Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2023, 06:28 PM

10 posts, read 17,347 times

Advertisements

I've done quite a bit of research, and I've mostly been looking at Hoover, Gardendale & Trussville, but I'm hoping to get a little more advice.

We're not concerned with commute, schools, nightlife, restaurants, shopping, etc. We want access to a good library system though. Is there a big difference between Jefferson & Shelby county libraries? Where we currently live, its a huge library system and they make it easy to get what you need by delivering to your closest branch. We'd also like to find a nice Southern Baptist church to attend.

Our top priority is a QUIET neighborhood (noise from commerce, traffic, trains, etc is fine, neighbors playing loud music on the other hand will be my villain origin story). I'd love space between houses (preferably filled with trees), somewhat private backyard. Low crime is also priority, but I think that often comes with quiet neighborhoods. Our budget is about $2000 to $2500 for a 4 bedroom.

We found a rental in a neighborhood just south of Grandview Medical Center. Is this a bad area? There's quite a few apartment complexes nearby, but the house itself is on a wooded, sparsely populated road.

We also found some rentals on the western side of Hoover that we are considering, but its a more traditional neighborhood with houses closer together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2023, 01:51 PM

1,020 posts, read 645,927 times
The bigger, more spaced out properties in that price range will probably be easier to find in Gardendale or Fultondale.

I can't think of a bad area anywhere around Grandview.

West Hooover probably means an older home but bigger lot, but still like you say, closer together. Still a nice area that ticks all the boxes you list..

Old 12-11-2023, 10:28 AM

666 posts, read 519,646 times
The area south of Grandview is your best bet.. Especially if you're looking for good SBC churches. Safe, quiet enough in the residential areas, close enough to things, and proximity to the best library systems in the area I would imagine although library ranking is not my forte.

Trussville/springville would be somewhere else I would look.

Old 12-12-2023, 11:29 AM

842 posts, read 830,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by discojo View Post
I've done quite a bit of research, and I've mostly been looking at Hoover, Gardendale & Trussville, but I'm hoping to get a little more advice.

We're not concerned with commute, schools, nightlife, restaurants, shopping, etc. We want access to a good library system though. Is there a big difference between Jefferson & Shelby county libraries? Where we currently live, its a huge library system and they make it easy to get what you need by delivering to your closest branch. We'd also like to find a nice Southern Baptist church to attend.
Gardendale has an enormous Southern Baptist Church, easily visible from I-65 and with a huge white cross right at the edge. The library is decent but not as good as the ones in the higher end suburbs. G'dale can be pretty cliquish, as there are quite a few families who have been there for more than one generation, and this includes the churches. It also lacks a number of amenities of the Over-the-Mountain suburbs, but since those don't really matter to you, then it's probably an affordable option.

Old 01-09-2024, 10:52 AM

410 posts, read 364,628 times
So I'm confused why are you renting and not buying? Are you only going to be here for a short time or something?

Because with a monthly budget of 2000-2500 you can probably get a better place if you buy now(even with interest rates much higher than they were a couple years ago) than if you rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
View detailed profiles of: