Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 12:13 PM

38 posts, read 55,716 times

Advertisements

I was interested in this school, so appreciate this discussion! What about the montessori schools in the area (Hllltop, Creative, and Joseph Bruno)? Has anyone had experience with these? Also, are there any other private elementary schools that offer a more hands on creative approach to learning?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 06:27 AM

3 posts, read 8,174 times
Wow! That does sound like an extreme example! With low teacher student ratios in the grades (usually 1:12 or less), it's unusual for any student to slip through the cracks. The curriculum, though, does allow time for things like reading to unfold. The myelin sheath on the neurons is not fully present until around age 9. This is the "conductor" material for thinking/reading etc. The curriculum is very healthy-brain-centered all the way around, hence two foreign languages, music, and handwork all begin in first grade in addition to core academics.
Students typically test high in language once these skills solidify, beginning in grade 4.
A tour is a great way to find out more and to hear current information and statistics. These are free and occur every Tuesday from 9-10 am.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:59 AM

3 posts, read 8,174 times
My favorite Montessori school is Creative Montessori in Homewood. I like Hilltop, too, but can't recommend the 280 traffic. While Waldorf schools are often thought to be unstructured, this couldn't be further from the truth. The whole curriculum depends on a predictable rhythm. This is especially noticeable in the preschool curriculum but also continues through the Grades. The morning main lesson is from 8:15-11 with core subjects covered block-style in month-long periods. This allows teacher and student to really delve into something and even to work through obstacles (like place value in Grade 2!).

In Montessori schools, there is a certain unstructured quality because the child determines what s/he is going to work on instead of the teacher. This fosters an independence, but my personal belief as a child development expert is that it's really too much stress on the child, especially when they are young.

What I like about Waldorf schools is that the goal is to turn out a well-rounded, balanced child. So, if your child comes to a Waldorf school, and s/he is gifted in Math, the teacher will work on Language skills or whatever is weaker in the student. The idea is that strengths are already strengths, but weaknesses need to be turned into strengths. I like that the Waldorf curriculum still holds the teacher as the authority. This is one way it is different from Montessori. I've written some other articles on this topic, and they are archived on the school's website at alabamawaldorf.org.

I also like how much of the Waldorf teaching is done from the heart (and not only the head). Teachers tell stories instead of reading them, especially in the younger grades. In this way, they can be sure the students are engaged so that learning will naturally follow. It also gives a chance for the child to develop imagination...imaging the story in their minds as it's told instead of always looking at pictures of someone else's view of a scene. In this way, creativity by the child is really nurtured.
Montessori's goal is often the same, but the way they arrive seems mechanical in comparison to Waldorf.
Thanks for such a great question!

Old 09-07-2012, 10:02 AM

3 posts, read 5,031 times
I lived in Vestavia Hills for 20 years, but now live in Trussville. It really depends on what you are looking for. I love living in Trussville as it is a small community, but I have no regrets raising my children in Vestavia. Homewood and Hoover are also good. Good luck to you!

Old 09-07-2012, 11:11 AM

3 posts, read 4,450 times
Very humid here. Shelby County Schools are the best in my opinion since I work in one of them. Highland Lakes, Mt.Laurel, and the Narrows are some nice neighborhoods, but there are many subdivisions in that area. This is the Chelsea School district. There are several areas w/farming but convenient to shopping, etc. Mt Laurel Community has a montessori school, but they also have a public school. Briarwood Christian school is close by also. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area