Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 01:29 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,945,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loverofall View Post
I've seen a lot of post here discussing the best neighborhoods of B'ham but I never hear about the worst. Why is that? I plan to move to Birmingham and of course I've been doing my research. Hoover, Mountain Brook, Vestavia hills and Homewood are those that have been discussed the most in a positive manner. However, during my research, I've also come across neighborhoods such as West End, Ensley, Inglenook etc. Are these considered the not so great areas of Birmingham?
I don't like burningham.

I don't like green eggs either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 02:18 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,081,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locotruckdriver View Post
The Scientific way to analyze how bad crime is in any given area of any city is to locate the demographic data for the area in question and evaluate what percentage of that population is Non-White.
And although being very accurate, using this method often times will be taboo, due to the nature of the scrutiny of the disinfranched subjects that are represented in the data.

You can use any city for this but here are some examples that came from the data here:

Crime in "Fairfeild, AL" is 1191 crimes per 100k, the population is 92% non-white.

Crime in "Mnt. Brook, AL" is 96 crimes per 100k,
the population is 2% non white.

A person may be so upetty as to say they don't like the real conclusion of facts they are presented with, but they can not renigg on unbiased data that presents a universal truth.
So a neighborhood that is 100% black has 100% crime, and a neighborhood that is 100% white has 0 crime? Go to any backwoods all white hillbilly town and I guarantee you there is crime. Statisically, there is probably a lot of meth and wife beating among other various crimes. What you are doing is taking a couple of stats from two different areas that have completely opposite socio-economic stats and comparing the two. It is a class issue, not crime. Look at all the opportunities in Mt. Brook, and the bubble they are in. It is nothing like Fairfield, nor anywhere else really.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:41 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,845,838 times
Just avoid Brighton, Gate City, Eastlake, Fairfield, Tarrant, and North Birmingham, and you should be all good. Honestly, you will never have any reason to go to any of these places if you don't live there, so you won't have any problems, I shouldn't think.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 10,100 times
Trussville was not mentioned, which is a great place to live.
I will be looking to buy my first home there.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:55 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,138,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Ashley View Post
Trussville was not mentioned, which is a great place to live.
I will be looking to buy my first home there.
Trussville is a nice, up-and-coming suburb. Good luck on your purchase.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:58 AM

210 posts, read 402,258 times
Reported in the bham news today 51 metro area schools as "chronic failures" Enough said.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:13 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,138,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unionjack3902 View Post
Reported in the bham news today 51 metro area schools as "chronic failures" Enough said.
And dozens and dozens of others are among the nation's best. So?

Old 03-14-2010, 10:42 AM

210 posts, read 402,258 times
the op was in regards to worst neighborhoods, which seem to coincide with the list of "underperforming" schools. I also tend to think of the school situation as a prime example of what I call compounded "generational defecits"

Old 03-16-2010, 08:14 AM

1,028 posts, read 3,081,755 times
The majority of the Birmingham, Bessemer, and Midfield schools, etc., are failing, but when you see ones like Vestavia, Mt. Brook, and Hoover, they are among the best.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:20 PM

222 posts, read 752,515 times
Exclamation Birmingham

I am retired law enforcement in Atlanta. I have relatives who are still on the job in B'ham burbs.

He loves policing and living near Homewood. Although it's been a couple years since I spent time there, I really liked it. Homewood had a real sweet, walkable downtown square. Had a good feel to it.

There was another younger officer we visited. He lived near Five Points South. The houses were older, but very cool. Five Points South was really interesting. Although I'm quite conservative, I also have an alternative side, that is just fine with piercings & tattoos. It was definately a people-watching place.

Several visits there, with no probs. Then one weekend, we were eating at Cosmos Pizza, when we saw police and fire-rescue arriving code three. There had been several gang related shootings, at some venue around the corner.

My cousin said that the only time they had a problem there, was when some hip-hop or rap act used the club. Reminded me of Atlanta...

Every officer I talked with in Birmingham, has told me that downtown is no place to venture by yourself, after dark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area