Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2022, 01:08 AM

5,586 posts, read 5,027,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Dog control and containment is just as big a deal in the country as it is in town.
The biggest difference is out in the farmlands, a dog that's constantly on the loose is more likely to be shot than reported.

Folks don't like dogs running on the loose, or living close to a place that has too many dogs. No one in the country will get in trouble for owning more than 2, but the dogs still have to be well behaved and well contained.

The laws vary from county to county and city to city as well. All the cities I know of allow 2 dogs, and some allow 3. More than 3 usually calls for special licensing. And country dogs have to be licensed too.

the reasoning behind this is 2 dogs are only 2 dogs, but 3 or more is a pack. In the city or the country, once dogs form a pack, trouble is bound to soon follow. The pack behavior takes over in them all when there's no human around who's the boss.

Back when I grew up here, it wasn't this way, but the times have changed.
I had 3 Rottweilers at the same time in a 1968 subdivision (not rural) with no HOA. No problems. In rural area there are no neighbors to complain. There maybe laws but if there are no complaints no problems because no neighbors to complain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2022, 07:18 AM

24,612 posts, read 10,936,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentonite View Post
You're fortunate Animal Control didn't cite you repeatedly for "dog at large." If your Husky kept getting out for a year, you're lucky your "baby" wasn't run over, shot, or lost. Maybe the "cruel and dark" female officer wanted to make sure your dog didn't come to a bad end.

Were you not aware of the rules and regulations before you moved in? Every place has laws regarding animals.
Absolutely. OP knew that her dog had an escape routine and relied on a gas station attendant to call her to get her dog. It is the owner's responsibility to care for and keep safe those they call pet.

Old 04-30-2022, 09:25 AM

32,668 posts, read 48,104,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 370z View Post
......... but we have 3 dogs. I just found put the limit is 2. Un youropinion should I forget about purchasing the home? I'm not getting rid of my dogs..........

I assume that OP's problem was solved long ago, but this topic has come up again, so I am going to say this:

If a person chooses to keep dogs as pets (or any other animal), the safety of those dogs should always be considered. Is the fence safe, is the area safe, are the neighbors going to cause problems, are the local laws safe for the dogs?

If the local law does not allow you to keep your pets and you want to keep your pets, don't buy there. Look for an area where your pets are permitted. Don't put your pets in a position where you purchase and move in and then the law comes around ordering you to get rid of one of your pets. Just don't do it. The stakes are too high to gamble on that. Slightly off topic, but not too much off topic, never gamble with anything you can't afford to lose. Don't gamble with your pet's life if you aren't prepared to lose the pet.

Old 04-30-2022, 03:04 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,389,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
I had 3 Rottweilers at the same time in a 1968 subdivision (not rural) with no HOA. No problems. In rural area there are no neighbors to complain. There maybe laws but if there are no complaints no problems because no neighbors to complain.
You're wrong.
Everyone who lives in the country has neighbors. The neighborhood is only spread out more than in cities.

Believe me, country neighbors complain about dogs. A lot, and they complain to the neighborhood about the dog owner just as much as about the dog.

Old 04-30-2022, 05:28 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,027,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
You're wrong.
Everyone who lives in the country has neighbors. The neighborhood is only spread out more than in cities.

Believe me, country neighbors complain about dogs. A lot, and they complain to the neighborhood about the dog owner just as much as about the dog.
That's only if you are not a responsible owner and let your dogs loose.
Propensity to be a noisey neighbor goes down in rural area. Less people = less problems like this as it is relative to crime also. Believe me I know.

Old 05-01-2022, 12:51 AM

1,719 posts, read 733,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I assume that OP's problem was solved long ago, but this topic has come up again, so I am going to say this:

If a person chooses to keep dogs as pets (or any other animal), the safety of those dogs should always be considered. Is the fence safe, is the area safe, are the neighbors going to cause problems, are the local laws safe for the dogs?

If the local law does not allow you to keep your pets and you want to keep your pets, don't buy there. Look for an area where your pets are permitted. Don't put your pets in a position where you purchase and move in and then the law comes around ordering you to get rid of one of your pets. Just don't do it. The stakes are too high to gamble on that. Slightly off topic, but not too much off topic, never gamble with anything you can't afford to lose. Don't gamble with your pet's life if you aren't prepared to lose the pet.
Fully agree, and I might add, if you're prepared to gamble with an animal's life, don't get one.

Old 05-01-2022, 01:33 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,389,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
That's only if you are not a responsible owner and let your dogs loose.
Propensity to be a noisey neighbor goes down in rural area. Less people = less problems like this as it is relative to crime also. Believe me I know.
Dogs will ramble. Even the most responsible owner won't ever prevent a dog from escaping custody once in a while.
But responsibility does count, and neighbors do appreciate it in the country just as much as in the city.

You're correct about the noise; country living is quieter in general, especially at night. During the growing season, the country life can be quite loud in the daytime.

Noisy dogs who are contained aren't much of a problem except to their owners.

Nosy neighbors are a problem, though, especially when a country neighborhood hasn't had any new move-ins for a long time. Gossip is a very popular pastime in the country. When there's nothing going on, nosy neighbors will try to find something to gossip about, even if it's all made up and totally false.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: