Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2023, 11:20 AM

10,513 posts, read 7,108,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotLuv4Bham View Post
You know the old saying goes, "Women lie, men lie, but numbers don't!"
Stay tuned!

Well, as Disraeli said, 'There are three kinds of lies: Lies, damned lies, and statistics.' But these numbers look good to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2023, 11:53 AM

950 posts, read 862,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Well, as Disraeli said, 'There are three kinds of lies: Lies, damned lies, and statistics.' But these numbers look good to me.
Bet you won't see AL.COM report this, or the fact that metro Birmingham is now larger than metro New Orleans. But had it been a certain other city, it would have been plastered all over their website. It's cool though! Just stay tuned!

Old 10-13-2023, 01:55 PM

583 posts, read 578,992 times
Why is Birmingham always bragging? I agree that Birmingham is pretty. It just seems like Birmingham is constantly shouting how perfect it is, in a way I haven't noticed with other cities except maybe Louisville.

Old 10-13-2023, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
Why is Birmingham always bragging? I agree that Birmingham is pretty. It just seems like Birmingham is constantly shouting how perfect it is, in a way I haven't noticed with other cities except maybe Louisville.
Perfect? No.
Awesome? Definitely!

Old 10-13-2023, 03:56 PM

10,513 posts, read 7,108,741 times
Quote:

Not bragging. It's excitement that we seem to have turned a corner in the past 10-15 years.

Old 10-13-2023, 04:16 PM

2,118 posts, read 2,201,028 times
As a downtown resident, it's been this way for awhile, honestly. 2019, it was getting insane. Like just seeing new stuff pop up probably every other week. Then covid happen and sorta kill the momentum around downtown. It has gotten back to pre-covid development timeline.

Old 10-13-2023, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
As a downtown resident, it's been this way for awhile, honestly. 2019, it was getting insane. Like just seeing new stuff pop up probably every other week. Then covid happen and sorta kill the momentum around downtown. It has gotten back to pre-covid development timeline.
The 2020 U.S. Census numbers were B.S. all along, but we knew that already! They had to apologize to the entire state of Mississippi for undercounting them, then they had to apologize to Tuscaloosa for undercounting them! COVID along with alot of other issues threw off the 2020 Census count, and certain municipalities are just now receiving apologies for it. It's cool, because we all knew that Birmingham was growing all along!

Stay tuned!

Check out the articles below!

https://www.wlbt.com/2022/05/21/late...rcounted-2020/

https://www.wbrc.com/2023/09/26/new-...-census-count/

Old 10-14-2023, 06:15 AM

3,263 posts, read 3,796,998 times
Quote:
The 2020 U.S. Census numbers were B.S. all along, but we knew that already! They had to apologize to the entire state of Mississippi for undercounting them, then they had to apologize to Tuscaloosa for undercounting them! COVID along with alot of other issues threw off the 2020 Census count, and certain municipalities are just now receiving apologies for it. It's cool, because we all knew that Birmingham was growing all along!

Stay tuned!

Check out the articles below!

https://www.wlbt.com/2022/05/21/late...rcounted-2020/

https://www.wbrc.com/2023/09/26/new-...-census-count/

lmao. you are so delusional.

"look! the census undercounted mississippi by 4% so i'm just going to assume birmingham was also undercounted by that much!"

the funniest part is if we just add 4% to birmingham's numbers despite little evidence to indicate we should, then birmingham *still* lost people between 2010 and today... just not as many as they were losing in the decades prior.

maybe you thought birmingham was growing all along, but plenty of people knew that while a handful of near-downtown neighborhoods were being revitalized... dozens of neighborhoods, particularly on the north and west side of town, continued to erode.

i look forward to excuses from GotLuv4Bham (Tourian) as to why birmingham got undercounted in 2030, just as the excuses flew after the 2010 and 2020 censuses.

Last edited by steveklein; 10-14-2023 at 06:26 AM..

Old 10-14-2023, 08:32 AM

23,569 posts, read 44,286,897 times
Quote:
As a sometime visitor to the Birmingham area, I feel its residents have every right to blow their own horn. If anything, I would consider it one of the most undersold cities in the South, and this news about its downtown is music to my ears.

Old 10-14-2023, 10:21 AM

2,456 posts, read 2,263,163 times
Quote:
or the fact that metro Birmingham is now larger than metro New Orleans.
This had to do with the New Orleans metro losing a major parrish (St. Tammany) to fall below 1 million. Not Birmingham somehow skyrocketing up the charts. In turn, we'll be passed soon enough by Grand Rapids.

Don't get me wrong, I'm encouraged by the multifamily growth I see downtown, and that number will surely continue to rise and likely outpace the rest of the metro. And I do think Birmingham continues to fly under the radar.

I'd be curious how the 11,000 downtown population quoted stacks up to peers like Memphis, GR, Oklahoma City, Louisville, etc. Clearly UAB continues to drive growth in the city, with that population ballooning to 17,000 when school is in session.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area