Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 10:40 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,913,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hp1167 View Post
NIMBY's keep Boise from becoming SLC (or Phoenix, or Portland, or Seattle, or Spokane, or any city in California....).

You can't have it both ways.
It can be both ways. The NIMBY's who are vocal in Boise are obnoxious and seem to hate everything in life or any growth that takes place in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 11:18 AM

285 posts, read 851,481 times
Lets be realistic, it would be half a century or more before Boise ever became anything like Portland, Seattle, etc.

Salt Lake City.... that could happen and that wouldn't be so bad. My only real complaint about Salt Lake is that it is nearly ALL suburban look-a-like towns with the exception of Salt Lake itself. If Boise City were to be something more like Salt Lake, that wouldn't be so bad as long as our sprawl gained a little more identity.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:57 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,913,687 times
Agreed, but we are already much more cooler than SLC and I would hope that we aspire to not be like them. Boise is its own city, own identity. The only thing SLC has that I wish we had here is light rail. I know of people who come up from SLC to see what Boise is doing right pertaining to downtown and pedestrian vibrancy. SLC lacks in that category. We are going off track from the intent of the thread with our discussion though.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:19 PM

2,942 posts, read 1,642,600 times
Boise needs to host the Winter Olympics, or have a Formula One race downtown, or have a NBA game played in Boise, or have a preseason NFL game. Something bigger than Bronco ball.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:19 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,685,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
It can be both ways. The NIMBY's who are vocal in Boise are obnoxious and seem to hate everything in life or any growth that takes place in the city.
That's just your perspective, one that comes from someone who moves from place to place with no real blood or link to a place.

Boise is my home. You might think it obnoxious I want to protect it, but that's because it's not your home.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:04 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,370,481 times
Boise needs more skyscrapers.

I am going to digress into the off topic conversation taking place and add that I am a native of Idaho and grew up with Boise being my capitol city and I love it here and am proud, along with other family members, to call Boise my home and this fine city will probably always be my home. I also can get annoyed by nimbys in this city because they stoop so low to complain about smart infill and smart growth.

I would love seeing commuter rail here and even the trolley line downtown because it is foresight and preparing for the inevitable because this valley will continue to fill in with people.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:11 PM

285 posts, read 851,481 times
Stopping growth in the city isn't protecting it, it's quite the opposite.

I wouldn't like to see Boise turn into a huge city because part of the appeal is the size while still having mostly everything, but growth is definitely important. As long as it is planned, smart growth, it won't hurt anything. The cities that end up a mess are the ones that senselessly grow and sprawl.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:15 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,370,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILI.EB View Post

I wouldn't like to see Boise turn into a huge city because part of the appeal is the size while still having mostly everything, but growth is definitely important. As long as it is planned, smart growth, it won't hurt anything. The cities that end up a mess are the ones that senselessly grow and sprawl.

Well stated!! The Boise area, not Boise itself but rural Ada and Canyon Counties, experienced a lot of sprawl the past decade or two as people moving here wanted open space, but the tides are turning because there is a push for more density and smart growth, but the grumblers still complain.

Last edited by TohobitPeak; 06-21-2012 at 07:24 PM..

Old 06-22-2012, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILI.EB View Post

Name one city Boise's size or larger that matched Boise's rate of growth at some point in its history which grew properly.

I can't think of one, really.

With growth comes change, for sure. But is it change we want and need? Higher home prices? More traffic? More crime? More litter and trash in our parks and public lands? Worse air quality? How about when the city decides to restrict water use and instead of lawns we have rock gardens?

In my experience cities grow and improve, then reach a critical mass and the quality of life declines. I like Boise now, but I really think we're at that critical point.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
Well stated!! The Boise area, not Boise itself but rural Ada and Canyon Counties, experienced a lot of sprawl the past decade or two as people moving here wanted open space, but the tides are turning because there is a push for more density and smart growth, but the grumblers still complain.
The tides may have turned in Boise city... they are not in Eagle, Star, Nampa or Caldwell.

I'm not sure M3 Eagle qualifies as more density. Were in not for the economic downtown this valley would have added over 100,000 new homes as part of planned community development.

Problem is planners can't do much about density unless you're talking about infill, and every city outside of Boise competes for development dollars so they relax Comp plan recommendations to attract builders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area