Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 09:09 PM

289 posts, read 569,725 times

Advertisements

The twilight series. VC Andrews Casteel Series & Hudson series. And I also like books based on tv shows like CSI Miami, CSI, Criminal Minds, & Supernatural, it's like reading about a never before seen eppisode of the tv show. I also like the NASCAR series of Harqulein books.

And I am currently reading the Sookie Stackhouse series. I'm on book 6 & will probably start 7 tomorrow.

And when I 1st started reading back in about the 6th grade (1993) I read every Sweet Valley High & R.L. Stine Fear Street book that I could get my hands on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 10:14 AM

377 posts, read 877,700 times
"Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel" series by Michael Scott. Out so far:
Book 1 - The Alchemyst
Book 2 - The Magician
Book 3 - The Sorceress
Book 4 - The Necromancer

Total of 7 books is expected

Old 08-21-2010, 02:05 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,838,511 times
So far, The Dark Tower series by Stephen King and the Alex Delaware novels by Jonathan Kellerman.

I started on the Frankenstein series by Dean Koontz but haven't read the last one as it got kind of tired (too much going back over the ground covered in previous titles)

Old 08-21-2010, 11:01 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,537,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
So far, The Dark Tower series by Stephen King and the Alex Delaware novels by Jonathan Kellerman.

I started on the Frankenstein series by Dean Koontz but haven't read the last one as it got kind of tired (too much going back over the ground covered in previous titles)
I've only read The Dark Tower series once... getting ready to read it again soon.

What books are in the Frankenstein series? I've read the Odd Thomas series and enjoyed all but one.

I agree with the bold sentence above. If I am picking up book two or three in a series that means I have probably already read the one(s) before it. It would be only logical to assume that devoted readers have mastered the art of "reading comprehension" and can easily flow from one book to the next.
(I do realize that some authors repeat so the book can stand on its own. That is a good reason, but it still sucks being the reader and forced to read re-runs!)

Old 08-22-2010, 12:36 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,160,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
I've only read The Dark Tower series once... getting ready to read it again soon.

What books are in the Frankenstein series? I've read the Odd Thomas series and enjoyed all but one.

I agree with the bold sentence above. If I am picking up book two or three in a series that means I have probably already read the one(s) before it. It would be only logical to assume that devoted readers have mastered the art of "reading comprehension" and can easily flow from one book to the next.
(I do realize that some authors repeat so the book can stand on its own. That is a good reason, but it still sucks being the reader and forced to read re-runs!)
I was thinking about this the other day while I was reading the Sookie Stackhouse series (which I LOVED!!!). I think part of the reason is that the books are released far enough apart that people might not remember everything by the time the next book comes out. So, instead of forcing someone to read the previous book again - they just kind of sum things up a little bit in the beginning to remind us of what happened before. Most of the book series that I have read - I have read after all the books had been published so I read them one right after the other. However, with the Harry Potter books - I used to reread all of them before the next one came out. My mother didn't - and she doesn't have the best memory - so she relied on the summarizing in the books! Still, I could definitely do with out it. It does get very annoying!

Old 08-22-2010, 02:05 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,838,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post

Prodigal Son, City of Night, Dead and Alive and now Lost Souls

Old 08-22-2010, 09:19 PM

311 posts, read 693,956 times
Pip and Flinx of the commonwealth is my favorite ongoing series by Allen Dean Foster or any of his books would be a good choice.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:36 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,537,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Prodigal Son, City of Night, Dead and Alive and now Lost Souls
Thanks!
Going to see if my library has any of them. If not, I can order them from another city.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:14 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,226,380 times
Terry Pratchett's Discworld series
David Weber's Honor Harrington series
Preston and Child's Pendergast series
David Eddings Pawn of Prophecy series
Dana Stabenoew's Kate Shugak and Liam Campbell novels

Old 08-24-2010, 01:15 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,321,642 times
I'm suprised no one has mentioned either Andre Norton's Witch World books, or Marian Zimmer Bradlley's Darkover books.

Then there's:

Robert Crais - Elvis Cole and Joe Pike mysteries
Lee Child - all the Reacher books
Andrew Vacchs - the dark side of humanity in the city
John Twelve Hawks - three books about the Harlequin
Robert K Tanenbaum - all of the Karp family books
Elizabeth Lowell (her Fiddler and Fiora mysteries are being republished)
Jayne Ann Krentz aka Jayne Castle aka Amanda Quick - particularly the ones about the Arcane Society

and

Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars - wonderful, by Kim Stanley Robinson

And tons of others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books