Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2022, 04:52 PM

5,587 posts, read 5,027,424 times

Advertisements

The Feds increased the interest rate and predict to raise it again later this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2022, 07:06 PM

20,153 posts, read 9,043,504 times
I'd move fast if I were you. The Federal Reserve is expected to deliver two back-to-back half-point interest rate hikes in May and June to tackle runaway inflation, according to economists polled by Reuters who also say the probability of a recession next year is 40%. Interest rates are heading for 7% at least by the end of the year.

Old 04-12-2022, 09:02 PM

166 posts, read 116,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
The Feds increased the interest rate and predict to raise it again later this year.
I heard about that too.

Old 04-12-2022, 09:11 PM

166 posts, read 116,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
I'd move fast if I were you. The Federal Reserve is expected to deliver two back-to-back half-point interest rate hikes in May and June to tackle runaway inflation, according to economists polled by Reuters who also say the probability of a recession next year is 40%. Interest rates are heading for 7% at least by the end of the year.
That's not good news for sure. I am trying my best to get things set up by shopping lenders for the best terms. I already have one that has something called Lock Shop and Go. I can get a lock on the interest rate for 90 days and look for a house. Hopefully, we can find a house we like.

Old 04-12-2022, 10:57 PM

Quote:
That high 7%??

Old 04-13-2022, 08:03 AM

820 posts, read 1,070,412 times
Keep in mind that mortgage rates are not set by the Federal Reserve. They are based on a lot of factors including supply and demand. They are more closely tied to the 10 year treasury rates. Many lenders have been rolling out programs like the Lock Shop and Go program you mentioned. They typically do every time rates start rising since if they don't, you will be the one "shopping and going" if you were offered a lower rate somewhere else. Also, keep in mind that in Boise, many builders are not listing their homes until they are about 30 days from completion due to price increases and supply chain issues. Many seller's are also shopping for a home but afraid to list theirs in case it sells and they can't find a suitable replacement. Make sure that you select a Realtor that understands these things and doesn't just rely on the MLS. Best of luck!

Old 04-13-2022, 09:22 AM

1,072 posts, read 795,578 times
Quote:
Yes, if you find something that works for you and is within your budget you need to act fast. But that's been true here for at least 5+ years. We had all of ~12 hrs to consider our current house before putting in an offer sight-unseen. We were one of about 10 offers and weren't even the highest bid. And this was before the pandemic migration madness.

On the other hand, I also wouldn't rush into overpaying, overextending your finances, or buying a place that doesn't really work for you. If we have a recession and/or rates go to 7% this will put a lot of downward pressure on prices. Higher rates hit everyone financing with a mortgage, and the prices this group can afford drops as rates increase and more of the monthly payment goes to interest. All-cash buyers are generally doing so by cashing out in more expensive markets (often with buyers with mortgages) and/or selling off highly appreciated stocks/options... rising rates and a recession will largely stop this pipeline of cash. I just wouldn't be pressured into taking a bad deal and would consider renting (I know, this is also a difficult market here) for a time if necessary.

Old 04-13-2022, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBroker View Post
Keep in mind that mortgage rates are not set by the Federal Reserve. They are based on a lot of factors including supply and demand. They are more closely tied to the 10 year treasury rates. Many lenders have been rolling out programs like the Lock Shop and Go program you mentioned. They typically do every time rates start rising since if they don't, you will be the one "shopping and going" if you were offered a lower rate somewhere else. Also, keep in mind that in Boise, many builders are not listing their homes until they are about 30 days from completion due to price increases and supply chain issues. Many seller's are also shopping for a home but afraid to list theirs in case it sells and they can't find a suitable replacement. Make sure that you select a Realtor that understands these things and doesn't just rely on the MLS. Best of luck!
I don't know but I keep hearing about this Federal Reserve increasing rates.
I was going to do a refinance and cash out but now?

Hearing about the latest increase and future ones coming from Federal Reserve
I don't know now if it is worth it.

I am at a current 3.75% conventional 30 year mortgage. I believe the current rate is much higher now than it was one year ago which was around 2%+

I wish I was ready 2 years ago.

Old 04-14-2022, 09:39 PM

Today it was announced on the news the Feds raised the interest rate to 5%.
Then it will continue to go up more in a few months.

Old 04-14-2022, 10:22 PM

661 posts, read 834,852 times
Try a mortgage broker they can shop multiple lenders in their system at once and pick the best terms and rates.

https://findamortgagebroker.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: