Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2022, 05:54 PM

679 posts, read 812,192 times

Advertisements

I had 20+ great years in Boise. Its a great place to raise a family and the quality of life is the best I have experienced. I highly recommend the Treasure Valley.

It did change over the two decades I was there, twice as big, double the traffic, and homes costing 300% more than my first home in Meridian. That's life.

A family situation required my move, otherwise I would have stayed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2022, 04:46 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
I would chose East Idaho over Boise just because you can get more house for the $$$ from new construction to newer larger homes that would cost too much if they were located in Treasure Valley anywhere near Boise and Meridian.
Yeah.

Is finding a bigger, newer house more important for you than the quality of life you'll have once in the house?

I only ask because my quality of life made a huge difference in my moves. I wanted things that would support my lifestyle and help me continue it whenever I moved.

If moving was so important, I was willing to take anything I could find that I could afford as a residence.
As long as I could continue my lifestyle. If I couldn't, I never lasted in a new town for more than 30 days.

I always had the wherewithal that I never needed to find a hovel to live in, but at least once, the residence I found was close to a hovel.
If it had safe electrical, no plumbing problems, and no cockroaches, that was good enough for a landing spot in a brand new town. Sooner or later, some better place was sure to come up over time.

Old 12-03-2022, 08:16 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,194,333 times
Default Driftless area region- Decorah, Iowa

If you want a very nice, small, clean town in the Midwest check out Decorah in northeast Iowa, bordering Minnesota and Wisconsin.

https://visitdecorah.com/
https://www.midwestliving.com/travel...to-do-decorah/
https://www.luther.edu/

Old 12-04-2022, 11:57 AM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
Decorah looks quite interesting and I am pretty sure this is the first time I ever heard of it.

Old 12-04-2022, 01:47 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,194,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Decorah looks quite interesting and I am pretty sure this is the first time I ever heard of it.
Decorah is the nicest town in Iowa and in the prettiest setting in Iowa IMO. Not at all the typical flat corn fields that people think of for Iowa. The region is known as the Little Switzerland of Iowa and is beautiful. I spent a lot of time in Switzerland as my mother was from there and when I first moved to Iowa from Southern California, many years ago, I was blown away. I had the typical image of Iowa that most people do.

Anyhow, I don’t want to hijack this thread so I’ll leave it at that. I hope the OP finds his little slice of heaven.

Old 12-08-2022, 12:12 PM

8 posts, read 14,112 times
OP here: Very Interesting and good conversation. Thank You!!!

Almost got talked down from the ledge and talked into staying and putting up with the chaos. Then fellow congregant at church told me of all the proposed growth (thousands upon thousands of apartments and homes coming in the next few years right on top of us. Yikes!) and I decided to put some more thought into this.

Financial advisor strongly cautioned us about the cost of real estate everywhere. Even the Midwest. Said that the prices on homes will continue to go up and up despite home mortgage interest hitting 7-9% in the coming year. The country is just too short of housing and people will pay whatever to have a roof over their heads. Advisor said lots of people sell and find they can't get into another house. Maybe forever. Being retired now, that kind of talk is scary.

I did look at Decorah, IA. Nice place!!! But, expensive.

While St. Joseph, MO has low cost of living, it is too scruffy.

So, more thought to be given. Also, we have nothing but time now so it's not an emergency. Things do change.

Old 12-08-2022, 02:09 PM

1,070 posts, read 787,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseBantam View Post

Almost got talked down from the ledge and talked into staying and putting up with the chaos. Then fellow congregant at church told me of all the proposed growth (thousands upon thousands of apartments and homes coming in the next few years right on top of us. Yikes!) and I decided to put some more thought into this.

Financial advisor strongly cautioned us about the cost of real estate everywhere. Even the Midwest. Said that the prices on homes will continue to go up and up despite home mortgage interest hitting 7-9% in the coming year. The country is just too short of housing and people will pay whatever to have a roof over their heads. Advisor said lots of people sell and find they can't get into another house. Maybe forever. Being retired now, that kind of talk is scary.

So, more thought to be given. Also, we have nothing but time now so it's not an emergency. Things do change.
We need to build more housing, yet no one wants it in their backyard. Personally, I'd rather see Boise get denser (more walkable/bikeable, more affordability) than sprawl out across the entire valley (think Phoenix).

Last edited by AnythingOutdoors; 12-08-2022 at 02:39 PM..

Old 12-28-2022, 03:29 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
We need to build more housing, yet no one wants it in their backyard. Personally, I'd rather see Boise get denser (more walkable/bikeable, more affordability) than sprawl out across the entire valley (think Phoenix).
One thing to consider. The reluctance to build more housing isn't going to make anything better. It's only going to drive housing prices up. High demand + very low supply =. sharp rise in prices.

Old 12-30-2022, 12:41 AM

5,583 posts, read 5,011,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseBantam View Post

Real estate is going up everywhere. Yes it's scary and will make you wonder and think that perhaps you should stay where you currently are at especially if you are retired and at a low interest rate compared to these newer 6.5%+ interest rates that are predicted to go up more.
Only thing to do is wait for those interest rates by the Fed to come down again if ever again to 2% or better.

Old 12-31-2022, 01:54 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Real estate is going up everywhere. Yes it's scary and will make you wonder and think that perhaps you should stay where you currently are at especially if you are retired and at a low interest rate compared to these newer 6.5%+ interest rates that are predicted to go up more.
Only thing to do is wait for those interest rates by the Fed to come down again if ever again to 2% or better.
It is. I live in Huntsville, AL and it's going up here. A housing shortage caused prices to go up. To be honest, people are not going to stay where they are. Cost is going to drive people out of certain areas. Demand is outstripped supply everywhere. The "cheap" areas tend to be undesirable areas. But even those areas might see a rise in prices. As corporations get into the house buying game, this is sending prices up too.

In addition, Covid slowed alot of home building. People who had places to stay were reluctant to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area