Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 02:01 PM

388 posts, read 1,018,262 times

Advertisements

Im a senior in high school, I am thinking of moving to Boise on my own. I have some friends who are going to BYU and NNU. One of my older friends in his mid twenties tells me that he rents a room in a very nice house in Nampa* for $167 a month. He also tells me that the movie theater is 1 dollar! He also tells me that the people are very friendly, he knows all of his neighbors, and the food is delicious. He compares it very much to the South (im from Nasvhille). I live in the Bay Area right now. Please tell me all about Boise!

And I also hear the women love people from California, especially minorities because they are relatively uncommon there!

Last edited by 0'Farrell; 01-03-2013 at 02:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 02:09 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,230,622 times
It's a magical place...where all dreams come true. A pot of gold awaits you. Good luck!

Old 01-03-2013, 02:12 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,911,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0'Farrell View Post
Im a senior in high school, I am thinking of moving to Boise on my own. I have some friends who are going to BYU and NNU. One of my older friends in his mid twenties tells me that he rents a room in a very nice house in Namco for $167 a month. He also tells me that the movie theater is 1 dollar! He also tells me that the people are very friendly, he knows all of his neighbors, and the food is delicious. He compares it very much to the South (im from Nasvhille). I live in the Bay Area right now. Please tell me all about Boise!

And I also hear the women love people from California, especially minorities because they are relatively uncommon there!

First off, there are a ton of threads here about Boise. BYU isn't in Boise, there is a BYU on the other side of the state in Rexburg and one down in Provo, Utah. Do you mean BSU? I've never heard of Namco, but there is a city by Boise named Nampa. There might be some 1$ movie theatres out there but I do not know of any names of theatres that only charge a dollar. If they are that cheap I would be worried about bed bugs or something like that in their seats. (I'm just being sarcastic about the bugs lol ). I also wouldn't say that minorities are uncommon in the Boise area either. Nampa and 2C has a relatively large Hispanic population.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:09 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,506,136 times
lol @ IDASpaceman

I believe there is one movie theater that shows more artsy, independent movies, or older movies, that is only a dollar. But most theaters are the same cost as they are most other places. I think last time I went to a normal movie, it was like $9 or $10.

I wouldn't expect to find much for rentals at under $200 a month unless all you are getting IS a room in someone else's house. That is very untypical for rental rates in the area.

I don't know why the food would be any more delicious here than anywhere else. Food everywhere is shipped from somewhere else, anyway.

Some minorities are relatively uncommon here, some are not, as Syringaloid said. But I've never heard any woman specifically say they wished they could meet a minority, or someone from a specific state. Most people here aren't that shallow. They make friends with / date people they have things in common with, regardless of race or State of origin.

Sounds to me like you have a "Grass is Greener" complex, and your friend is feeding it. Boise is perfect for some people, and perfectly HELL for others. Personally, I love it here, and don't ever want to live somewhere else. But I had a cousin who moved out of the state (to California) and never looked back.

The one thing your friend said that isn't totally misleading is that people are extremely friendly. Unless, that is, you come into the area and try to make it like California. If every other sentence out of your mouth is "Well in California, we did it this way", or "Well in California, we do this all the time", then people will become much less friendly, very quickly.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:34 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,230,622 times
Do they still have the large greeting parties that line the streets as soon as you cross into Idaho on 84? To the OP be sure to keep your California plates...and at every opportunity remind folks you are a California Native...folks love that!

Old 01-03-2013, 08:25 PM

623 posts, read 1,614,634 times
I would like to introduce you all to "The OPC," formally known as Overland Park Cinemas as well as the Country Club Reel Cinemas on Overland. The Boise Bench, as awesome as it is, also is home to these two fine dollar movie theaters. Technically, they are $3.00 movie theaters though I think they are $2.00 for students. On Tuesdays the OPC IS $1.00. They run movies after they've left the big cinemas so if you're willing to wait a few weeks to see a new release, you'll see it for a lot less. And, I don't think there are even any bed bugs! Sweet!

I wish they played art house films, but that's pretty much limited to the full-price, locally owned The Flicks downtown (where they serve beer and wine and food--the greatest movie theater ever). If you are new to town, I'd highly recommend checking out The Flicks. It's an institution.

As for the other things, I'd say, come and visit your friend, check it out and see what you think. Maybe the grass IS greener here. And BSU is a good school that is affordable so maybe you'll want to make this your college town. In any case, good luck, and good for you for checking out potential new homes!

Old 01-04-2013, 02:38 PM

9 posts, read 48,451 times
LOL, if your motivations for moving to Boise are that you are a minority looking for cheap living, um....you are better suited in CA.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:37 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,556,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EWarne View Post
LOL, if your motivations for moving to Boise are that you are a minority looking for cheap living, um....you are better suited in CA.
wow!

Old 01-10-2013, 12:39 PM

9 posts, read 48,451 times
@mattk92681- I wasn't suggesting there was any issue with minorities living in ID. I was saying if HIS MOTIVATIONS for moving was because he's a minority looking for cheap housing, he's better suited elsewhere. Its a typical entitlest mentality you find here in CA that down-right obnoxious. You are not better than the next person or owed anything special just because your skin is of another color.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:11 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,556,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EWarne View Post
@mattk92681- I wasn't suggesting there was any issue with minorities living in ID. I was saying if HIS MOTIVATIONS for moving was because he's a minority looking for cheap housing, he's better suited elsewhere. Its a typical entitlest mentality you find here in CA that down-right obnoxious. You are not better than the next person or owed anything special just because your skin is of another color.
Well, there is cheap(er) housing in Nampa, west of Boise. California isn't cheap and there's nothing wrong with someone wanting to move to where it is cheaper if that's what they need.

Idaho is mostly an Anglo state with a sizable Hispanic population, so the OP probably just wants to gauge the possibility before making the move. I didn't get where the OP was emitting an "entitlement" mentality and I'm usually very keen on things like that. He/she never stated that they were "owed" housing, just that they wanted something cheap.

Many people, including lots of minorities, are having to move out of California to Las Vegas, Phoenix, Houston and Atlanta for affordable housing. There's no crime in that and no crime in inquiring about Boise either.

There's a post in the Idaho forum from a Hispanic man looking to move to Coeur d'Alene, of all places, to open a Mexican restaurant and he was treated very graciously by the Idaho Mod (Sage) and other Idaho posters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area