sure I agree about the stores in HW & MB selling low quality items though. Several of those clothing boutiques sell labels you can't get elsewhere in Birmingham that would be carried at somewhere like Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, and Saks (though we do have that one). If Birmingham was going to get a global luxury store like the ones you mentioned I would expect to see it at The Summit vs Crestline Village. And I believe there's a RR dealer on Grants Mill Road with the other luxury car dealers.
There isn't a Rolls Royce dealership anywhere in Birmingham. For actual high end stuff you have to go somewhere else. None of us on here may be able to afford one of those, but we all want to live in a place where there are people who can, because with them, comes other great amenities including often times jobs. Just a generality of course, but pretty darn true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area