Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 04:53 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here used the services of the UAB dental clinic?

Comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 09:23 PM

23 posts, read 116,744 times
I used the dental clinic to have my wisdom teeth out. That was back in the early 90's when I was still COBRA'd under my parents insurance and they were employed at UAB. Having some knowledge of how the Dental school operated, my mother set it up so that I would be under the care of one of the professors. (not sure that that was directly related to her having worked there years before or not). The extraction was done well, anesthesia and all. I do not know how they run their clinics, but I would assume that you would be seen by a dentist in training, and then seen by one of the professors during the same visit.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:44 AM

Thanks. I'm hoping for someone with more recent experience, I would be going for a root canal and possibly a crown. Also, they won't tell you the price of these procedures until AFTER you've had an exam. Which strikes me, Ms Comparison Shop, as kind of strange.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:39 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Just for comparison purposes, if I have to have extensive dental work done, I'll likely drive to Algodones Mexico. Here is a quote from someone I know:
"The dentists are willing to work for 4 hours or more at a sitting and
will shoot you sufficiently full of lidocaine that you're numb the
entire time AND MORE. I had possibly 9 (I didn't count and don't have a
detailed bill yet) crowns and three fillings. Total chair time 16 hours
spread over 6 days. $2700. "

A listing of dentists is here:
Los Algodones, Baja California

Roughly $300 to $400 for a crown is a lot different than $1,000+

Old 01-18-2009, 10:50 AM

111 posts, read 257,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Also, they won't tell you the price of these procedures until AFTER you've had an exam. Which strikes me, Ms Comparison Shop, as kind of strange.
How are they supposed to give you a quote before knowing what you need done? How are they supposed to know what you need done until they perform an exam?

Old 01-18-2009, 05:13 PM

36 posts, read 191,682 times
I have not used personally but I have referred pt's to the clinic that don't have insurance. They charge $87 up front for those without insurance and the following charges depend on what you need. A tooth extraction can run from $60 to $90 per tooth. This is all I know.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:23 PM

Well Baja California is an awful long way from E Tennessee, though I can see with that amount of dental work it would be worth the drive. I don't expect an exact price but it's nice to have a range. The receptionist did hint that it's about half the price of private practice, but private practice ranges from $620 - $1000 around here so what does that mean? Last summer I got a couple of RCs done in west virginia for $475 & 500 but i'd wanted to go there anyway on vacation. I got a crown for $530 from my local dentist because I'm on some sort of "dental Plan", but I'm kinda perturbed because she really ground out my molar to replace a filling and that's what's troubling me now.

Valentine, what's a pt? I may be about ready to just get the tooth yanked as it's near the back and the antibiotic my Dr prescribed isn't working as well as I'd like.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 38,795 times
I have a friend that is using the UAB clinic now. The first day she went they did the x-rays and came up with a plan of care she needed which in her case was to pull all the teeth. She then had to commit to a half a day for each appointment they set up for her the total cost was right $4000.00 that was for all the work she's had all her teeth pulled and dentures. But the money does have to be paid up front. I know somone else who just had one tooth pulled and it was $100.00 and it had to be paid up front.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:53 AM

10 posts, read 70,802 times
I was looking for some info on the clinic too - they are higher than the office my husband went to. It kills us, our kids are insured but we have been without insurance since 2003-2004 and need work on our teeth just to get us by until I get a job with insurance. I heard UAB was dirt cheap but it doesn't sound like it. Thank to those who have posted what they know, guess we'll just tough it out and maybe one day we will have $445 for a root canal -

Old 03-10-2009, 10:00 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Dental diseases are massively bad for the heart. I hate to suggest it, but you might want to consider a simple extraction and a later implant or bridge. If you think dental costs are high, you won't believe how much heart related issues can cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area